For those of you that remember, a few years ago shortly after CoD: Modern Warfare 2 released, several developers were fired for insubordination at the Infinity Ward offices, and most of the team left and formed Respawn Entertainment. Well their new game is finally here and it’s called “TitanFall”. Thanks to a leaked copy of next months GameInformer, it gives us some insight on their new title and what we can expect.
– Xbox One, PC
– Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
– Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn’t run it
– Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
– They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don’t specify if it would be this project or another.
– Plan to use Microsoft’s Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
– Campaign Multiplayer, “traditional” multiplayer mode, and a “One-Player Mode”.
– Spring 2014 Release Date
– There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
– First person shooter
– “Mech” and ground combat
– “Mech’s” are called Titans.
– They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
– If you don’t want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
– Player characters are called Pilots (male and female)
– They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
– They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the “brain”.
– You need to be cunning as a pilot. “Hit and fade” tactics is the term the game director uses.
– Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
– There are AI enemies on the maps.
– You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
– Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
– Source gives them 60 fps
– Modified Source – “Rewriting major portions of it”.
– Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
– Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
– Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
– Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
– Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
– Progression system. No details yet