Ever since the earliest public testing phases of Overwatch, fans have investigated every inch of the game to find clues that Blizzard had left behind. These clues alluded to numerous things, including supposed heroes that were yet to be added to the game. One character/story, Sombra, has been the center of attention for months on end due to an ongoing ARG created by the developers. Today, at BlizzCon 2016, fans have finally received what they’ve been (painfully) waiting for. Sombra is coming to Overwatch.
Sombra is a hacker within Overwatch’s lore, and will be joining the ranks of Reaper and Widowmaker as a villain within the game’s story. Through the ARG that lead up to Sombra’s reveal, players and fans actually assisted Sombra in taking down numerous in-universe identities, which was Blizzard’s creative way of involving fans in the creation of Sombra’s backstory.
Sombra is an Offense Hero who focuses on stealth and shutting down enemy heroes.
- Machine Pistol (Weapon): Sombra’s fully-automatic machine pistol fires in a short-range spread.
- Hack: Sombra hacks enemies to temporarily stop them from using their abilities, or hacks first aid kits to make them useless to her opponents.
- Thermoptic Camo: Sombra becomes invisible for a short period of time, during which her speed is boosted considerably. Attacking, using offensive abilities, or taking damage disables her camouflage.
- Translocator: Sombra tosses out a translocator beacon. She can instantly return to the beacon’s location while it is active (including when it’s in mid-flight).
- EMP: Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.
You can find a full breakdown of her abilities on the official Overwatch page!
You can head to our forums now to discuss the new Overwatch hero—Sombra!