Today on Xbox Wire and HaloWaypoint the “Halo Championship Series” was officially announced. This will be the official eSports league and format used for competition for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. This format will celebrate the Halo franchise’s rich competitive gaming legacy, while building an all-new platform for the future of Halo eSports. Below are details released discussing the upcoming format:
Halo Championship Series Details:
- The first season of the Halo Championship Series will kick off shortly after the launch of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and run from November (preseason) through March of 2015.
- The official game of the Halo Championship Series is Halo 2: Anniversary.
- Teams of four Spartans will compete in a structured series of online and in-person LAN events.
- All officially sanctioned tournaments (LAN and online) will award HCS points to the top teams.
- HCS LAN event point allocations will be broken down into tiers based on total prize pool and bracket size. For example, a tournament with a $5,000 prize pool will award less points than a tournament with a $25,000 prize pool.
- Several established tournament organizers are already on board, and will be announcing their events shortly. In the coming weeks, additional tournament organizers will be able to apply to become an official HCS sanctioned partner.
- At the end of season 1, teams with the highest HCS point totals will be invited to compete at the HCS season finals in March 2015. More details to be announced.
- In addition to awarding official HCS points, 343 Industries and Twitch look forward to working with and supporting tournament organizers in a variety of ways to ensure the best experience possible for players and fans alike. This includes, but is not limited to financial support, tech support, promotional support, talent and production support, and more.
This is exciting news for competitive Halo fans everywhere who are looking to compete against the top players in Halo: The Master Chief Collection. What do you think about the Halo Championship series? Discuss the news on our forums now!