Beyond Entertainment

Halo eSports: Looking ahead to Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5: Guardians HCS Poll  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that there were enough HCS LAN events in HCS Seasons 1 & 2?

• Yes, there were plenty of HCS LAN Events
    • No, we need more HCS LAN Events
  2. 2. Would you like to see Halo 5: Guardians HCS events hosted by MLG (Major League Gaming)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you feel that the HCS Season 2 Prize Pools were substantial enough?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Do you feel the content & coverage of HCS Season 2 was sufficient?

• Yes
    • No

The biggest problem with season 1 and 2 was playing the same maps over and over again. Couple that with not telling us the guidelines for what they want from the forge maps until they're already submitted and it was just...boring. Halo 5 needs more diversity. I can see some awesome maps in the future, and thruster will make some cool plays happen I hope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd love to see huge LANs as well, but MCC didn't provide that opportunity yet. With the release of Halo 5, I expect a huge growth in competition and much larger tournaments in terms of teams attending. 343 definitely is capable of holding huge tournaments, and they've shown how well they can run an event, despite so many issues with the Xbox One holding them back. More tournaments throughout the year would be nice, and a larger prize pool for top 8 would convince more players to attend. Huge brackets and upsets are what make these tournaments exciting, and 32 teams or less definitely won't be enough to grow the viewership past around 25k per event. As long as the competitive settings aren't drastically different from the out-of-the-box settings of Halo 5, I think we'll see a huge growth in tournament attendance and viewership, and 343 will be able to handle this accordingly. 

Do you feel that there were enough HCS LAN events in HCS Seasons 1 & 2?

Yes. Seven events in one year, two being finals, plus the HCS Cups and Invitationals is plenty.

Would you like to see Halo 5: Guardians HCS events hosted by MLG (Major League Gaming)?

No. The MLG production is unpleasing to my eyes, and MLG.tv is god awful.

Do you feel that the HCS Season 2 Prize Pools were substantial enough?

Considering what they had to work with, yes. I do hope that they'll be bigger for Halo 5, but for H2A they were more than sufficient. This was the rebuilding phase and I'd say it went as well as can be expected with a game like MCC.

Do you feel the content & coverage of HCS Season 2 was sufficient?

It got much better towards the end. At the start the promotion seemed nonexistent, but for season 2 I felt it was adequately covered and promoted.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I just would like to see an actual Local area network implemented for these tournys, or maybe a dedicated server just for only HCS tournaments so that when XBL does go offline we have something to fall back on. I like everything else gameplay wise even if it isn't the halo we have always wanted. It's a new experience, and breath of fresh air. I myself feel that the prize pool was okay. It could be more but I'm not complaining. I'd like to see the same consistency of tournaments just how League is. I alwayyyyyyyys see a tournament, or something going on with league. I feel like that would play a big part in bringing back Halo to its golden days.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As putrid as it may sound to classic Halo fans, I hope that one day we abandon the current HCS format for a Pro League system along the lines of LCS, Smite, and MLG Call of Duty.

^ @@Bravo @@Tashi

Do you feel that there were enough HCS LAN events in HCS Seasons 1 & 2?

Yes. Seven events in one year, two being finals, plus the HCS Cups and Invitationals is plenty.

Would you like to see Halo 5: Guardians HCS events hosted by MLG (Major League Gaming)?

No. The MLG production is unpleasing to my eyes, and MLG.tv is god awful.

What don't you like about our production? Curious to hear you feedback on that as our event production is generally hailed as one of the best.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To clarify the final question, do you mean content and coverage provided specifically by 343i or that which was created by community groups such as Team Beyond? For the record, I believe it's the developer's responsibility because they have the furthest reach and the most resources. Simple things like going ham on Twitter during a tournament or hosting a pro player's stream during the offseason (even if you have to make a contract with them and make sure they don't say swear words or whatever) will go a long way, too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To clarify the final question, do you mean content and coverage provided specifically by 343i or that which was created by community groups such as Team Beyond? For the record, I believe it's the developer's responsibility because they have the furthest reach and the most resources. Simple things like going ham on Twitter during a tournament or hosting a pro player's stream during the offseason (even if you have to make a contract with them and make sure they don't say swear words or whatever) will go a long way, too.

343 Industries and ESL

to the second question, maybe if this was the mlg from back in the day. the current one is a shell of it's former self. open bracket tournies should fall more on our grassroots scene(which we should still be trying to grow) atm

I think the HCS would benefit from more of a season style like the MLG Pro League for COD. In general I think MLG would also benefit the HCS. MLG production is handled really well and MLG.tv doesn't have a ton of issues.

The production with Twitch and ESL wasn't bad but I think there would be more room for growth with MLG. Just my personal opinion though.

I've been teased by MLG hinting at doing a Halo event again one too many times.

Some things are not always in our control unfortunately.

• Upvote (+1) 5

343i has to want to work with MLG. I'm sure MLG would love to have hcs action.