Beyond Entertainment

Halo eSports: Looking ahead to Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5: Guardians HCS Poll  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that there were enough HCS LAN events in HCS Seasons 1 & 2?

• Yes, there were plenty of HCS LAN Events
    • No, we need more HCS LAN Events
  2. 2. Would you like to see Halo 5: Guardians HCS events hosted by MLG (Major League Gaming)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you feel that the HCS Season 2 Prize Pools were substantial enough?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Do you feel the content & coverage of HCS Season 2 was sufficient?

• Yes
    • No

I hope MLG does pick up Halo 5 just so we can play MCC on gamebattles. It would be awesome to hear Puckett cast games again and pleasantly cringe hearing Faruq say "LOCK IT UP" followed by an awkward silence :ghost:

In terms of production quality, ESL does a great job. It's not their fault that the audience isn't that large anymore. I would like to see MLG be included for HCS LAN events, but with their dumb exclusive MLG.tv thing that they do now, it's unlikely with 343's partnership with Twitch. And how many views does a MLG.tv tournament get compared to Twitch anyway?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does Faruq still work for MLG?

He's the announcer for Battlebots and an actor. He voice acted a character in Bioshock Infinite. I believe he's no longer with MLG.

If MLG got into Halo again, would they host HCS sanctioned events like IG does? Or would they run everything, including finals? 

Regardless:

HCS needs more EVERYTHING.

A LAN every month, leading up to champs at the end of the year. Also, more $$$  :ghost:

More casters/analysts: Strongside, Walshy, Ghostayame/Neighbor/Dersky + Simms, Goldenboy, & Bravo would be a good mix of analysts and play-by-play commentators.

More #Content: 343 should feature competitive community vids on the Halo Channel, and have weekly 343-made content, whether it's breaking down the map, strategy vids, pro interviews, or a talk show similiar to The Pit (David Throoper).

A LAN every month, leading up to champs at the end of the year.

You think the pros would want that? To have to be on their grind all year?

Not to mention Puckett being back in the booth would be amazing.

I miss Puckett so much  :wutface: . ESPN MLG Top Ten Plays were :goat:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think a lot of players would love consistent income.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Better than working at Burger King part time.

• Upvote (+1) 5

In terms of production quality, ESL does a great job. It's not their fault that the audience isn't that large anymore. I would like to see MLG be included for HCS LAN events, but with their dumb exclusive MLG.tv thing that they do now, it's unlikely with 343's partnership with Twitch. And how many views does a MLG.tv tournament get compared to Twitch anyway?

What if that was not an issue? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

LANs are great and all but they come around too infrequently. What we've been lacking is week-in-week-out consistent content that isn't on at a god awful time (RIP EU viewership). It's to the point where we literally have designated people who collect and post up stats on pro scrims. No money on the line, no production value, literally POV scrims.

MLG have put on great fucking Halo events in the past. If they don't mind the Halo pros having the option to stream on a different platform while they put in the individual effort to put on a production I'd be more than happy for them to get in the mix. Having said that in my opinion ESL have done a good job with their side of the bargain which would only grow with increased funding / spec mode etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder if you're watching us or other events streamed on our network. In any case, thanks for the feedback :)

So then let's get right down to the real question here.  What is preventing MLG from hosting and organizing a Halo 5 LAN event for Season 3 of HCS?  At this point, I think most fans will put everything that happened between MLG and the community behind them.  So what is the reason MLG cannot host one single Halo LAN tournament with respectable cash prizes?

• Upvote (+1) 7

So then let's get right down to the real question here. What is preventing MLG from hosting and organizing a Halo 5 LAN event for Season 3 of HCS? At this point, I think most fans will put everything that happened between MLG and the community behind them. So what is the reason MLG cannot host one single Halo LAN tournament with respectable cash prizes?

Asking the real questions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys... We have SO much potential. It's completely up to 343 to take full advantage of that. Teaming up with MLG, use their pro team to analysis, get more partnership with other companies... I'm not kidding, H5 HCS could be HUGE if 343 can pull it off correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hoping dedicated servers for custom games will greatly improve the quality of online cups and increase the Twitch Halo viewership, currently Pros only get a couple of hundred viewers each at best (except Ninja) which really isn't enough to make a living off of especially if you aren't winning tournaments. I want to see Pros making a living off twitch alone and raking in 1000s of views and growing the Halo eSports scene, I hope Pros streaming some quality online cup play regularly can start to get that ball rolling a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I took the mlg question as would you like mlg to run the league basically for some reason. MLG doing events withint the HCS but not running the HCS would be good.

Also I said there weren't enough lans, only because of season 2.

If I see Puckett casting Halo again... I don't think I could handle the feels.

@, thanks for coming to the site. MLG is Halo's past, and I think all of us here would love MLG to be a part of Halo's future.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Here are the things I would like to see from HCS in future seasons:

• Less overall downtime
  • More listen-ins
  • Allow viewers to hear crowd noise more often (or just increase the volume of the audience to the stream itself)
  • Top 10 plays from each event
  • Less Online Cups, more LAN events
  • No Pre-Season
  • Implement 2v2 & FFA tournaments (I know this last one is a long shot but it would be awesome to have Halo CE 2v2 and Halo 2 Classic FFA/1v1 side tournaments at each LAN event for a smaller amount of prize money)

Other than that I thought everything else about the HCS was great considering what ESL had to work with. I really enjoyed all the community videos (like the montages and highlight vids) between the matches. I would definitely keep doing that.

Man I'd love to see the Bic flex FFA come back lol.

What if that was not an issue? 

if the tournaments were streamed via twitch.tv instead of mlg.tv then I would switch my vote from esl to mlg.

• Upvote (+1) 1