CyReN

Halo Wars 2 Discussion

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here;

MCC- No ranked at launch (and ranked really isn't ranked now tbh)

Halo 5-Nothing BUT ranked at launch (Except WZ)

HW2- No ranked at launch

Halo 6-Nothing BUT Warzone at launch?

H4 no ranked
  • Upvote (+1) 1

H4 no ranked

But they did add it 5 months later, on Waypoint! 

:(

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've played a handful of matches so far and I noticed right away that super units and leader powers are extremely OP. Three condors killed my max pop of wolverines. Some leader powers can wipe out more than half of your army with little cost or effort, and they refill quite fast.

I enjoyed leader powers in HW1 much more. They were situational and weren't army killers.

Also, it's impossible to micro effectively because scrolling through your units has a one second delay.. really annoying. Hope they fix that. My button presses don't register either when I want to construct a building. Sometimes I have to press it up to 5 times before it finally builds.

I've played a handful of matches so far and I noticed right away that super units and leader powers are extremely OP. Three condors killed my max pop of wolverines. Some leader powers can wipe out more than half of your army with little cost or effort, and they refill quite fast.

I enjoyed leader powers in HW1 much more. They were situational and weren't army killers.

Also, it's impossible to micro effectively because scrolling through your units has a one second delay.. really annoying. Hope they fix that. My button presses don't register either when I want to construct a building. Sometimes I have to press it up to 5 times before it finally builds.

So much this I thought I was going insane, the controls aren't very responsive. You have to build things very slowly

I noticed the slow response time of the radial menus and unit switching too. I think that's one aspect that definitely feels worse than it did in the first game despite the fact that I think HW2 does a lot of other things better.

Hopefully they patch it so we can blast through menus without having to actually stop and double check what we're selecting; it's kind of like buttons on a controller or using a keyboard - after a while you just know where everything is and don't need to look at the letters or icons printed on them to know what you're pressing.

I noticed the slow response time of the radial menus and unit switching too. I think that's one aspect that definitely feels worse than it did in the first game despite the fact that I think HW2 does a lot of other things better.

Hopefully they patch it so we can blast through menus without having to actually stop and double check what we're selecting; it's kind of like buttons on a controller or using a keyboard - after a while you just know where everything is and don't need to look at the letters or icons printed on them to know what you're pressing.

Scrolling through units that you have selected is so broken and laggy. This was such a vital tool in HW1 and now its just completely dysfunctional.

I agree that certain abilities and the Super Units (Condor, Scarab) need to be re-evaluated in terms of strength and how fast you can use/produce them, but Leader Powers in this game aren't nearly as gimmicky the original.

In HW1, Anders' fully upgraded Cryo Bomb COMPLETELY eradicated any opposing Air Units in the late-game, Cutter's MAC Blast could kill an enormous amount of strong vehicle units, and Forge's Carpet Bomb was also really strong against infantry.

Granted, things like Isabel's Ghost in the Machine and the Shipmaster's STUPID Tier 4 Teleport are a little bit cheesy, but they are far from the army killers from HW1.

Yeah, UI is slow. This makes especially blitz much worse experience. Scrolling and picking cards is pain. Many times I didn't actually use card, or used card I didn't want to. Also wish I could scroll cards by pressing button rather then turning stick.

I agree that certain abilities and the Super Units (Condor, Scarab) need to be re-evaluated in terms of strength and how fast you can use/produce them, but Leader Powers in this game aren't nearly as gimmicky the original.

In HW1, Anders' fully upgraded Cryo Bomb COMPLETELY eradicated any opposing Air Units in the late-game, Cutter's MAC Blast could kill an enormous amount of strong vehicle units, and Forge's Carpet Bomb was also really strong against infantry.

Granted, things like Isabel's Ghost in the Machine and the Shipmaster's STUPID Tier 4 Teleport are a little bit cheesy, but they are far from the army killers from HW1.

HW1 leader powers definitely weren't army killers. Only exception is the large cryo bomb if you happened to have all air units and weren't moving. Not to mention we had disruption bombs to stop that sort of stuff from happening, which we desperately need in HW2.

Is this game worth picking up for the story? The art style appeals to me and I like a bit of the Halo lore.

Is this game worth picking up for the story? The art style appeals to me and I like a bit of the Halo lore.

Boom

Controls are decent, good amount of diversity in gameplay, etc.

Story is... meh. The characters/universe/atmosphere are super cool but not much happens in the actual plot and it feels just like a lot of setup for things that will appear in Halo 6.

Don't buy it just for story, but if you are looking for a fun RTS its a solid pickup.

• Upvote (+1) 1