CyReN

Halo Wars 2 Discussion

Maybe it's my own ignorance but I honestly thought the early access to it meant I got to play it as a complete title as a bonus for my pre-order. I had no idea it would be a half-baked game that released in February.

This seems like another MCC where they are trying to push it out to boost sales of Halo Wars 2 (like MCC was for XBX1).

And Halo 5, right?  :simms:

9dbcb74480c11cc74d7ae51a088ea557.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

To be fair, it was made clear that you need to wait 7-10 days for the codes to roll out after pre-ordering.

I don't know why that's a thing in 2016 though.

Where did it say? When I bought it via the Xbox store it said it would become available on the 20th if preordered. Maybe there was some fine print I missed.

What are the issues with HW:DE itself regarding bugs?

tKWsQb5.png

Where did it say? When I bought it via the Xbox store it said it would become available on the 20th if preordered. Maybe there was some fine print I missed.

Missed the notification for this.

It was talked about in the Waypoint blogs. Not sure about the Xbox Store.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was suspended for 2 days from r/halo for calling Reiku78 a shit stain. r/halo is apparently fine with 343, once again, flipping the script. I was under the impression, based on what 343 said, that I was getting early access to HWDE. That is the same shit as getting an unfinished game apparently.

Based on the current state of HW:DE and how late HW:DE Early access was announced, its probably not wrong to assume that it was a last second idea from 343/MS to gather more pre-orders as they were probably pretty low, hence, the half assed turd 343 left on our desk.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently they have stripped the game of a matchmaking system, trueskill, leaderboards, and any sort of ranking structure. So basically they just took a shit on the entire game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can't believe 343/MS fucked up simple thing like this. Jesus

Story of the last five years

To be fair, it was made clear that you need to wait 7-10 days for the codes to roll out after pre-ordering.

I don't know why that's a thing in 2016 though.

totally.

Preorder > preorder saved to DB > DB queried > List created > codes generated (they MUST have a proper algorithm to generate these right? RIGHT?) > Codes sent

I've pre-ordered shit from amazon before, gotten a code from them in 3 minutes in my email. They clearly did not have a plan for this.

I was suspended for 2 days from r/halo for calling Reiku78 a shit stain. r/halo is apparently fine with 343, once again, flipping the script. I was under the impression, based on what 343 said, that I was getting early access to HWDE. That is the same shit as getting an unfinished game apparently.

Thats too funny.  I was suspended from Waypoint for calling him a liar. when he was lying. like he always does.

Based on the current state of HW:DE and how late HW:DE Early access was announced, its probably not wrong to assume that it was a last second idea from 343/MS to gather more pre-orders as they were probably pretty low, hence, the half assed turd 343 left on our desk.

I dont think it has anything to do with MS trying to get more pre-orders.  I think it has to do with the fact that Dan Ayoub is a terrible project manager who like to write checks that he can't cash.  They realized the game was still broken, and changed it to "early access" at the last minute to avoid MCC 2.0

totally.

Preorder > preorder saved to DB > DB queried > List created > codes generated (they MUST have a proper algorithm to generate these right? RIGHT?) > Codes sent

I've pre-ordered shit from amazon before, gotten a code from them in 3 minutes in my email. They clearly did not have a plan for this.

Thats too funny.  I was suspended from Waypoint for calling him a liar. when he was lying. like he always does.

I dont think it has anything to do with MS trying to get more pre-orders.  I think it has to do with the fact that Dan Ayoub is a terrible project manager who like to write checks that he can't cash.  They realized the game was still broken, and changed it to "early access" at the last minute to avoid MCC 2.0

The code process shouldn't even exist.

Pre-order > game unlocks

The code process shouldn't even exist.

Pre-order > game unlocks

The only reason I see for delaying codes like that is if you are running a beta on dedis and you want to slowly ramp up the population and load on the servers for testing purposes.

Which is obviously not the case here.  This is just a total lack of foresight and planning.

Got my DE code yesterday and managed to get some matches in. I was definitely impressed with the improved visuals and 60fps. There are lots of little details that I never saw before on the original HW and handling units feels a lot better.

However, without proper matchmaking and any sort of skill matching, ranks, etc the game gets boring quickly. Absolutely nothing to grind for and I can't see myself playing it more than once a week because of that. I give it a 4/10.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only big thing about HW2 that interests me is the story that Kevin Grace is writing. Blur's cutscenes are an obvious plus, and a great musical score as well. However, RTS's don't agree with me. Barely made it through HW. 

Best of luck to Creative Assembly!

I'm just going to watch the cutscenes on YouTube since that's the only thing I enjoyed in HW1. The first game is still, to this day, the worst RTS I've ever played. And I don't want to hear the "it's on consoles" excuse. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II was on consoles and that game was superb. I was looking forward to what CA was going to cook up but the beta was HW1 with a few twinks and even worst movement. If I was Microsoft, I would feel ripped off if I hired a well renowned RTS team to make my game and all I got was their B team to implement the least creativity possible for a new title. They could have gone anywhere with this game and they went nowhere.

Based off of the teasers, the story seems more "Halo" than H4 and H5 combined... lol

Too bad they didn't tell it through another Halo FPS.

I'm just going to watch the cutscenes on YouTube since that's the only thing I enjoyed in HW1. The first game is still, to this day, the worst RTS I've ever played. And I don't want to hear the "it's on consoles" excuse. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II was on consoles and that game was superb. I was looking forward to what CA was going to cook up but the beta was HW1 with a few twinks and even worst movement. If I was Microsoft, I would feel ripped off if I hired a well renowned RTS team to make my game and all I got was their B team to implement the least creativity possible for a new title. They could have gone anywhere with this game and they went nowhere.

I loved HW1, but after playing it again recently...damn, the pathfinding is just infuriating. Almost gamebreaking its so bad. 

I sort of agree and disagree. I thought Halo Wars was adequately designed for the audience it was trying to capture...I'm not the biggest RTS guy, so maybe I'm completely wrong, idk. What exactly did you think was wrong with the design? I do agree with your comments on HW2. I too was excited to see how CA were going to build on or reconstruct the game's original mechanics...and as you noted, they didn't make as many deep changes as I thought they were going to. It doesn't damn the game in my eyes, but its certainly disappointing and a massive waste of potential.

How was the pathfinding in the HW2 beta? Same, better, worse? I've watched gameplay, but that's a step away from actually feeling how responsive units are.

I loved HW1, but after playing it again recently...damn, the pathfinding is just infuriating. Almost gamebreaking its so bad. 

I sort of agree and disagree. I thought Halo Wars was adequately designed for the audience it was trying to capture...I'm not the biggest RTS guy, so maybe I'm completely wrong, idk. What exactly did you think was wrong with the design? I do agree with your comments on HW2. I too was excited to see how CA were going to build on or reconstruct the game's original mechanics...and as you noted, they didn't make as many deep changes as I thought they were going to. It doesn't damn the game in my eyes, but its certainly disappointing and a massive waste of potential.

How was the pathfinding in the HW2 beta? Same, better, worse? I've watched gameplay, but that's a step away from actually feeling how responsive units are.

They underestimated the console audience severely. They dumbed down the game by so much that it had almost zero replayability. It was a real-time strategy with no strategy. There was no flanking buffs. There were no charging buffs. The game was too relied on heavy units so the audience wouldn't be too overwhelmed with too many units. Wouldn't want that. Are you in trouble and about to lose? Then press the "I want to win" button and it will activate the character's ability. The routes and maps were more linear than Halo 2 and that's saying something. And not being able to build our bases wherever we want was salt in the wounds.

Units

There were not enough small units in the game. It was nothing but heavy units like land and aerial vehicles. There should have been at least 6 different types of the basic marine unit and the game shouldn't have literally rained down resource points as much as it did, thus encouraging the player to buy more heavy units. The reason that this is a problem is because the more an RTS is relied on smaller units, the more options for strategy that open up. What sounds more engaging? Two warthog units, a tank unit, and a falcon unit? Or 4 assault marines, 3 sniper marines, 2 rocket marines, 3 shotgun marines, and 2 heavy machinery marines all in their own part of the map having their specific role and attempt to flank or trick the enemy. But that's not what we got. The game heavily encouraged to just "Select all units" and continue down the linear path. Didn't win that encounter? Should you take another route? Maybe try to create a distraction? Nope, nothing like that is possible. Just create more units and do it all over again.

Bases

Not being able to build our bases wherever we wanted really showed how Ensemble didn't want the player to go off the pre-destined path that they set for each mission. Can't have the player do that creative thinking. Can you imagine? This hurt the game severely in terms of fun and more importantly, replayability. Why replay a mission when the mechanics force you to tackle it the same way every time?

Abilities

Every character had their own special ability. This is common in an RTS. Though they're supposed to compliment the style of the player. Are you passive? Then play the character that has a buff for resource building in the late game. Are you a rusher? Then play the character that gives you a 10% speed increase for small units. Abilites like that compliment a game. HW did none of this. It's nothing but "I want everyone to die" buttons. The air strikes that killed everything on the screen and the super tanks that steamrolled through the map. None of this compliments the style of the player. These abilities are also supposed to be small enough to not change the game completely and large enough to notice a difference. It's a nice balance. In HW, there was a character that reduce the spending by 50%. Like holy shit. The multiplayer meta was a deep as the meta for MM Infection.

Now it was cool to control Halo units like ODST and the Warthogs. It gave another perspective on Halo battlefields and was fresh and fun. Though if HW was not a Halo game, there would have been absolutely no reason to play it.

The best way to explain everything is to play Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth II honestly. There are a shit ton of good RTS's on PC but LotR: BFME2 is the best one on a console and the only console one I would recommend playing.

Creative Assembly could have gone anywhere with this game. Halo Wars doesn't have a strong and loyal fanbase so could have changed it up dramatically and got away with it, even be praised for it (I'm only talking about the game play, not the story). They went nowhere with it. I'm sure the cut scene will be cool but I don't see how this game won't be any different with the multiplayer community being on life support not even a month after launch and the campaign's replayability being severely low.

We'll see I guess but either way, this game could have had a lot of potential.

• Upvote (+1) 2