CyReN

Halo Wars 2 Discussion

So could you theoretically just load up, have you and a friend resign, and then get your five games out the way?

Resigning doesn't register as a completed game, so you either have to win a game or get completely destroyed.

This is pretty stupid, I'm 5-0 in my placement games because I resign rather than wait for my opponent to finish me off and waste my time. I'm not rage quitting, I'm just resigning like I would in a game of SC2 or something, but I don't get credited for a loss that I should have.

For anyone who wasn't aware of the Jump Pack Brute strat, let me enlighten y'all:

• Put Atriox's command points into the economy powers that let you expand for cheaper and put the third into the ability that lets the jumpers lay mines when they jump.
  • Expand quickly and get some raid camps. Start mass producing your jumpers. They cost 170/10, so they're pretty cheap and don't cost much.
  • Get a nice group of them, run them to enemy bases, hit Y on over them, target the base, and watch the brutes destroy the bases super quickly.
  • Put commander points into the beams and stuff that you can use to take out enemy aircraft. The brutes are "hard" countered  by enemy air, but since infantry counters air in this game the brutes will take damage from air units very slowly. You can use commander points to take out enemy aircraft while your brutes destroy your enemy's econ.
  • If you can afford it, buy the upgrade at your armory that lets you increase population cap to 80.
  • Start buying up bases that you've cleared out and win the game by destroying enemy bases and replacing them with your own faster than your enemy can keep up with. You should be winning the economic battle, so you'll win the war of attrition eventually, if not very quickly. Air units cost a lot, so if you can keep their econ limited your HPs should destroy their air troops over time and leave them struggling to catch up.
  • If your opponent tries to counter you with ground units, jump over them to lay mines on them. If you have a mass of brutes you should be fine with the mine damage to support. Infantry anti-infantry unit compositions are being refined to counter brutes, so be ready to have to stay mobile and concede heavily fortified positions.
  • Expand, expand, expand as you try and gain map control. If you find yourself with a solid econ lead and have successfully limited your opponent's bases and they're stuck building units to counter your brutes, get ready to do a tech switch to counter what they have and finish them off.

This reminds me of late game reapers in SC2: Wings of Liberty, except that the brutes are even harder to kill!

For anyone who wasn't aware of the Jump Pack Brute strat, let me enlighten y'all:

• Put Atriox's command points into the economy powers that let you expand for cheaper and put the third into the ability that lets the jumpers lay mines when they jump.
  • Expand quickly and get some raid camps. Start mass producing your jumpers. They cost 170/10, so they're pretty cheap and don't cost much.
  • Get a nice group of them, run them to enemy bases, hit Y on them and watch the brutes destroy the bases super quickly.
  • Put commander points into the beams and stuff that you can use to take out enemy aircraft. The brutes are "hard" countered  by enemy air, but since infantry counters air in this game the brutes will take damage from air units very slowly. You can use commander points to take out enemy aircraft while your brutes destroy your enemy's econ.
  • If you can afford it, buy the upgrade at your armory that lets you increase population cap to 80.
  • Start buying up bases that you've cleared out and win the game by destroying enemy bases and replacing them with your own faster than your enemy can keep up with. You should be winning the economic battle, so you'll win the war of attrition eventually, if not very quickly.
  • If your opponent tries to counter you with ground units, hit Y to lay mines on them. If you have a mass of brutes you should be fine with the mine damage to support.

This reminds me of late game reapers in SC2: Wings of Liberty, except that the brutes are even harder to kill!

Damn, i  wasnt gonna make a post about this until i made it to diamond atleast.

So, I'm going to sound like an absolute scrub (because I am with RTS and Halo Wars in general), but I have a dumb question.

I took out a guys army last night and didn't lose very many units, so I decided to push his base since I was nearby. I got to his base and it had a big dome shield around it, and it didn't seem like I was doing any damage to the turrets or buildings. I got disconnected shortly after, but what was the shield about?

• Get a nice group of them, run them to enemy bases, hit Y on over them, target the base, and watch the brutes destroy the bases super quickly.
  • Start buying up bases that you've cleared out and win the game by destroying enemy bases and replacing them with your own faster than your enemy can keep up with. You should be winning the economic battle, so you'll win the war of attrition eventually, if not very quickly. Air units cost a lot, so if you can keep their econ limited your HPs should destroy their air troops over time and leave them struggling to catch up.
  • If your opponent tries to counter you with ground units, jump over them to lay mines on them. If you have a mass of brutes you should be fine with the mine damage to support. Infantry anti-infantry unit compositions are being refined to counter brutes, so be ready to have to stay mobile and concede heavily fortified positions.
  • Expand, expand, expand as you try and gain map control. If you find yourself with a solid econ lead and have successfully limited your opponent's bases and they're stuck building units to counter your brutes, get ready to do a tech switch to counter what they have and finish them off.

Tried this out last night. I don't know if this strat is OP or if the players I was against just sucked.

So, I'm going to sound like an absolute scrub (because I am with RTS and Halo Wars in general), but I have a dumb question.

I took out a guys army last night and didn't lose very many units, so I decided to push his base since I was nearby. I got to his base and it had a big dome shield around it, and it didn't seem like I was doing any damage to the turrets or buildings. I got disconnected shortly after, but what was the shield about?

Covie are able to build shields around their bases by using one of their four turret slots. So you gotta locate the source and destroy it. Most players use the back turret slots to hide their shield generator.

Covie are able to build shields around their bases by using one of their four turret slots. So you gotta locate the source and destroy it. Most players use the back turret slots to hide their shield generator.

Well then, it worked. I had no idea what was happening. Thanks for the info!

Tried this out last night. I don't know if this strat is OP or if the players I was against just sucked.

its op af if you do it correctly, after the 1st 10 mins of the game its just hunting down spare bases and instantly deleting them.   :intensifies:

I've officially given up on playing this beta. My Internet just can't handle it. I've tried to play close to 20 games and have yet to finish a single one. I dunno what it is about this game but it kills my entire connection so quickly. Hopefully by the time the pc beta comes out I will have Internet service to handle it.

It's a shame because I really wanted to get into this beta. I'll be playing it at release

So it was confirmed Halo Wars 1 is coming to PC as well. Crazy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man, after watching that story vidoc, it really hit me how much I've lost interest in Halo's expanded universe. The loss of the mystery around the Forerunners and Flood really hurts. Atriox is the most exciting thing they've shown, even if he's just a stronger, smarter Chieftain. Hopefully they go into his backstory, and keep him alive for future games. Lots of potential if they make him more than just a cartoon villain.

Art style is looking good. Less glossiness, more callbacks to classic Halo designs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man, after watching that story vidoc, it really hit me how much I've lost interest in Halo's expanded universe. The loss of the mystery around the Forerunners and Flood really hurts. Atriox is the most exciting thing they've shown, even if he's just a stronger, smarter Chieftain. Hopefully they go into his backstory, and keep him alive for future games. Lots of potential if they make him more than just a cartoon villain.

Art style is looking good. Less glossiness, more callbacks to classic Halo designs.

I think some wording in the recent Halo Wars 2 panel implied that Atriox would survive Halo Wars 2.

Hey Guys,

I first wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who participated in the Halo Wars 2 Multiplayer Beta this past June. As a reminder, this was more a technical preview of where we are in development, or as I like to refer to it, a true development beta.  This not only enabled us to test our backend and tuning, but also to put the game in the hands of players early enough that we could respond to feedback.

The Halo Wars team, across 343 Industries and Creative Assembly, felt it important to share with you our key takeaways, and how we will be adapting the game based on your feedback. You took the time to play, so now we are taking the time to respond to things YOU have made a direct impact on.  Community feedback, forums, user research tests, and our own backend systems and observations all drove development changes that the game will undergo post-beta period.

Probably the biggest criticism we heard about the beta was issues with connectivity, de-synchs, etc.  I’m happy to say that, thanks to you, we’ve already addressed these issues in the final game.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/08/11/halo-wars-2-beta-thanks-game-changing/
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This article has really reminded me how incredibly stupid this beta was.

The article is essentially "Hey guys, remember how we released a broken alpha build to the public? Well guess what...we fixed it! We made it actually playable for the final version! Hooray for community feedback!"

I'll agree that it was frustrating, but that's what you get with an actual "beta" and not a glorified promotional MP demo

I'll agree that it was frustrating, but that's what you get with an actual "beta" and not a glorified promotional MP demo

But this wasn't even at beta level. They didn't need to release this to the public in order to discover that it was broken. They could have figured out in their own studio that every other game resulted in a disconnect or a freeze. They could have figured out that buildings didn't have health markers on them. They could have figured out that there was a noticeable delay with many inputs in the game. They did not need the public to figure this out for them.

This build was released at the time it was and in that state so that Microsoft would have more of a splash at their E3 conference. A proper beta is at least FUNCTIONING and is used to weed out glitches and improve balancing issues, it is not used to literally make the game into a playable state. Developers are able to do this without a beta. The Halo Wars 2 build that the public got was so broken that they definitely were not able to extract as much useful gameplay data as they could have with a functioning build.

On top of this, it was another small red flag on the Halo series' reputation. The majority of gamers probably attempted to play the beta, went "lol ok this is broken, good job halo" after 2 games, and then stopped.

But this wasn't even at beta level. They didn't need to release this to the public in order to discover that it was broken. They could have figured out in their own studio that every other game resulted in a disconnect or a freeze. They could have figured out that buildings didn't have health markers on them. They could have figured out that there was a noticeable delay with many inputs in the game. They did not need the public to figure this out for them.

This build was released at the time it was and in that state so that Microsoft would have more of a splash at their E3 conference. A proper beta is at least FUNCTIONING and is used to weed out glitches and improve balancing issues, it is not used to literally make the game into a playable state. Developers are able to do this without a beta. The Halo Wars 2 build that the public got was so broken that they definitely were not able to extract as much useful gameplay data as they could have with a functioning build.

On top of this, it was another small red flag on the Halo series' reputation. The majority of gamers probably attempted to play the beta, went "lol ok this is broken, good job halo" after 2 games, and then stopped.

Have you actually ever been apart of a Beta instead of a glorified release to create hype? Obviously not.

Have you actually ever been apart of a Beta instead of a glorified release to create hype? Obviously not.

Yes, I've been part of plenty, and not one was as broken as the Halo Wars 2 beta, in which every other game, no...MORE THAN 50% of games included a freeze or a disconnect.

Yes, I've been part of plenty, and not one was as broken as the Halo Wars 2 beta, in which every other game, no...MORE THAN 50% of games included a freeze or a disconnect.

Have you played MCC? You have played a far worse beta.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Seriously, I watched a leaked cutscene from SDCC and my interest in Halo skyrocketed. 

Seriously, I watched a leaked cutscene from SDCC and my interest in Halo skyrocketed. 

Link