CyReN

Halo Wars 2 Discussion

And? You had a shit-ton more units in Dawn of War I than you did in Dawn of War II.

Do you think is more fun to play with small squads? when the micromanagement in this game is none existent, you literally have only 1 ability per unit (y) and kiting is imposible too. If you want to make an RTS based on small squads you have to make it more micro intensive have spell casters/heroes and more commands options, like move, hold, stop, patrol, atack. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

HW1 was pretty small scale for an RTS but this is just rediculous.

im withholding my judgement until deathmatch releases, which is soon.  in the first halo wars different gametypes had different unit caps, i should also mention that you can use the "reinforcements" upgrade to increase the unit count.

also the unit cap on pc couldbe larger.

Fix for loading screen hanging.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fix for loading screen hanging.

nope lol, it still freezes after you press the start button... only way around it is to spam b after you press start.

I'll probably be writing a full review of the Beta after it has concluded, but so far I'm not happy. Bullet list because I'll save my full extensive thoughts for the final review:

• Domination forces a timer and extremely linear objectives that butchers not only the creativity and flexible play styles that existed in Halo Wars 1, but also makes matches end insanely fast (which is probably terrible for their late-game balancing data with larger armies, upgraded units, etc.)
  • The presentation is all over the place. I have been playing a ton of HW1, so I may be slightly biased and going through a bit of visual shock but I can't help but feel like everything was much easier to grasp in HW1. Bases had strong contrast that helped identify the visuals of each building so you can track and/or attack them properly. The circle menu was much darker and highlights were in Orange which provided great visual cues for navigation. When you cycled bases, a large number would appear on screen for identification, along with an audio cue.
  • Why is the Armory and Barracks on the wrong side of the circle menu?
  • Dual currencies is a cool concept, because nerfing players via Reactor destruction was admittedly a bit gimmicky in HW1, but why the hell do both currencies serve the same purpose? Streamline it. Supplies should be used for building bases and constructing units, Power should be used for upgrading units.
  • Speaking of currencies, why is everything comprised of janky numbers? Units cost 130, 80, and a bunch of other odd selections. Everything in HW1 was very simple to grasp relative to your current economy (150, 300, etc.)
  • Controls are hellacious. Why is there zero auto aim on the cursor? Why doesn't it tell you when your Y Ability is available when hovering over an enemy unit?
  • Why does the Fog of War on the minimap have no contrast? Why is the minimap so small to begin with?
  • MORE CONTROLS: Global Rally point is used RARELY in games, and double clicking left stick was far from a demanding task in HW1. Moving that to Up D-Pad forced Commander Abilities to LT, which forced Fast-Cam to LB, WHICH FORCED ALL UNITS TO HOLD RB. This entire snowball disaster of control reallocations was completely unnecessary.
  • EVEN MORE CONTROLS: Controls feel choppy and laggy. Holding RB takes forever to call All Units, and afterwords using RT to select your appropriate unit is extremely slow and sometimes doesn't work altogether. 
  • Barracks seem a bit strong, considering you can get two Anti-Infantries, an Anti-Vehicle, and Marines are already strong against Air.
  • Why isn't there a notification on the map when you are being engaged (you now have to use the D-Pad which only brings you to your most recent alert, if you get more than one alert you have to scour the entire map for whats happening)? Why can't I see my teammates reticle on the map?
  • I haven't played Atriox yet but I hear Covenant has lost a lot of its charm and is a lot more similar to UNSC in terms of unit diversity and uniqueness.
  • I like the concept of spawning teams with 5 Marines off the break, but the Warthog is just completely out of place. Give us a Jackrabbit which is an actual scout with no weaponry and the ability to collect resources.

Commander Points are pretty baller tho.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I am having severe trouble with getting past the start menu, the update they released to fix it only made it worse.  I understand its a beta but a beta is supposed to WORK, how am i supposed to test the game if i cant even get past the main menu?  I quit the build 15+ times and it still doesn't work, does 343 test their games before releasing things?

I cant imagine how many new players lost interest in the game because of this, the beta should be extended.

I am having severe trouble with getting past the start menu, the update they released to fix it only made it worse.  I understand its a beta but a beta is supposed to WORK, how am i supposed to test the game if i cant even get past the main menu?  I quit the build 15+ times and it still doesn't work, does 343 test their games before releasing things?

I cant imagine how many new players lost interest in the game because of this, the beta should be extended.

Leave the menu sitting there for 3-5 minutes and you should be able to get in.

After playing a few games last night (and getting disconnected from every single one of them) I've come to two conclusions:

1. This is way more fun than I expected.

2. I am god awful at RTS.

I actually want to get better though.

This is the most pathetic beta I've ever seen. I'm not saying anything about the game, but the beta experience itself is another stain on Halo's reputation. The insane amount of bugs and Domination make this completely non representative of the Halo Wars experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the most pathetic beta I've ever seen. I'm not saying anything about the game, but the beta experience itself is another stain on Halo's reputation. The insane amount of bugs and Domination make this completely non representative of the Halo Wars experience.

My problems with it has nothing to do with bugs but the core gameplay. Hopefully Company of Heroes 3 will be good to satisfy my RTS itch because Halo Wars 2 won't. I'm sure the cutscenes will be cool though so that's something I guess.

Looks like Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II will continue to be the only great console RTS.

My problems with it has nothing to do with bugs but the core gameplay. Hopefully Company of Heroes 3 will be good to satisfy my RTS itch because Halo Wars 2 won't. I'm sure the cutscenes will be cool though so that's something I guess.

Looks like Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II will continue to be the only great console RTS.

I'm not well versed enough in the genre to make too many comments on the gameplay, plus I feel that Domination doesn't allow us to experience the entire game. However, the controls and navigation are so fucking wonky. Halo Wars 1 was much better in that regard.

Can someone explain this game to me. I just can't seem to win, and I just feel it ends in a stalemate. I had this 1v1 yesterday against this guy. I controlled the map, had more basis, more points captured, more money etc...

It just became a stalemate, we just went back and forth, I built max capacity scorpions, he did similar (threw in some infantry and a airship forgot the name). And it just goes back and forth, I attempt to destroy his buildings, he will always win cuz he has turrets and his guys.

This is so dumb having a cap at 80, because eventually everyone will have the same stuff, regardless of map control.

I just decided to go AFK, cuz it was 47 mins later nothing happened. He just eventually quit so I win...

I just don't get this, and I played a lot of sc2, its very similar but this population cap is stupid.

So for those free Halo 5 REQ packs, is it just play 1 game, and then play 5 games?

Do you need to win?

Can someone explain this game to me. I just can't seem to win, and I just feel it ends in a stalemate. I had this 1v1 yesterday against this guy. I controlled the map, had more basis, more points captured, more money etc...

It just became a stalemate, we just went back and forth, I built max capacity scorpions, he did similar (threw in some infantry and a airship forgot the name). And it just goes back and forth, I attempt to destroy his buildings, he will always win cuz he has turrets and his guys.

This is so dumb having a cap at 80, because eventually everyone will have the same stuff, regardless of map control.

I just decided to go AFK, cuz it was 47 mins later nothing happened. He just eventually quit so I win...

I just don't get this, and I played a lot of sc2, its very similar but this population cap is stupid.

Build nothing but basic infantry and snipers and upgrade both, you should rarely bother with air/vehicles.

So for those free Halo 5 REQ packs, is it just play 1 game, and then play 5 games?

Do you need to win?

I had trouble with this. It turns out that you need to have five games registered on your placement games for a given playlist. I had 3 successfully finished games in Domination, but when the playlist changed I had to get to 5 games registered for it to give me the other two REQ packs.

It's quite difficult to make it into 5 games that actually end and register correctly without one of the many bugs interceding.

I had trouble with this. It turns out that you need to have five games registered on your placement games for a given playlist. I had 3 successfully finished games in Domination, but when the playlist changed I had to get to 5 games registered for it to give me the other two REQ packs.

It's quite difficult to make it into 5 games that actually end and register correctly without one of the many bugs interceding.

So could you theoretically just load up, have you and a friend resign, and then get your five games out the way?

Build nothing but basic infantry and snipers and upgrade both, you should rarely bother with air/vehicles.

But isn't it too slow to destroy buildings with snipers and infantry? I just feel they die too fast when sieging.

Every time I've decided that I would like to give this beta a try, it crashes during that animation after the main menu.  I wait a couple days and get the itch to try it out again, and what do you know?  It still does not work.  This game is a waste of space on my hard drive.  Really only downloaded it for the free Req packs haha.

The beta was extended only because a fraction of people even got to play it, all of my friends who I told to try it out have said  they cannot get past the menu either.  

Every time I've decided that I would like to give this beta a try, it crashes during that animation after the main menu.  I wait a couple days and get the itch to try it out again, and what do you know?  It still does not work.  This game is a waste of space on my hard drive.  Really only downloaded it for the free Req packs haha.

The beta was extended only because a fraction of people even got to play it, all of my friends who I told to try it out have said  they cannot get past the menu either.  

Wait 3-4 mins after getting to the Press Start screen. Works every time.

I've had such a weird experience with the beta. My Internet flat out sucks and drops often... but for some reason the beta makes it drop more often. I've tried to play a game almost every day since it went live and I've yet to actually finish a game. About 80% of the time I never actually load into the game properly. It will drop me in and I'm the only one playing for about two minutes then the game totally freezes and I'm completely offline

Wait 3-4 mins after getting to the Press Start screen. Works every time.

ill have to give it a try whenever i get back to my house, thanks man.

So could you theoretically just load up, have you and a friend resign, and then get your five games out the way?

Well, one of my games that counted the other two players lagged out/quit immediately and it was an instant win so I guess so.