Sign in to follow this  
Gandhi

The Viewer Experience

Which Do You Prefer?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Fast Switching
    • Staying On One Person

I just like seeing the good stuff, if that means you have to stay on one person or switch back an fourth, then do what you gotta do but keep the stream on the good stuff ;)

This is kind of off-topic, but very related in a sense:

The dependency on listen-ins in Halo really hurts the viewing experience. Not only does it leave new players in a loop trying to understand how what they are looking at is anything more than just mindless chaos, but it also hinders the ability for casters to paint an important or engaging enough narrative throughout a game and series to keep viewers, but regular and new, hooked.

And obviously, listen-ins can lead to vulgarity that has the potential of turning away viewers and/or sponsors.

I agree here. New people tuning in because of the 343 bulletins on the main screen will be confused. Think of sports, they don't show the viewers the communication on the court while playing basketball, they have 2-4 listen ins during timeouts to get a glimpse of strategy/motivation. So maybe go to one in between games, but not during the game. That's just me though

I agree here. New people tuning in because of the 343 bulletins on the main screen will be confused. Think of sports, they don't show the viewers the communication on the court while playing basketball, they have 2-4 listen ins during timeouts to get a glimpse of strategy/motivation. So maybe go to one in between games, but not during the game. That's just me though

Agreed, I would LOVE to hear listen ins inbetween games and be able to hear each teams strats. The viewer could then determine if their strat worked in the next game and see how it unfolds. I don't really like listen ins during the game because it mainly consists of teams screaming callouts or trash talking each other and in my opinion, that will never allow for a significant growth in e-Sports. During games we should be hearing the commentators and what they think about the game, and could also be discussing each teams strats and if it worked for them or not and why.

I think it depends on the situation IMO.

If a player is on a killing spree or is otherwise heating up, I'd say stay on them until they die, at the very least.

But if we're on a player not doing anything particularly special and there's another who is doing something crazy, I'd say switch right then and there.

In general I think fast switching is better, it gives you a better idea of all the player positions and it stops things from getting stale.

Of course though, there is nothing wrong with staying on one player for a longer amount of time if he is on fire/has a power weapon etc. Perhaps it would be best to get a mix of both. I'm sure fast switching would get annoying if it was constant - likewise, staying on one player in particular who is doing nothing special can get boring.

Yeah at first they were doing too many fast switches, but its perfect now. Goldenboy and Bravo is really a great commentator duo and very professional. no low points or awkward breaks in commentary

That was my switch! I saw that build up and knew it was money!

Goldenboy you are on formmmmm when it comes to those fast switches, as soon as your fellow commentator mentions someone bamm you are on it.

The dependency on listen-ins in Halo really hurts the viewing experience. Not only does it leave new players in a loop trying to understand how what they are looking at is anything more than just mindless chaos, but it also hinders the ability for casters to paint an important or engaging enough narrative throughout a game and series to keep viewers, but regular and new, hooked.

And obviously, listen-ins can lead to vulgarity that has the potential of turning away viewers and/or sponsors.

14hdi.gif

Completely agree, the casters have really been able to keep up constant, on point commentary so there's been no need to go for listen ins. I would say next AGL, gandhi and maven should try to commentate as much as possible as I reckon they could pull it off too (if maven isn't too busy touching up F0rmal)

Agreed, I'm enjoying the casting this weekend at UMG.  I know as a caster it has to be tough to talk so much through each and every game, but it is WAYYYYYYYY more enjoyable as a viewer for more play by plays

I think it's very dependent on the pace of the game and what the caster sees happening in the multi-view. Quickly switching to someone who could possibly make a clutch play or the centre of the action is great. But if that's not happening staying on a player who is giving the casters plenty to talk about it something I enjoy a lot.

Didn't vote because I don't think it's quite so black & white.

It depends on the action and the player, clearly the Roy match on Onyx was the right decision to be that long on him, but I liked the fast switching, it just felt like the switched to the person really fast who was going to do something big

I prefer fast switching so you can be in action much faster . Sometimes when you are too long with 1 player you can miss a lot . However as it was said - to let people understand tactics and why someone acting like he is - eg not taking enemy flag but going different way slow changinf of PoV