Sign in to follow this  
Cursed Lemon

Here I go...makin' a video again - rant about Halo's release strategy

Seeing Halo in the current state it is in makes me want to quit gaming all together. MCC is in a playable state, but no one fucking plays it because of the shitty launch. A majority of the people playing now will leave to go play Halo 5 and Black Ops 3. MCC's only hope is for it to go on the Games With Gold list. 

Idk, man. I don't see how we all can still hold our breath with this franchise knowing that 343 won't listen.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Seriously...WTF is Halo at this point? Call of Destiny: League of Battlefield Evolved? Who thought it was a good idea to cram three different games into one MP experience? Was their strategy "fuck it see now everyone will LOVE Halo because its every modern trend put into one game!" Legit insanity describes the last few years of Halo pretty accurately. Lemon hit it on the head when he said Halo's MP balance is simple in terms of quantity but very delicate. When you have an Arena-style Sandbox shooter every single change is felt 100x fold due to the nature of the lengthier encounters and how every single element in the game matters and is interdependent from jump height to reducing the damage of a particular weapon like the BR from a 4-shot to a 5-shot. If you add sprint, well there goes 100 percent of the previous classic map designs available for comp play! There goes the "Two men enter, the better man wins" type of personal in your face nature of combat that the Halo trilogy(mostly HCE+H2 but I digress) is known for. If you add a little randomness to the BR, well there goes the pace of the game and the style of the game is now turned into a much more passive nature.

The point is you cant just bend a game like that to your will and just add whatever mechanic is "hot" even when it makes zero sense from a design perspective like 343 has been trying to do, it WILL implode in your face. In a insta-kill load-out shooter all the weapons function similarly and the player can choose his play-style so for example if the Ak47 is ruined because of a change the player can just pick another similar weapon in its class to take its place. The game utilizes much more animations and the game mechanics are not nearly as interdependent, ruining a execution element or an identity of a map or weapon is much harder.  I would say they are the tougher shooters to innovate on as one change can literally "ruin" the game for hardcore fans of the previous titles and execute properly and require developers who are 100 percent in tune and true to that particular balance. I will be shocked if Halo 5 pulls 50k on average after a month.

take the dregs of bad or poorly placed design philosophy from fasa and gears 3 and judgment. chuck in some current trends / relevancy / immersion nonsense (most popular games are the same as they were 10 years ago...and melee is still going strong) and a "we know whats best" attitude and that's more or less where we are at now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Amazing video, 5 star thread. Liked and favorited.

It's nice to see that not everyone on this forum is in the "H5 hype train!!!1!!, REQ packs, WARZONE, #HuntTheTruth " state of mind. The amount of 343i apologists in the H5 thread blows my mind.

Exactly. Glad to see there's a thread where you don't get neg-bombed for not praising 343 and Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Great video, its about time someone said what we are all thinking in a fun constructive manner.

I'd love if you done more videos like this. Only so many things you can say I guess, the editing etc was real fun in this video.

12 seconds in and it is already the best Halo related video ever

EDIT: Spin off part is on point and absolutely Multiplayer shouldn't be touched ever

Second time watching the video is worth it 

and the writing, arguments, humor, criticism....

This Video is just Genius

Exactly. Glad to see there's a thread where you don't get neg-bombed for not praising 343 and Halo 5.

Except CL actually brings up CONSTRUCTIVE points

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like warzone is going to flop and have a smaller population than normal ts, btb and maybe even hcs after the first couple of months.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The spin-off argument is perfectly valid and one wonders why MS, never a company to shy away from cash cows regardless of their appeal (see: Fable), hasn't really taken advantage of it (Halo Wars and that dumb tablet game aside). However, I can't help but feel that the ship has sailed. Bungie and 343 have collectively managed to shaft Halo so badly that the franchise just doesn't have the pull it once did. The popularity of CoD et al hasn't helped with this, obviously. For me, it seems like MS might actually be building to the ideas you suggest, and you might've actually identified their entire long-term strategy. Stick a bunch of stolen gimmicks into Halo in a vain attempt to make it popular again and then start churning out the spin-offs. Problem is, even the casuals just aren't interested in this bastardised Battlehalo of Duty and Honor: Destiny Edition thing that the franchise has become.

If Halo was as big as it was in 2007, when one would routinely log on to Halo 3 (this was right when the first Modern Warfare came out) and saw six figure population numbers at any time of day, then the spin-offs would be welcomed with open arms. Back then, they might even have helped MS win the war against Activision and the rise of the modern military shooter, but nowadays Halo just ain't that big. They opened their E3 show with it and comment lists and livestreams everywhere collectively sighed. Yeah, Reach and H4 sold record numbers and H5 will do well too, but that's only because video games are becoming more and more mainstream, with more people owning consoles than ever before. So-called "records" are going to get broken every single year until we reach some sort of saturation point.

Even idiots realise they shouldn't stick their hand in the fire when it burns, and the Halo 4 population stats demonstrate this sort of thing perfectly. A lot of people bought that game and plenty will buy this one, but as the series continues to disappoint, the name will continue to be dragged through the mud and people will stop playing, putting the very survival of the series in jeopardy, let alone the hope of any spin-offs.

That said, I'm not quite as negative on Halo 5 as certain people. I only got my Xbox One recently, I didn't play the beta. I've watched a lot of footage and can tell it sure as hell ain't Halo the way I know it but.. well, let's not get into that. You make some great points Lemon, as always.

• Upvote (+1) 3