Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

Beach-Lan 4 + Tournament - August 8th-15th

I think that using the stream station in that way would be really cool its just that in order to accomplish that Mcdick or somebody else would have to be kicking people off of it to allow "better" players on the stream. I don't think anyone would enjoy being told that and it would be even more unpleasant to be the guy to say it. If only the beach house had super internet and all the streaming stuff was cheap and easy to setup, then we could just stream every TV and let you guys change channels depending on who you want to watch play. If you want to talk about something more organized you really should just talk to McDick yourself, its not like he is an unapproachable guy and playing telephone is always kinda lame.

Fair enough. Is he on Beyond? How do I reach him?

Fair enough. Is he on Beyond? How do I reach him?

Facebook may be the easiest way but he is on here as @@McDick. I should probably just tell him to check the thread.

I think it would be fine to have lesser players too, in fact that might boost beach LAN participation if they get to be on the stream, but maybe have the top players on during prime time?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Facebook may be the easiest way but he is on here as @@McDick. I should probably just tell him to check the thread.

That'd be awesome.  He may not realize how much interest this stream could drum up if it's done well.

Hello, minions.  Thanks for the post, Teapot.  I will try to get on here a few times before Beach LAN, but the best way to get at me is to message me on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=5217870).  

Regarding new players, everyone is welcome, but you may get yelled at if you're just ignorant of the game.  As others have said, it is not very fun to play with a clueless partner for 3 hours.  Many of the best players in the country are coming and it may be a better move on your part to make it to a few smaller LANs and learn the basics first.  There are good players scattered throughout the country.  If anyone is interested in learning H1, in all likelihood, I can put you in contact with some good players within driving distance.  A few of you have said that you are pretty close to me; don't hesitate to message me and we can set up a small LAN.

Regarding streaming and "drumming up interest," I am willing to be persuaded otherwise, but this is not a priority of mine.  My primary objective is for everyone to have a good time.  There were 43 people at the last BL and I don't think too many more people could be included without compromising the environment for everyone.  So, if there were any more interest, I would likely have to turn people away.  Also, streaming seems like a hassle and a waste of time.  I would much rather record games and post them to youtube.  I have about 3,000 games up on my channel already: https://www.youtube.com/user/jwm03g.  People can watch the games they want, when they want, as opposed to getting stuck with whatever happens to be streaming.  Another problem is that people have different TV preferences.  So no matter what station you set up to stream, some people will prefer another one. 

snip

When I said drumming up interest, I meant in high level CE, not in attending the LAN.  I know Beach LAN pulls great attendance.  Recording the games and uploading them to Youtube is awesome for guys that already play and want to get better, but raw gameplay won't do much to grow the scene.  Beach LAN is a pretty special thing, very unique nowadays, and a live stream with good players casted by knowledgeable commentators could draw a big audience.  There is a real chance to get a lot of new people interested in CE and the LAN scene with what you're doing here.  But it's your LAN and your rules.  If you're not interested in the potential of streaming this thing, then I respect that and I'll drop it. Regardless of what you decide to do, I'm still dying to make it out to this thing next year.

Again, I am not dogmatic about "drumming up interest" one way or the other.  I am just saying I don't see the point.  Maybe it is to attract sponsors, something Ogre2 tried to make happen at BL3, or maybe it's increase the interest in H1, generally.  But I think those are more ambitious than realistic.  Maybe I'm wrong.  As of right now, I am good on attendance and I'm skeptical that a stream would attract sponsors. 

Also, regarding commentators, I think that would be too much of a hassle to try to do live.  But if someone is interested in doing that, I can provide the raw video and you can do whatever you want before I post on youtube. 

The purpose of a live stream is everyone watching at once and chatting as things happen. It's impossible to recreate that watching it on YouTube later. New players can learn more about the game and its culture from a live stream and chat. As Zach said, I'm not demanding anything, just explaining the positives of live streaming. Beach LAN feels like the one big event CE has left. To me it's not about sponsors, it's about growing the game and player count. Melee had a good revival, why not CE?

If you think it's a hassle, then no worries. It's cool that we even have this LAN at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also, regarding commentators, I think that would be too much of a hassle to try to do live.  But if someone is interested in doing that, I can provide the raw video and you can do whatever you want before I post on youtube. 

I must emphasize that through very small things we can significantly increase the experience for people who are not in attendance. 

A few examples:

• Requiring to players use their real gamertags on stream
  • Banning players from playing multiple series on the stream station
  • Requiring players to move from side stations onto the stream station if it is unoccupied to have consistent games being streamed
  • When the tournament(s) happen create a sheet containing the tiers players are assigned to and post a picture to this thread
  • Post a picture of who players are assigned to and where they are in the bracket
  • Updates on who beats who during the tournament

If we did that and streamed it to legends twitch it would have a reasonable balance of effort and exposure. It is ultimately on the part the individual to get involved with halo 1 but there is now a large number of people who have been exposed to the game as a result of MCC and maybe making the effort we are suggesting is the key to funneling those players to where halo 1 is really played : LAN. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

All great suggestions.  I plan to stream for sure.  But I think for the most competitive games, it's best to cap, rather than stream. 

All great suggestions.  I plan to stream for sure.  But I think for the most competitive games, it's best to cap, rather than stream. 

They dont have to be seperate things, with the good majority of those newer samsung tvs they have a monitor out port so you can run the game via component through one capture card then hook a second up to the monitor out port. The one using the monitor out might be slightly less clear due to it being fed from composite cables but it shouldnt be significant enough to matter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hard way has a really good point. Apart from the awful video quality (i know this isn't a problem now). No commentary is the #1 reason i could not be fucked watching ce matches. Even when you play the game its not the same as having the subtleties explained on the way players move and look where they look depending on the situation.

A good example is jumping backwards against the wall in dark tower (bc) or standing on health pk last second On chill out to give your team mate a random. You're very unlikely to notice these things just watching the gameplay footage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They dont have to be seperate things, with the good majority of those newer samsung tvs they have a monitor out port so you can run the game via component through one capture card then hook a second up to the monitor out port. The one using the monitor out might be slightly less clear due to it being fed from composite cables but it shouldnt be significant enough to matter.

Pretty sure if you're on the component input on the tv the monitor out doesn't do anything. Otherwise people would have never bought Hauppauges

If I tried to commentate a high level H1 game, I would have to non-stop talk/explain. That sounds so exhausting. And, obviously, you would only want your most knowledgeable to do the commentating so they could explain what a lesser player did wrong, which is probably more important than explaining what they did right. It's just so fast paced. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure if you're on the component input on the tv the monitor out doesn't do anything. Otherwise people would have never bought Hauppauges

That's pretty lame but it makes sense that they would do something like that.

If I tried to commentate a high level H1 game, I would have to non-stop talk/explain. That sounds so exhausting. And, obviously, you would only want your most knowledgeable to do the commentating so they could explain what a lesser player did wrong, which is probably more important than explaining what they did right. It's just so fast paced. 

you should def commentate over some footage....would love to hear your insight on a full match or two...pause.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Another GOAT added to the LAN list, this scrub named patc.. i mean skillz is going.

Let me put it like this. I've played halo since CE came out to this day. I stopped watching competitive Halo at the end of H3's lifespan. I consider myself in the highest "tier" of Halo fandom like many others here.

If you were to put the capped videos solely on YouTube, I probably wouldn't watch them. 99% sure I couldn't care to.

If I heard here was a twitch stream with a commentator of the LAN, I almost surely would stop what I was doing to watch it.

Two very different experiences.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It would be awesome if we can get some live commentary but people are paying good money to go down and play. If they're capable of setting up a good stream or two they still need 1 or 2 people who are willing to talk and not play. @@Jeenyus is the GOAT nerd though so hopefully they can get something together.

If you understand a high level of CE, I find watching high level gameplay to be incredibly entertaining even without commentary. Even though I'm not a top player I can recognize the movement and positioning of top players and its awesome to see how many little nuances there are that effect the game.

It would be awesome if we can get some live commentary but people are paying good money to go down and play. If they're capable of setting up a good stream or two they still need 1 or 2 people who are willing to talk and not play. @@Jeenyus is the GOAT nerd though so hopefully they can get something together.

I'm going next year.  I actually want to commentate.  Definitely not the entire time, as I'd lose my voice and people would get sick of me (and obviously I would want to play too), but I would totally pull myself away to commentate a money match, tournament matches, or just 4 really top tier players duking it out.  Maybe I could pull people away for a game or two at a time to cast a game with me.  But obviously a lot of that is out of my hands.  I hope I get the opportunity.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm going next year. I actually want to commentate. Definitely not the entire time, as I'd lose my voice and people would get sick of me (and obviously I would want to play too), but I would totally pull myself away to commentate a money match, tournament matches, or just 4 really top tier players duking it out. Maybe I could pull people away for a game or two at a time to cast a game with me. But obviously a lot of that is out of my hands. I hope I get the opportunity.

cell phone neg :(