Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

Beach-Lan 4 + Tournament - August 8th-15th

Holy crap I am just 4 hours away. I've never played halo 1 competitively, only the future games. I think I'd be able to adapt quickly, how friendly is the environment to new people?

Holy crap I am just 4 hours away. I've never played halo 1 competitively, only the future games. I think I'd be able to adapt quickly, how friendly is the environment to new people?

You will learn a LOT, like your brain might melt.

Not sure if Beach Lan is the right place, people like me can show you some things

• Upvote (+1) 1

This certainly isn't an entry level LAN, so while I can't speak for all of them on how welcoming they would be, I can tell you that there's probably an expectation that you can time weapons and obtain weapons as well as constantly give your teammates good spawns. I could most likely get you in contact with McDick, but 2v2 CE is such a selfless game and a lot of actions/movements could indirectly effect your teammate throughout the whole game. It can definitely be frustrating when you have a teammate who isn't playing with your teammates best interest in mind.

I'd suggest at the very least to learn the spawn system and practice timing/obtaining weapons before going to a LAN like this. @@Droid, I might be wrong but you're sorta new right? How much did you know for your first BL?

This certainly isn't an entry level LAN, so while I can't speak for all of them on how welcoming they would be, I can tell you that there's probably an expectation that you can time weapons and obtain weapons as well as constantly give your teammates good spawns. I could most likely get you in contact with McDick, but 2v2 CE is such a selfless game and a lot of actions/movements could indirectly effect your teammate throughout the whole game. It can definitely be frustrating when you have a teammate who isn't playing with your teammates best interest in mind.

I'd suggest at the very least to learn the spawn system and practice timing/obtaining weapons before going to a LAN like this. @@Droid, I might be wrong but you're sorta new right? How much did you know for your first BL?

In terms of knowledge I honestly was pretty bad. I knew hardly any nade tricks, new some spawns, and I did fine. Players kind of played in select groups around their skill range for most of the Lan. So I was playing people at and below my skill level for the majority of the Lan. Even then like in my situation lanning with McDick occasionally is that a decent player can/will elevate your playing ability. They're always in great positions and believe me they'll have no problem telling what to do. You might get yelled at by some of them (I'm not pointing out any names  :ghost: ), but overall it's a blast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know for sure since I started with h1, but I imagine learning the series in the other direction would be strangely counter intuituve.

For instance, in h1 there are so many circumstances where it's better to die than to live. Also, standing certain places to give spawns or randoms that lack any cover or other reason to be there.

It probably seems strange when the object is to kill people and not be killed. You could go 20-10 but your partner dies 40 times and it absolutely could be your fault.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know for sure since I started with h1, but I imagine learning the series in the other direction would be strangely counter intuituve.

For instance, in h1 there are so many circumstances where it's better to die than to live. Also, standing certain places to give spawns or randoms that lack any cover or other reason to be there.

It probably seems strange when the object is to kill people and not be killed. You could go 20-10 but your partner dies 40 times and it absolutely could be your fault.

40 deaths? No one could ever die that much... SO THIS WAS MY FAULT?!

http://s4.postimg.org/4c47ifjq5/Screenshot_1.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly it may not be exactly the funnest first experience with the game, people usually run series that last 10-14 games and it usually amounts to over 2 hours of playing with one teammate. People's estimated skill is not always accurate and you may find yourself on the receiving end of some very lopsided series with the expectation that you are going to play it through to the finish. Not trying to discourage you or nothing but its important that you know what you are getting into.

@@Droid, you bringing your stream stuff again this year?

Honestly it may not be exactly the funnest first experience with the game, people usually run series that last 10-14 games and it usually amounts to over 2 hours of playing with one teammate. People's estimated skill is not always accurate and you may find yourself on the receiving end of some very lopsided series with the expectation that you are going to play it through to the finish. Not trying to discourage you or nothing but its important that you know what you are getting into.

@@Droid, you bringing your stream stuff again this year?

Most likely, it's my actual tower though so I have to figure out a better way of transporting it.

Most likely, it's my actual tower though so I have to figure out a better way of transporting it.

You should try and hook it up to some of the better tvs this year, some people were saying they didnt want to play on stream due to the tvs being used. Maybe those 27'' samsungs to capture some FFA?

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Droid, any chance you can get people to commentate a series every now and then?  How close is the streaming setup to the station being played on?  Would someone be able to do that without disrupting the match?

• Upvote (+1) 2

You should try and hook it up to some of the better tvs this year, some people were saying they didnt want to play on stream due to the tvs being used. Maybe those 27'' samsungs to capture some FFA?

That was mostly due to the set up of the stations so that one I ended up using was in the best location at the time. I'm going to talk to McDick and get better tvs and and an actual table for my computer this time. I would love to capture 2v2s and FFAs for sure.

@@Droid, any chance you can get people to commentate a series every now and then?  How close is the streaming setup to the station being played on?  Would someone be able to do that without disrupting the match?

Eh not really. Last time I used my Black Magic Intensity Pro (which is dying on me) and that was literally right next to the stations. On top of that I have to find people who want to commentate (not me since I want to actually Lan  :lxthul: ). It's pretty low on the list; I'm just more worried about having decent audio and video this time as last time not having the computer grounded affects the audio with crazy feedback.

That was mostly due to the set up of the stations so that one I ended up using was in the best location at the time. I'm going to talk to McDick and get better tvs and and an actual table for my computer this time. I would love to capture 2v2s and FFAs for sure.

Eh not really. Last time I used my Black Magic Intensity Pro (which is dying on me) and that was literally right next to the stations. On top of that I have to find people who want to commentate (not me since I want to actually Lan  :lxthul: ). It's pretty low on the list; I'm just more worried about having decent audio and video this time as last time not having the computer grounded affects the audio with crazy feedback.

Maybe i should bring my usb audio interface and we can run some lengthy mic cable into another room with another lengthy cable hooked to a mirrored monitor.

Eh not really. Last time I used my Black Magic Intensity Pro (which is dying on me) and that was literally right next to the stations. On top of that I have to find people who want to commentate (not me since I want to actually Lan :lxthul: ). It's pretty low on the list; I'm just more worried about having decent audio and video this time as last time not having the computer grounded affects the audio with crazy feedback.

I want to make it out next year and cast the money matches/tournament matches. I'd love to do that. Logistically, if we did what Cujjer suggest with the long mic cords and such, could it be set up in a different room?

I want to make it out next year and cast the money matches/tournament matches. I'd love to do that. Logistically, if we did what Cujjer suggest with the long mic cords and such, could it be set up in a different room?

Maybe. The only thing is the noise from everyone else plus a couple of the rooms in the main house people are actually staying in. @@Cujjer I would say bring any of that video gear you have and we'll figure out the rest once it gets closer to Lan time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd love to go to a LAN like this, but I'm a scrub and don't have any OG gear anymore. Not to mention lack of money. Can't wait to see some great gameplay

Nothing is really stopping you guys from taking the stream, doing some sort of screencap on it and casting from there but im not sure if we have a way of streaming it directly to you so it looks and feels nicer. The thing that stands out to me the most is that if there is a stream up you are seeing 1 out of the 8 or 9 games that are occuring at any one time. Because of the amount of games people play in a series you could be stuck watching the same people for 2 or more hours if they decide do the same players but different team combinations. You dont have the liberty of just walking to another station and watching a more enjoyable matchup. I hate to say it but when i was there last year i honestly didnt spend much time thinking about anything other then where i was at that moment. I had a friend who texted me about how it was going and it was insane to me that i saw that text 2 days after he had sent it. Having a stream that is a set it and forget it sort of thing might be all we can bring ourselves to do for at least the average games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyway to come to this for less than the full week? Tampa is only two hours away so I could make the trip

It's not possible to commentate over the cast remotely is it? Wouldn't mind even doing it myself if I had a partner like @@Hard Way with me on it.

That would actually be a ton of fun.  If it's possible I'm down.

@@Cujjer, any way you could talk to McDick about the stream and see if he'd be willing to cooperate and help put the most high profile games on the stream station?  This thing has potential to be special if we put some effort into it.

That would actually be a ton of fun. If it's possible I'm down.

@@Cujjer, any way you could talk to McDick about the stream and see if he'd be willing to cooperate and help put the most high profile games on the stream station? This thing has potential to be special if we put some effort into it.

That's what I'm thinking. There should be a "main stage" of sorts, haha. I think it would really help to promote beach LAN.

That would actually be a ton of fun.  If it's possible I'm down.

@@Cujjer, any way you could talk to McDick about the stream and see if he'd be willing to cooperate and help put the most high profile games on the stream station?  This thing has potential to be special if we put some effort into it.

I think that using the stream station in that way would be really cool its just that in order to accomplish that Mcdick or somebody else would have to be kicking people off of it to allow "better" players on the stream. I don't think anyone would enjoy being told that and it would be even more unpleasant to be the guy to say it. If only the beach house had super internet and all the streaming stuff was cheap and easy to setup, then we could just stream every TV and let you guys change channels depending on who you want to watch play. If you want to talk about something more organized you really should just talk to McDick yourself, its not like he is an unapproachable guy and playing telephone is always kinda lame.