Sign in to follow this  
Temperistic

Whatever happened to Faruq Tauheed?

Is this the American version of Robot Wars?

Robot Wars was awesome. I wish "flip bots" didn't become the norm and make it boring.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Watched it for the first time tonight.  Awesome to see all of the different types of robots that people make with all of the different weapons and strategies that go into each one of them.

They had the Top 16 seeds going at each other with the same format that Major League Gaming used back in Halo 3. (1st Seed vs 16th Seed)

Made me feel like I was watching Major League Gaming again.  They had pretty much the same bleaches that mlg used back in the day as well.  

Probably going to watch it again.

i will not bother watching it live.

There is a lot of boring filler stuff. The filler stuff is not deep robotics or strategist. The actual bot fights make up like 15 min of the full hour.

If you wanna see the action there was a vid posted on Reddit with all the bot fights were cut together. Thats probably best way to watch it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well done to Faruq, I hope the show does well for him. I can't support it myself since I don't live in the US, and my "robot combat" needs were essentially satiated many years ago by Craig Charles and the BBC's original Robot Wars. However, Faruq's always enjoyed hosting and announcing so I hope he does well. I fear that the show won't be a grand success, just because there is SO much competition, particularly on American TV, for audiences' attentions. Even if Battlebots doesn't quite work out though, I know Faruq'll land on his feet. 

Lock it up!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Faruq did some voice work for BioShock Infinite, but not very major, probably just did some NPC voice work for the Vox populi 

There is a lot of boring filler stuff. The filler stuff is not deep robotics or strategist. The actual bot fights make up like 15 min of the full hour.

If you wanna see the action there was a vid posted on Reddit with all the bot fights were cut together. Thats probably best way to watch it.

This. 

I used to watch it all the time on Comedy Central back in the early 2000s.

It's actually less than 9 minutes which is sad...but yeah, it's awful. I was so hyped when it was announced but the filler and over edited fights kill any amount of excitement I had. The third episode had a minute and a half of fighting in the first twenty minutes At least American Ninja Warrior had a decent season or two before it was destroyed by reality TV.

Tombstone top 1!

For anyone wondering here are the first three episodes: onetwo and three.

All I remember was Son Of Wayachi or w/e and that bot was OP. Thing didn't even move, it just sat there and spun up this propeller looking thing to unbelievable speeds and let the other bot just walk into it before getting decimated lol.

All I remember was Son Of Wayachi or w/e and that bot was OP. Thing didn't even move, it just sat there and spun up this propeller looking thing to unbelievable speeds and let the other bot just walk into it before getting decimated lol.

This was sick!!!!!!!!

Is this the American version of Robot Wars?

BattleBots is an offshoot of the original American version of Robot Wars, the brainchild of Marc Thorpe. Robot Wars had financial backing from Sme communications, a New York record company. The Thorpe/Sme partnership broke up in 1997, starting many years of legal wrangling between Thorpe and Profile Records (the former Sme communications). Profile licensed Robot Wars to a UK production company and Robot Wars ran for seven years as a popular television program in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots

I also remember watching the old BattleBots back in the early 2000's. Pretty funny looking back at it now.

It has probably been at least a decade since I've heard anything about BattleBots before last night.  I don't know why, but I like it.  Wish people would take it to the next level with rockets/bullets though.

Wish people would take it to the next level with rockets/bullets though.

Well its not rockets, nor bullets but I think this will classify as next level

Well its not rockets, nor bullets but I think this will classify as next level

Pretty sick..............but I want rockets and bullets

• Downvote (-1) 2

Funny thing is I watched the new BattleBots two days ago and I saw him on there an I was just thinking I've seen this guy somewhere.

Turns out he was the MLG guy haha.

I like how the Faruq thread became the battle bots thread.

Did anyone play Robot Arena? I remember liking it as 14 year old. Could never get multiplayer to work though.