Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

I played H5 Warzone & Got hands on w/ the Xbox Elite Controller.

Some things I took notice is that there are no multikill medals. Correct me If I am wrong, but I didnt see those. I still dont like the new BR sound. It sounds like the DMR...nothing distinctive like Halo 2 or 3s, but I really like that 343 made the zooming animations more fluid and faster. thats a great change. The pistol zoom is changed a bit from the Beta...nothing bad there. Warzone looks like a ton of fun, but the maps cannot get boring after a handful of paythroughs. In some other gameplay of Warzone I watched, they totally changed the Sniper scope. Its much better, but I dont like how they blacked out the outside area of the scope. Thats a stupid design choice. Still, its a drastic improvement over the Betas Sniper scope.

Did you get a chance to use the Sniper at all, Saucey? Did you like how it felt and looked better than the one seen in the Beta?

I like most of the changes, would still like to see sprint gone from Arena. 

It will be successful because the devs are taking it really seriously. Josh Holmes in particular really wants this to be a huge competitive title, had the chance to speak with him and others last night. 

Thats all it takes really, developers who want the same things that we do.

With all due respect - they have not shown this to be true.  But there is time to prove me wrong I guess....

Thanks for sharing the gameplay and answering questions bro (How about that Titanfall fly in ehh?)

If you press the bumpers like you do on the 360 controller, you're doing it wrong. The X1 bumpers are better than the 360 when used correctly. Unlike the 360, your fingers are not supposed to leave the trigger. Just slide your finger slightly toward the center of the controller (with your fingers still on the trigger) and the bumpers will click.

With respect, there is no "right way" to do it. Not everybody has the same size hands or holds the controller the same way.  

It should require fairly even pressure along the whole bumper, which luckily they have fixed on both new versions of the controller.

I have large hands and I put my middle finger on the trigger and index on the bumper.  its uncomfortable and throws off my aim to hold it any other way.  If i were to try to use the bumper like you suggest, i would almost be pressing the top of my palm onto it, which would move my thumb considerably at the same time and just be uncomfortable overall.

Honestly, the best change they could make with the controller would be to make it 15% bigger all around!

Speaking of making it bigger, has anybody used one of those 3rd-party controller covers?  I have been thinking about getting some to artificially increase the controller size. There are some that have good reviews on amazon but don't trust the opinion of most of the people there.

As someone from the competitive BTB scene...

The Warzone reveal did not excite me and at best felt like a massive pandering attempt (come on... the Legendary Boss banshee is named "Baron Sharone" -- nearly an anagram for Baron Nashor, a boss in League of Legends that itself was named for Roshan, a boss in Defense of the Ancients.  Blatant, unabashed pandering to MOBA players.)

I want competitive base gameplay settings that apply to both a 4v4 and an 8v8 sandbox.  I don't want "Halo: MOBA" with Burn Cards.

Well, we're getting standard 8v8 (at least. not sure if 12v12) "arena" BTB with its own symmetrical maps as well, at some point.

I don't mind Warzone at all, because it looks like a fun distraction and more importantly, it sounds like the best way to introduce microtransactions that replace having to pay for map packs. And Arena stays pure from the gameplay changing stuff.

How do you break two Xbox One controllers that easily? I have two and they work great (although I tossed one too hard against my couch and heard a small part start to bounce around inside lol).

Honestly have no idea, I don't even really play that much and they just suck.

Still on my first Xbox One controller and zero problems. The bumpers took some adapting but once you get use to them you're golden. So 2 Xbox elite controllers at nearly the price of an Xbox One...... No thanks haha.

This controller will blow the Scuf out of the water.  The base Scuf doesn't have anywhere near the features, and when it comes down to it, would you rather spend $120 on a refurbished X1 controller that some dude in a warehouse hastily modified, or $150 for a brand new, official Microsoft product that features real engineering and superior build quality and warranty/service that blows Scuf out of the water? There is no comparison here.  This thing has steel paddles and supposed steel design and special resins that claim "zero wear" joysticks.  The Scuf? Flimsy plastic paddles on top of a refurbished controller that they got for cheap.  You're comparing a professional-grade product to a "DIY" alternative.

Don't forget that the Scuf has shipping costs as well whereas I'd assume you will presumably be able to pick this up at Best Buy or whatever, so there isn't really even any price difference.  A fully customized Scuf that comes close to matching all of the features the MS Elite comes with is like ~$200 without shipping.

Well I mean, the new scuf controller that is coming out is set to be as fully customizable as the Microsoft one will be (give or take a few features). Of course at this point there are still many questions that need to be answered, but from what I've seen they're pretty much similar by idea but different in design.

As for scuf controllers being refurbished, from what I understand they buy brand new genuine microsoft controllers and build them to what they want them to be.

As you stated, the scuf controller does have a shipping cost, but at the same time, that shipping cost is about the same cost as it would be for taxes (basing this off my local CA tax), meaning the scuf would still play out to be cheaper as they do not charge tax and only the shipping itself.

I've seen Nadeshot's review on the controller (as he was able to get hands-on experience with it), and according to his opinion, the paddles on the elite controller, although amazing in the build, are very sensitive to touch and can easily be accidentally pressed by just gripping the controller itself vs the scuf's more sturdy feel. But on the flipside, the paddles on the elite controller are put at a much more comfortable position vs the scuf's.

But I mean, at the end of the day, it all comes to down to a person's preference. To each their own!

Btw don't think I was trying to invalidate your points, just wanted to build a counterargument to your opinion  :)

Did you get a chance to use the Sniper at all, Saucey? Did you like how it felt and looked better than the one seen in the Beta?

I didnt, the game ended before I had the chance to buy it.

I saw the guy next to me using it, looks like that "Aim down sight" animation was gone when he zoomed in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Warzone reveal did not excite me and at best felt like a massive pandering attempt (come on... the Legendary Boss banshee is named "Baron Sharone" -- nearly an anagram for Baron Nashor, a boss in League of Legends that itself was named for Roshan, a boss in Defense of the Ancients.  Blatant, unabashed pandering to MOBA players.)

I love this

As someone from the competitive BTB scene...

I want competitive base gameplay settings that apply to both a 4v4 and an 8v8 sandbox.  I don't want "Halo: MOBA" with Burn Cards.

My reaction as well. It's hard to get excited about this since it looks like the same thing that 343 has been suffering since the beginning; attempting to mash up popular mechanics from other games in Halo to increase popularity rather than be unique. I feel like Halo is being developed by analysts rather than developers. The multiplayer in this series has become uninspiring.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

FWIW, I believe the legendary boss's name is actually "Baron 'Sraom".

"Baron" could still be a LoL nod, but I don't really mind it if it helps people realize the importance of a 200-point boss spawn, lol

EDIT:
Actually, just saw elsewhere that "The Warzone boss named Baron is actually named after a guy at 343 that runs the feedback program."

I haven't had any problems with my controller either. I'm def getting the Elite though, sure its $150 but that is cheaper than most headsets and we seem to have no problem dishing out $250 to $300 on those. I don't know about you but I find the controller to be far more important than a headset. Anyways, the fact that this elite controller is a thing and is being made by Microsoft is huge, and speaks to the potential push towards eSports that they are making. We heard a lot of the term "eSports" being used at E3 all around which is great.

My reaction as well. It's hard to get excited about this since it looks like the same thing that 343 has been suffering since the beginning; attempting to mash up popular mechanics from other games in Halo to increase popularity rather than be unique. I feel like Halo is being developed by analysts rather than developers. The multiplayer in this series has become uninspiring.

I think it looks fantastic. A game changer. So what if a couple of names are almost from different games.

we seem to have no problem dishing out $250 to $300 on those.

Really?  Those $300 headphones aren't worth the price. You can get so much better with less (decent sennheiser's + modmic).

$150 for a freaking mass produced piece of plastic is just too greedy.

Why was your BR so bad in the video? They lower the aim assist even more?

I feel like he's just been away from the sticks for way too long haha

Standing in a booth at a gaming convention trying to play usually doesn't work out as well as you'd like.

lol.

We were playing on big laggy TVs, it was hard to aim every gun with a 100ms response time :(

How do you break two Xbox One controllers that easily? I have two and they work great (although I tossed one too hard against my couch and heard a small part start to bounce around inside lol).

I've barely used mine and my LB is already faulty lol, what can you expect from a MS product?

I have had 3 controllers break (broken sticks). Are the stick made better?

I have had 3 controllers break (broken sticks). Are the stick made better?

Looks like the main part is metal/steel, and the tips can be replaced, so my guess is very much so.

I will say I love the d-pad on the default XB1 controller, I hope it's as good or better on the Elite controller.