CyReN

Halo 4 Global Championship Discussion

and expensive, 343 isnt doing this to please the hardcore and have the most structurally sound tourney

they are doing it to bring people back and get as many people to participate as possible, having it online does this

the system has flaws but online is the only way to pull this off and get the most people playing

We live in a technologically advanced world and your telling me a few 100 emails and/or phone calls to have lan centers set up any date they wanted in the next 4-5 weeks for a qualifier would be "expensive". Sorry but im not buying it. It would bring so many people back to the game to practice online and go out to the qualifier knowing they had a fair shot as everyone else. Plus lets be honest. Do these online randoms who hardly play at all have a chance of really winning this the way its set up? at least with local lans it would be the top 4 advance structured event and the best would come out on top at the end. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

You don't need to be such a dick dude. You know how many pro's didn't even realize they had 3 quits and that if they lost one game they were basically out of the running. Formal/Heinz both played 60+ games and only lost about 2 games... This is because they didn't understand they way it was going to work. It obviously is dumb to not register but some people just don't think.

Ok, so I'm calling them out for not thinking. Not thinking is equivalent to being an idiot; sorry this offends you. Never enter a contest without reading the rules first - I spent a good 15 minutes reading through everything making sure I understood, and I'm ahead of them for that reason alone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We live in a technologically advanced world and your telling me a few 100 emails and/or phone calls to have lan centers set up any date they wanted in the next 4-5 weeks for a qualifier would be "expensive". Sorry but im not buying it. It would bring so many people back to the game to practice online and go out to the qualifier knowing they had a fair shot as everyone else. Plus lets be honest. Do these online randoms who hardly play at all have a chance of really winning this the way its set up? at least with local lans it would be the top 4 advance structured event and the best would come out on top at the end. 

Yes dude this is literally the stupidest idea I've ever heard. I think you're forgetting how unpopular Halo is these days (edit: undeservably.. Halo's fucking great). No one is going to show up for those LANs (read: a few local "pros"). I have work all day and wouldn't be able to make it in during hours of operation, same goes for probably half the people competing. This would never work and it's a terrible idea. Do you seriously think your 5 minute thought process compares to someone who's getting paid $70,000 - $100,000 a year to do what you did? They probably spent weeks figuring out the best way to put this tournament on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yup lan is dumb and no one would show up? are you ********? it would be a posted event on the weekend obviously. And if you couldn't get off work for it well to damn bad your loss. duno how you would have all the time to rack these games up in ffa if you couldn't play a half an afternoon local tourney. and i know plunty of ams/pros that would show up even in my area. One thing i know is if money is on the line people will show up. Seen 400+ people show up for fractions of what is on the line right now. If you think the game is dead that's your opinion. also how do you plan to go to this event if you won since you work all day and can't get any time to compete at a lan. think before you speak idiot.

Ps: also im sure they would focus a lot more on the states than over seas anyways. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

Yup lan is dumb and no one would show up? are you ********? it would be a posted event on the weekend obviously. And if you couldn't get off work for it well to damn bad your loss. duno how you would have all the time to rack these games up in ffa if you couldn't play a half an afternoon local tourney. and i know plunty of ams/pros that would show up even in my area. One thing i know is if money is on the line people will show up. Seen 400+ people show up for fractions of what is on the line right now. If you think the game is dead that's your opinion. also how do you plan to go to this event if you won since you work all day and can't get any time to compete at a lan. think before you speak idiot.

Ps: also im sure they would focus a lot more on the states than over seas anyways. 

Online qualifiers are much more accessible for the game's population. AGL are struggling to get 50 teams for this event as it is.

Thousands of people have competed in this tournament already, thanks to it being online, the same could not be said if they were all LAN qualifiers (numbers wise).

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're approaching this wrong. The paradigm for 343 is not, "how do we give people an equal chance and the most fair environment?" All they care about is "how can we get the most people to play this game, and get the most publicity out of it?" So what if the online randoms have no chance of winning? If they play at all in the tournament, 343 is happy. They care more about the people who play Infinity Slayer and BTB than they do about the competitive community, I'll tell you that right now. That's how they approached setting up the tournament. That's why it's online: convenience and accessibility. Sure, setting up a LAN tournament probably wouldn't be that expensive, relatively speaking, but why should they take on that extra cost? It wouldn't benefit them, it would only benefit the competitive community (maybe) and definitely hurt their main consumer base. Therefore, it would be an unnecessary risk to take, and fiscally irresponsible. Simple business values and logic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At least we know he's not unbeatable. :D

Was easyyy :-) He has 1 quit left btw! 

After I used my 3 quits I got randomly disconnected from Xbox Live 1 game and then ran into a cheater the next...

so multiple accounts are fine? if so i may just make a new one and try again for week 1

yea I would like to see the rules about making 1-months. 

same here. If there is none...it's open season

Basically what you're suggesting from a business point of view is this:

1. Organize literally hundreds of organizations with different venue sizes, accessibility, terms of use, hours of operation, amenities, human capacity, internet speeds, etc. That's the "easy" part.

2. Promote each of those events well enough for everyone to know about them ahead of schedule.

3. Actually get people to the events. The conversion rate would be astronomically low for this, by the way. "Hey Halo fan, there's a tournament in 2 days - get ready to drop everything and bus across town! Go to so-and-so website to find out where you can compete in your area."

4. Let's be generous and say that 64 people show up to the venue at each city. Depending on capacity this could be a real nightmare/fire hazard/illegal for some venues. Assuming the venue can handle the capacity, they now have to have 1 referee per game, that's 8 refs per day that have to be paid.

5. Now 343i has to keep track of all these stats. Somehow these games have to be recorded and verified and they won't leave it up to the local venues because that's too risky; so besides all the venues having to have a good internet connection, they have to worry about not getting DDoSed as well.

Oh good, that all worked out perfectly! So what does it cost 343i?

Let's say they have 300 LAN centres around the world who are participating, each with 8 employees.

300 * 8 = 2400 referees globally.

Each referee has to be paid a decent wage.

2400 * $10/hr = $24,000

Each event would probably take 2 days and a conservative estimate of 4 hours per day.

$24,000 * 8 hours = $192,000

Cool, the refs are paid off. What about the actual venues? Surely they won't do it for free!

300 venues with respectable owners who will do it for no less than $2000, a bargain.

300 * $2000 = $600,000

Oh, and you didn't actually think the venues would have their own games did you? Can't rely on people to bring them either.

300 * 64 * $10 = $192,000 (whether it be the cost of shipping 64 free games, or free shipping on a 64 $10 games)

Smallest advertising campaign ever: $26,000

Total cost, before prize expenses: $1,000,000

Don't forget about the prizes though:

$500,000! Wow, awesome.

Final cost: $1,500,000

Return on investment? Very hard to calculate, but seeing as the population hasn't changed much since the tournament started, I wouldn't assume they're making any money.

You are something else man...your the definition of that guy that goes on the forums and immediately acts like a know it all with his "facts" and what not and whenever someone disagrees you call them a dumbass (by the way you used the word "stupidest" in a sentence...).

Just so you know I'm on vacation on my phone just scrolling through the forum posts while I'm relaxing and your post annoyed me so much that I am actually typing this all out with my iPhone.

1. You realize that 256 players make it to the final event... so in your case top 4 advance of your 300 Lan events (where the hell do you come up with 300) bringing us a grand total of 1,200 finalists! Oh wait...

No you would have 64 Lans x 4 finalists = 256 (ya did the math in my head yay me.

2. You don't need to hire refs! Like wtf, you call up 64 of the most trusted LAN centers (most in the US, possibly some in EU) and they provide the workers just explain the damn rules. Plus even if you did get refs it wouldn't be even half as costly as you thought considering it would be a 1 day FFA (why the fuck would it take 2 days) and we have 64 Lans not 300 haha.

3. I'm just gonna go with your estimate of 2,000$ a day for an FFA Lan (which I doubt is correct) and there are only 64 Lans = 128,000$.

4. You don't buy 64 Halo discs for a 64 person FFA...like come on. You setup up 2 stations with 8 screens which = 16 discs. If the 2,000$ they are paying them doesn't include 150 ish $ on Halo 4 discs thats bs.

5. Since when does 343 have "marketing" campaigns for their tournaments? They are literally posted on HaloWaypoint and the startup screen for Halo 4 and then people spread the word for free. It's funny how you pull 20,000$ for marketing directly out of your asshole.

In conclusion: You don't come into a forum that has been going strong for over a month with respectful clean arguments and start talking down to people. You don't know jack shit clearly and nothing up running LANs because everything you said is just made up in your mind.

Pce out.

Ps - I even agree that XBL was the way to go with this tourney and then a LAN event. They pleased both the casual and competitive community.

Pss - My fingers hurt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just made "Wettimage" use his "last(?)" quit. Was destroying him on Adrift hehe! Anyone know if it was his last quit, hearing different things here

Is it Animage or Wettiger playing?

Is it Animage or Wettiger playing?

Wettimage is a mixture of both names...so maybe both?

what happened on ninja's stream tonight that everybody keeps referring to on twitch?

what happened on ninja's stream tonight that everybody keeps referring to on twitch?

He made an alternate account and went 72-0 in the Global Championship playlist and then did some crazy celebratory shit.

He made an alternate account and went 72-0 in the Global Championship playlist and then did some crazy celebratory shit.

I didn't find the "black voice" shit he did to be funny...at all

• Downvote (-1) 2

I didn't find the "black voice" shit he did to be funny...at all

Didn't watch it, just did some quick Twitter research to answer the question.

The leaderboards are pretty crazy now, we know GrayishSelf3 is Ninja, we know who Wettimage is, but who are the other powerhouses? I feel like at least one of them is probably another pro on an alt. account. I heard somewhere that one of them is Formal.