Sign in to follow this  
Eclipso

Can anybody give me aiming tips?

I really disagree with this.Your left stick shot behave by itself to try to avoid the opponent, and you right stick should be used for aiming, only. It goes to say that if you only try to line up your shot with your left stick it will severly hinder your ability to stay alive. It's a simple trick for beginners to aim a little better, and I doubt he does it. Possibly when you are no-scoping, it could be a good idea.

If you want a good shot and play good. First of all it's muscle memory, second of all, stop thinking about doing good and thinking about aiming at them - this will only hinder you. I know this from personal experience, but there is a study about it as well, that says you will do worse when you think about what you are doing. Just do what you do and trust yourself. When you start getting a nerve and doubt your own skills you are done for. A good example here is chess. According to some other chess legend (I don't remember who said it), Magnus Carslsen and Viswanathan Anand are very equal in skill level, and they play the same when it comes to regular small tournaments, but when the pressure is on and they play in the world championship Anand starts doubting himself(he can't take the pressure) and he is thus getting wrecked.

What do you mean by "muscle memory"? Explain more about how aiming is this?

Muscle memories are basically movements you don't consciously control.  They're so ingrained into your routine that they just happen.

Playing instruments is muscle memory.

Sports are a lot about muscle memory.

The reason you practice certain things in life is to make it to the point that you do them subconsciously.  Even writing, by the time you're 8, is down to muscle memory.  You begin to write letters extremely quickly rather than the slow, careful drawn out bit, because you've done it so many times your body just does it, while your brain focuses on something else.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think what he means is your hands move the sticks reacting to how your opponent moves based on your muscle memory. You don't think about it. Better shooters are able to react more quickly and precisely to the opponents movement and they likely have more practice and experience with the stick and thus have better control because the hand knows exactly how far to nudge.

Anticipation is everything, that's my own personal fps philosophy

Pre aiming in any halo game with descope is critical, in a long range br fight, engage, take cover, and this part is critical, wait a random amount of time (not just instantly) before popping out from behind your cover and try to "pre-aim" or anticipate where your opponent will be

Move your crosshair to where you think the enemy will be before coming out behind your cover and engaging

I feel like a visual would be easier to understand, maybe I could whip up a quick vid 2morrow

I win so many br fights because before I come out of my covered position, I pre aimed and was able to instantly fire on someone instead of popping out and then having to aim, that 0.1 second matters

Also when you are winning a br fight (you have first shot on someone) take advantage

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anticipation is everything, that's my own personal fps philosophy

Pre aiming in any halo game with descope is critical, in a long range br fight, engage, take cover, and this part is critical, wait a random amount of time (not just instantly) before popping out from behind your cover and try to "pre-aim" or anticipate where your opponent will be

Move your crosshair to where you think the enemy will be before coming out behind your cover and engaging

I feel like a visual would be easier to understand, maybe I could whip up a quick vid 2morrow

I win so many br fights because before I come out of my covered position, I pre aimed and was able to instantly fire on someone instead of popping out and then having to aim, that 0.1 second matters

Also when you are winning a br fight (you have first shot on someone) take advantage

How do you take advantage without getting god-naded? Any tips on avoiding nades?

Anticipate nade spots

This comes from time and study

There are spots where no one can nade you and you can recharge your shields, the thing to understand is you opponents POV and what you would do if you were in his shoes, this is another instance that I feel like a visual would help, I'll take a screenshot

Also unorthodox movement is key, always be strafing, the worst thing you can do is run in a straight line, run pause run pause, if you're fighting with a guy from base to base on midship and you decide to run towards p3 & he sees you heading towards p3 he will nade there, the worst thing you can do is just straight line to p3 cause he will anticipate you doing so

I feel like trying to be unpredictable is beneficial in a game like halo where you can engage the same player 10-15 times in any given game

You will get naded regardless cause you are trapped like a rat, it happens to me 3-4 times a game easily, that's acceptable in a constant fighting fps game like halo, sometimes you get cornered

If you want a relatively cheap awesome monitor I recommend http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ITORJRQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432797008&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=benq+rl2460ht&dpPl=1&dpID=511uSstSqML&ref=plSrchI personally use this monitor and it's really amazing. Also the hdmi output is awesome for streaming as it won't add any input lag by avoiding the standard xbox thru cap card to monitor. Also I agree with people that the movement stick should definitely play a part in aiming, just not in a conscious way. If you find your snipe shots off by an inch or less that movement stick can be more forgiving and less prone to spastic movement than the aiming stick. Also if you play with vibration I would suggest trying with it off, it might feel weird at first but it helps when getting shot and also not getting into a bad rhythm when shooting.

Also sometimes waiting that 1-2 seconds to start shooting could be the difference between the enemy getting back to cover or not. Hope this helps. =)

To be honest you ruled out the only valid answer in the first post.

Whether or not you want this to be true, the only thing you can do is practice. All we can provide is a mere template of our own skill attained through practice, to put it into action will take practice. Practice is important, you should practice your practice, as well as practicing your practicing and practice in general.

I was playing BR/snipes FFA earlier (H3), and I realized that when I have sniper I almost always when I'm aiming have the sniper on my opponents head, and line up the shot, but I can never pull the trigger on time, my reaction time sucks. Anything to do about this? :/

Aiming is about repetition and practice for the most part, in order to have a good shot you must also be good and moving around the map easily. In order to aim efficiently well you need to play a lot, in order to shoot amazingly you need experience. You actually need experience in order to use weapons like to sniper and how to use it in certain situations (no-scoping, or hard-scoping), to fast track that learning just use the sniper aggressively/defensively here and there until you learn how to do both. With the BR it's all about where players are, if you know where people are in H2A (predicting spawns) it is easier to predict your shots. If you just struggle at shooting in general then play harder games to aim, once you have learnt them go back to whatever you played. Aiming is also in two parts a combination or reaction time and patience, spot a player and quickly move to the target then slowly let the aim assist make its difference while you slightly adjust your aimer. After you have that down keep trying to do it faster and faster again until you're a better shot.

When I'm feeling confident I feel like I'm invincible.

When I'm my usually unconfident self I get that classic wind mill haha.

Id advise playing with good people as that gets your confidence up and you can learn from them, I'm a much better player now compared to when I used to only run solo.

I can only echo what has been said,

1. Practice Aiming+Strafe movement
  2. Movement stick can help you aim when sniping
  3. Low sens
  4. Warm hands
  5. Confidence/Calm head
  6. No vibe (although I play it)

What part if the right thumb you guys position in the stick? The tip or like 1/2 inch from the tip?

What part if the right thumb you guys position in the stick? The tip or like 1/2 inch from the tip?

Hold the controller however it feels comfortable to you!

Enable doesn't exactly have a right thumb but he still manages to shoot very well

On my right thumb it's usually a cm away from the tip, and on my left it's usually a 2 maybe. I don't think the controller fits my hand very well though, and I am fighting it every day to make it not feel weird, but after that small fight, my shot becomes extremely good.

I told you. I doubt he does what he says. Like you said it: He doesn't use his left stick to avoid enemies, but to get a better shot at them. Watching a few of his plays: He is not using his left stick to line up shots to his enemies with the br. He is doing like everyone else.

I must admit that the left stick has many uses, and you sometime line up your shots with it, particularly with the sniper, but for the most part, you are using your left stick to avoid bullet or grenades, and circle around the map and use it to your advantage, . You can say that your left stick helps the right stick get the job done, whether it is lining up shots or avoiding something.

You know those camera mounts people can get that give you a super smooth shot? They're very complex. If you have it, it's easy for you to use to get a smooth shot. You can be moving forward and turning slightly as you look up and down and it looks great. That's a lot like what you're describing. The problem with this is that if you don't have the equipment (let's say it's naturally steady thumbs for us), you're gonna have a bad time. This guy has over six years of experience playing Halo and still struggles with it. Roy's method is simple, and effective. It's probably best for this guy. 

Roy also is not lying about what he says he does when he plays. He has no reason to. Because I, and other people do the same thing he does, and it works. It's not like he's going to tell the Halo community some BS tactic that will lower the overall shot of the general community so he can thrive. That didn't happen, and won't. People use the same method and see success from it. 

Muscle memory is a huge part of it. It's getting your fingers used to the movements you make when playing. 

Warming up with an octagon is kinda like firing up the engines. Your hands feel very stiff when you get on, then they start to get used to it with time and movement (Ogre twitch for days bro). There's different levels of muscle memory, like if you haven't played any shooters in months and you get on Halo, you're probably gonna be a lot worse than if you have been playing every day for weeks, and have had an hour or two break in between when you're getting on and the last time you played. 

Repetition.

I agree with turning off vibration, I did that and I felt a big improvement.

I still don't think matching a strafe is ideal, but it probably is the simplest way to get a better shot. If you have shot advantage then you should win by doing that. I think if you're down shots you have to be more unpredictable in your strafe defensively to force a miss especially in halo 1.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with turning off vibration, I did that and I felt a big improvement.

I still don't think matching a strafe is ideal, but it probably is the simplest way to get a better shot. If you have shot advantage then you should win by doing that. I think if you're down shots you have to be more unpredictable in your strafe defensively to force a miss especially in halo 1.

I've also noticed that another problem I have when I aim is that I whip my shot way to far to the left or right. even when it's right on the enemies head, and it causes me to miss a lot, idk how to break the habit, I do it even when I played on 2 sense

I've also noticed that another problem I have when I aim is that I whip my shot way to far to the left or right. even when it's right on the enemies head, and it causes me to miss a lot, idk how to break the habit, I do it even when I played on 2 sense

I don't think it matters the sensitivity you play on in the long run... But you may have troubles playing on sensitivity 10 after a year or so on 1. When I was a mere kid, I was playing on 10, now a humble adult I play sensitivity 4.