Sign in to follow this  
s13ep

Set Tactics!

I've had this discussion many times with different prose, but now I take a middle-ground. Is it possible to incorporate "set tactics" into Halo gameplay?

Here are two examples:

Pulp Fiction:

In a four versus four match of Halo, three players take a more defensive stance, whilst one is aggressive, trying to pull attention and being evasive - getting shots off here and there and essentially marking targets for the other three. The theory behind this tactic is that the aggressive player is making a sacrifice, possibly giving a kill away, but also highlighting the enemy and grabbing their attention making them easier targets. Once again, that's not only 'rush in', but be cautious and perform evasive maneuvers.

Defensive Carbine:

On sanctuary, there is our carbine and their carbine; our carbine is more defensive. The two common spawn points are their snipe and their rocks. Immediately you attempt to take ring, and then position each other like this; one ring three, one on your carbine, and two pushing their carbine and no further than that. If you end up being successful taking ring, then the next objective is to kill them at their snipe, and have the player at your carbine jump over to their P-street, in order to block snipe spawn, leaving easy kills in rocks.

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, and I'm aware of the argument that gameplay is more dynamic, but purely for discussion purposes, would set tactics work in professional Halo gameplay? And does anyone have any tactics of their own they would like to share?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think this all comes down to the playstyle of the players.

Halo usually forces you to control the others teams spawns. Whether its forcing them to spawn all together or forcing them to be split. 

You have already brought up the main counter arguments to "set tactics" and it will always come back to those. 

In any video game it is hard for any "set tactic" to work for an extended period of time because as soon as their is one strat there is another to counter it almost as quick. 

all in all Im not sure how much there is to say about "set tactics" other then the best one is to just not miss your shots ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Theseset tactics are very common in halo3. Onslaught was pretty much unvariable. Oddball on any game is like this to, especially heretic oddball.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even in the dynamic gametypes top teams already incorporate a lot of strategies but instead of having it formulaic (thus readable and less flexible) they set rules and shorthand to get the best out of a large variety of scenarios. Your top tactic on Sanc for instance already happens but it's dictated by the tendencies of the players (aggressive players making openings) and subsequent communication - their teammates know to bait that player and how far / where to push to get what they're trying to achieve out of the situation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even in the dynamic gametypes top teams already incorporate a lot of strategies but instead of having it formulaic (thus readable and less flexible) they set rules and shorthand to get the best out of a large variety of scenarios. Your top tactic on Sanc for instance already happens but it's dictated by the tendencies of the players (aggressive players making openings) and subsequent communication - their teammates know to bait that player and how far / where to push to get what they're trying to achieve out of the situation.

Indeed. Wise words.

I do try to 'lead' my team when I play; we all communicate but I take the role of the dictator. I will shout "I am at ring 3, is someone our carbine?", and then "PUSH TO P-STREET" for example. Maybe incorporating formulaic tactics would require a sort of leader figure.

Indeed. Wise words.

I do try to 'lead' my team when I play; we all communicate but I take the role of the dictator. I will shout "I am at ring 3, is someone our carbine?", and then "PUSH TO P-STREET" for example. Maybe incorporating formulaic tactics would require a sort of leader figure.

It's called "shotcaller" in most other competitive titles, and it's something that's generally lacking in Halo (partially because there's not enough time to worry about specific sets of plans when you're in nearly-constant combat.

There are a few players you'll hear direct their teammates where to go, whether it's to cover angles or coordinate a two-man push that isn't stacked, and sometimes you'll hear coaches like Towey or Spike tell their players what isn't covered, or when they're alone, or when they've pushed too far, or when they have help from another player, but for the most part, communication like this is sparse in Halo.

The best thing to compare what you're talking about to is a chef at a restaurant -- the chef tells the players what needs to be done, but not how to do it.  He calls out the order, but the line cooks each work on their own part of the order.  Each line cook knows their role in the kitchen -- and if another line cook falls behind or gets overloaded (compare to getting killed, or being drawn out of position), they receive help from those who are available (this is why versatility / fluidity of play is important).  When everything works well, the line cooks each do their own jobs and the kitchen flows smoothly (players like heinz/lunchbox do objective, apg/roy draw attention, and snipedown/mikwen slay while lethul/chig fill in gaps)...but having the different cooks able to cover for one another or change stations on an instant is also important for success.  Under no circumstance will everything ever flow perfectly in a kitchen, whether it's due to customers preferring one dish and overloading a station (targeting a specific player / a player having a bad game) so sticking to rigid strategy over generalist tactics is not a good idea.

Also, regarding Shrine, it's much stronger to have two players Ring and 1 in each Hut, so you permanently force flipping rocks spawns rather than giving them the safe cover of being in a Snipe hut.  The ring players can drift between streets and Carbines to get sightlines on the players in rocks, while the players in Hut can watch the rock ramp retreat or put shots as the players push toward Car.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Zyos used to be a "shotcaller". This video has some of that although they weren't taking it super serious after the first cap.

The best thing to compare what you're talking about to is a chef at a restaurant

line cooks

kitchen

heinz

lunchbox

one dish

p Hut

Now it all makes sense.  :holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 4