CyReN

Halo: MCC is definitely a black eye for us - Frank O'Connor

Why is 343 always implying that all fans of MCC want to play Halo 5? I don't care if Halo 5 is functional or not. I want to play Halo: CE, Halo 2 Classic, and Halo 3 like what we were promised. How is Halo 5 relevant to the problems of MCC? Of course we know that 343 is aware that made the fuck up of the century and that Halo 5 is a different team. They remind us every day about the Halo 5 team being separate. Like every other update we got, we have learned nothing.

"you’ve got five different game engines, you’ve got five different studios working on it, you’ve got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous."

...So? We're not your parents. We're not looking for excuses. We payed for a game that was advertised as a collection of four Halo games "like we remembered them". Playing that game is what we care about. 343 can say excuses and act like Halo 5 won't have the same fate as Halo 4 all they want, it's not going to change anything about MCC. As a MCC fan, I fail to see how "but Halo 5 will work!" should make me feel better.

I feel you, but I mean what else can they really say? They won't get on camera and just say "hey, we messed everything up, sorry, we suck."  Instead they choose to use phrases like "Black Eye" to describe what is literally one of (if not THE) worst launch of a game I have ever seen in the gaming industry, easily de-throning BattleField 4.

All they can really do at this point is issue PR laced apologies while encouraging the fan base to not worry, because Halo 5 will be here soon to save the day.  The whole situation sucks, and its a little depressing to think how excited we were back at E3 last year for this to release.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I feel you, but I mean what else can they really say? They won't get on camera and just say "hey, we messed everything up, sorry, we suck."  Instead they choose to use phrases like "Black Eye" to describe what is literally one of (if not THE) worst launch of a game I have ever seen in the gaming industry, easily de-throning BattleField 4.

All they can really do at this point is issue PR laced apologies while encouraging the fan base to not worry, because Halo 5 will be here soon to save the day. 

As a fan of both games, I thought BF4 was BY FAR THE WORST, until MCC rolled in. Hardline was butter smooth compared to both, at the least I will expect Halo 5 to be the same.

As a fan of both games, I thought BF4 was BY FAR THE WORST, until MCC rolled in. Hardline was butter smooth compared to both, at the least I will expect Halo 5 to be the same.

Hardline was better, thankfully I am not a huge Battlefield fan or the launch would have bugged me a lot more.

I may have faced tons of issues with Battlefield 4, but I at least was able to find games within 30 minutes usually.

I may have faced tons of issues with Battlefield 4, but I at least was able to find games within 30 minutes usually.

I bought BF4 like 3 months after it came out, never had a single problem except getting kicked out of 2 whole games.

There are still people saying BF4 launch was worse than the MCC and that's pretty stupid.

I think the popularity is more key than net profit (which is where your revenue leads to). I say this because Microsoft lowered the price intentionally cutting their net profit to gain more sold units. It is clear popularity is more important to Microsoft than net profit.

We are still early into the generation

Profits don't come from hardware sales they come from software sales

A successful game is measured by attach rate but if there's few systems out there it doesn't matter if 80% of people who own the console got the game

OG Xbox and Xbox 360s were sold at a loss for a long time, but buy three extra controllers, two games, and an xbl sub and you make it all right back

All they can really do at this point is issue PR laced apologies while encouraging the fan base to not worry, because Halo 5 will be here soon to save the day.  The whole situation sucks, and its a little depressing to think how excited we were back at E3 last year for this to release.

I understand that 343 will never admit to the how large the failure of MCC really is, but a somewhat honest answer on why it shipped the way it did would be nice. The "we did not see this in testing!" is more bullshit than armor lock. 343 seems scared to tackle the issue with the public and that tells me that they don't think MCC will ever be fixed and they're relying on enough time to pass so it can eventually be swept under the rug.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I understand that 343 will never admit to the how large the failure of MCC really is, but a somewhat honest answer on why it shipped the way it did would be nice. The "we did not see this in testing!" is more bullshit than armor lock. 343 seems scared to tackle the issue with the public and that tells me that they don't think MCC will ever be fixed and they're relying on enough time to pass so it can eventually be swept under the rug.

I highly doubt they would / will ever shed light on why it shipped the way it did, if I were them.. I wouldn't want to talk about it either. I think there were obvious problems (that we even saw with our media copy within 20mins of playing it). So either some testers were asleep at the wheel, or they took the "patch it later approach" and knew about the problems. 

Halo 5 will distract everyone and they might be able to sweep it under the rug, atleast at first anyways. I personally hope MCC is back to a fully functional state before Halo 5 releases, so players can truly choose which titles they want to play, and not be forced onto the newest title because the that game released months ago is still broken.

I want to see 343 express GREAT shame regarding the MCC. It would satisfy me. Like, there should be no smiling or laughing in that studio, just shame and sadness.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When frank said MCC gave 343 a black eye, he was lying.

He said that so that we the consumer whom they ripped off would feel sorry for them rather than anger.

Don't let him fool you. They made out well with your cash.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just think if a new smaller studio(that doesn't own the flagship Xbox series) launched a new IP even HALF this broken and awful at launch after ALL that hype how bankrupt they would be in a matter of days. You can say the same thing for a couple of other recent AAA launches but MCC takes the cake for worst AAA video-game launch of the past decade most likely. 343/CA/whatever other studios that made MCC should really be thanking their lucky stars there isn't MORE outrage and a complete boycott by the community of H5 until MCC is fixed TBH. I can see why they kind of tried to sweep it under the rug and move on because there isn't any way they can positively spin the MCC situation no matter how hard they try.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just think if a new smaller studio(that doesn't own the flagship Xbox series) launched a new IP even HALF this broken and awful at launch after ALL that hype how bankrupt they would be in a matter of days. 343/CA/whatever other studios that made MCC should really be thanking their lucky stars there isn't MORE outrage and a complete boycott by the community of H5 until MCC is fixed TBH. I can see why they kind of tried to sweep it under the rug and move on because there isn't any way they can positively spin the MCC no matter how hard they try.

343 is like a kid who got a DUI, but he has a rich father, so he got off with a slap of the wrist.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And then get kicked out while the game is loading. Or maybe you do get in a game, but either the rubberbanding made it unplayable or you got disconnected just when you were starting to get some kills.

343 is like a kid who got a DUI, but he has a rich father, so he got off with a slap of the wrist.

The worst part is, M$ used the MCC as the vocal point in their XB1 Christmas bundles and continued to act like nothing was wrong until later on when the MCC had already sold millions of copies and now one of the higher-ups at 343 (Frankie) is finally coming out of the woodwork's and publicly commentating(NeoGAF doesn't count) on the disaster now because he knows doing so now long after the fact wont effect the sales of the game. He is essentially now saying "Dont worry about how broke MCC was/is that was due to #Legacytech, but we proved with the H5 beta it wont happen again so you should trust us and buy Halo 5!" It just doesn't sound sincere coming from 343/MS now, they swept it under the rug and collected their money and now they are trying to push H5 on us while MCC is still broken. Unbelievable.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The worst part is, M$ used the MCC as the vocal point in their XB1 Christmas bundles and continued to act like nothing was wrong until later on when the MCC had already sold millions of copies and now one of the higher-ups at 343 (Frankie) is finally coming out of the woodwork's and publicly commentating(NeoGAF doesn't count) on the disaster now because he knows doing so now long after the fact wont effect the sales of the game. He is essentially now saying "Dont worry about how broke MCC was/is that was due to #Legacytech, but we proved with the H5 beta it wont happen again so you should trust us and buy Halo 5!" It just doesn't sound sincere coming from 343/MS now, they swept it under the rug and collected their money and now they are trying to push H5 on us while MCC is still broken. Unbelievable.

no, the worst part is that mcc accomplished its job. Loads of vets got the xbone for the mcc collection, and now we might even buy halo5 because we already have the console.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The point is that the Xbox One has no significantly popular and/or interesting exclusives, and that shows on its sales. You told me not to assume people don't like most games, and it wasn't an assumption, it was based of stats, which is why I brought up them up in the first place. I don't give a shit if someone wants to spend a million dollars on 2000 Xboxes.

What confuses me the most is here is how you were telling me not to assume that people don't like most of the (exclusive) games on Xbox One, just to end up telling me you don't think your Xbox One is worth it.

How is a ps4 purchase justified right now?

no, the worst part is that mcc accomplished its job. Loads of vets got the xbone for the mcc collection, and now we might even buy halo5 because we already have the console.

I can understand if some teenager preorders Halo 5 with their parents money or whatever.

But why any rational consumer, after H4 and MCC would overtly hand over to 343 more of their hard earned money - baffles me at this point.

at least wait till post release and see if the game even works.  DONT LET THE HYPE FOOL YOU AGAIN PEOPLE!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unless Halo 5 gets 9s to 10s from every review outlet and every Halo forum raves about it, I'm NOT buying it. This goes for ANY Microsoft-published Xbox One game.

Quality in the launch window or bust.

(I've got a reeeeal good feeling that my Xbone is going to remain a Blu-ray player until TES VI...)

• Upvote (+1) 1

PT is quite honestly better than any xbone or wii u game. It's a crying shame Konami is cancelling silent hills and removed PT from the ps store... I'm glad I got a ps4 last year cause that surprise release of PT was so worth it.

I think overall, it has superior specs, UI, and features than the Xb1 does... I don't own a PS4 nor am I interested in one, but if I had to pick between having the same games on either console, it'd be an easy choice. Halo and Xbox Live (both because of the service and the history I have with it) were the factors that tipped the balance in favor of the Xb1 in my case, but it's heavy bias, and I wouldn't consider that a valid reason in the current states of things.

And exclusives like Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Driveclub, some Destiny content and a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of all seem to be rather appealing to people, so there's that too.

But truth be told, @@theslatcher made a good point a few posts back and made me realize it's up to people to pick whatever their preferences are. I've done the same, so I'm in no position of calling one "justified" over the other. Just gotta weigh the pros and the cons in your own personal situation.

The final verdict I have on the matter, is that consoles have lost a lot of their appeal over the years. You're better off investing in a decent PC since the actual good and true PS4/Xb1 exclusives are rare and most of the games end up being released on PC anyway. Nintendo consoles seem to be exempt from that rule, but if you like more "serious" games... that's how it is.

Unless Halo 5 gets 9s to 10s from every review outlet and every Halo forum raves about it, I'm NOT buying it. This goes for ANY Microsoft-published Xbox One game.

Quality in the launch window or bust.

(I've got a reeeeal good feeling that my Xbone is going to remain a Blu-ray player until TES VI...)

I wouldnt make that one of your deciding factors.

http://www.ibtimes.com/halo-4-review-round-critics-hail-return-master-chief-games-release-date-arrives-election-day-861210

Yeah..... ^^^ that happened

• Upvote (+1) 1

I bought BF4 like 3 months after it came out, never had a single problem except getting kicked out of 2 whole games.

There are still people saying BF4 launch was worse than the MCC and that's pretty stupid.

Just to chime in here, BF4 was literally unplayable for a lot of players. On PC/PS4/XB1 there were crashes almost every 20 minutes. The hit detection was horrific and there were a host of other issues that made it unplayable (falling through the ground, rubberbanding even on a good connection, vehicles spinning wildly) all of these are now fixed and with this years March patch they did a huge overhaul of the netcode which has hugely improved this. 3 months in it was mostly fixed, so you're lucky you experienced it then and not on launch. 

It wasn't MCC, but it was definitely runner up.

Can somebody please say the same damn thing for another 10 pages? Please?

Can somebody please say the same damn thing for another 10 pages? Please?

• Upvote (+1) 4