CyReN

Halo: MCC is definitely a black eye for us - Frank O'Connor

"The MCC is going to be fixed and working perfectly for most people..."  4:40

lol

"most" as in the vast majority of people, or "most" as in "most of the games are on dedicated servers"?

Wow a very honest account of the events after MCC's release. Why couldn't he come up with an explanation like that earlier? It probably would not have helped too much either, but would've addressed a lot of the theories and outrage that was out there at the time.

Frank right there is being more professional in his wording and honesty than Bonnie Ross ever was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo cannot be saved. They had everything going for them this time and they completely choked. What was going for them? Let's see here:

-A CoD game that polarized their own community. Those could have been fresh members of a revitalized Halo community.

-They had some pro's working for them.

-The advantage of being a second year Xbox exclusive.

-XB1's finally came down in price due to making the Kinect's optional.

-They didn't design most of the games in this compilation, they just had to deliver working versions of other people's work.

-XB1 supports cloud servers.

-The controller is fairly strong with an exception of the dead zone.

-Halo CE over XBL!

This year will be rougher for them. There are a LOT of good games coming out this fall plus it's against a Treyarch CoD game. Treyarch's janitors are better at making games than 343's employees. (LoLs)

Plus if this is a black eye than Halo 4 must've been a slap in the face. H5's gonna be the cheating girlfriend and drug problem. Basically nothing but JAIL for 343 until they get replaced/disbanded or Halo gets the axe forever from M$.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does 343i dare take us for fools....

343i are snake-oil salesmen. They need devs that are as talented and creative as their marketing team. Or even half as talented.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 and MCC were both black eyes for 343, what is halo 5 going to be?  A kick in the groin?

Dumpster-Fire.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can someone please give me +rep I cannot stand seeing the numbers "343" in my rep counter... It disgusts me.

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 3

"However, I will say that the nature of The Master Chief Collection - you've got five different game engines, you've got five different studios working on it, you've got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous."

If he's trying to use this as an excuse, that's totally unbelievable. 343 PROMISED that this would work, even though EVERYONE was telling them they couldn't do it. I guess I was foolish to believe them that it was possible to have 5 different games, campaign and multiplayer and all, on a single disk. What a disappointment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MCC should halve been the final nail in the coffin for 343 not a black eye.

Exactly. How is Frank still employed there?

Frankie is slick, he is very vague when talking about the problems that didn't arise during testing. Look how carefully he chooses his words, he has yet to explain to us exactly what didn't pop up during testing, not a mention of one of the many issues. ...

Oh, that is how...

"However, I will say that the nature of The Master Chief Collection - you've got five different game engines, you've got five different studios working on it, you've got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous."

If he's trying to use this as an excuse, that's totally unbelievable. 343 PROMISED that this would work, even though EVERYONE was telling them they couldn't do it. I guess I was foolish to believe them that it was possible to have 5 different games, campaign and multiplayer and all, on a single disk. What a disappointment.

Thank you the +rep gods have shined their light upon you. 

The source code and PC versions of the game were available, no reason they could have not get it working.

• Downvote (-1) 1

"The MCC is going to be fixed and working perfectly for most people..."  4:40

lol

For me that reads, not everyone, but that is another way of saying a few people. How many people make up most people after most people have abandoned MCC and moved on?

Didn't they say something similar with H4's release too?

Meh. Still plan on buying H5 used for the campaign.

Where is my $1,000 I spent on two stoneage consoles and two broken games? Until I get that money back that was stolen from me, I'm never spending a penny on them again. Halo Online modded has more potential than Halo 5 anyway. 343i if you see this, congrats on being criminals and pm me my one grand please.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This is no different than any other blog post or apology. Never specific about anything. Just vagueness. I wish Frank would just be frank with us for once.

It's not necessarily a lie - Ubisoft had the same issues with Assassin's Creed last year. The dev kit consoles they had in-house were apparently different from the retail version that consumers have access to and issues that weren't present on their internal hardware cropped up as soon as the game got out into the wild.

Now, given that 343i is a first party Microsoft studio it seems like a massive oversight that they wouldn't also have access to retail machines to test with, but I find it hard to see this claim as a falsehood when I've heard it from two completely different studios and know from my own experience QA testing games that small hardware differences can result in significantly different results despite the software being the same.

Ignoring the fact the games was clearly broken in pre release tournaments and for reviewers all while 343 claimed it was an "old build" and will all be fixed by launch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Where is my $1,000 I spent on two stoneage consoles and two broken games? Until I get that money back that was stolen from me, I'm never spending a penny on them again. Halo Online modded has more potential than Halo 5 anyway. 343i if you see this, congrats on being criminals and pm me my one grand please.

Ignoring the fact that the console and game purchases are completely separate, why did you spend $1,000 without waiting the very small amount of time it would take to ensure it was worth it? Seriously.

Ignoring the fact that the console and game purchases are completely separate, why did you spend $1,000 without waiting the very small amount of time it would take to ensure it was worth it? Seriously.

Bought some limited time bundle. Thought it was worth it at the time. Two extra controllers too. I asked if the game didn't work out could I return the consoles too. I was told yes. I come back 2 months after MCC release and they wouldn't accept it. Figures.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"If you try to bridge the [game design] gap with compromise, I think you make a terrible error."

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhhhhhhhhhh

• Upvote (+1) 9

Bought some limited time bundle. Thought it was worth it at the time. Two extra controllers too. I asked if the game didn't work out could I return the consoles too. I was told yes. I come back 2 months after MCC release and they wouldn't accept it. Figures.

It's generally 1 month for returns... why would you expect to return it after 2 months? Where did you buy it?

"If you try to bridge the [game design] gap with compromise, I think you make a terrible error."

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhhhhhhhhhh

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Halo 5 is truly our last hope. Let's all hope that Halo 5 delivers... us from evil. 

How many last hopes do we have?

• Upvote (+1) 1