CyReN

Halo: MCC is definitely a black eye for us - Frank O'Connor

Halo 4 and MCC were both black eyes for 343, what is halo 5 going to be?  A kick in the groin?

Lights out hopefully

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm pretty sure all the problems the MCC has can't/won't be fixed before Halo 5 comes out. And once it does we'll be lucky to get playlist updates

giphy.gif

Cat in cupboard = 343

Other cat = us

the thing is, MCC should last us as long as the X1 is around. There should be no reason it doesnt get regular updates etc.

i know that wont be the case, but there is no excuse

• Upvote (+1) 1

there were a lot of things that happened when we got it into a retail environment that we simply didn’t see in a test environment

We might be able to move on a little if they stop fucking lying to us...

• Upvote (+1) 3

The only thing that bothers me about any of this is that we stopped to even talk about how it was a "black eye" for 343. They can take that shit and shove it. It was a black eye for the people who spent upwards of $400+ dollars to play that broken piece of trash that MCC was on release. Lets talk about that. Otherwise though I feel like this was a decent interview and I can't find issue with anything said as it was all too vague to really be specific to any one thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MCC should halve been the final nail in the coffin for 343 not a black eye.

Despite the spelling mistake. This is the quote of the thread. 

Leads me on to think that what if Halo 5 is met with lukewarm sales and customer dissatisfaction?

343i scrapped and Halo in limbo is my opinion. If this does happen what household IP exclusive does the Xbox One have? Gears of War but in my opinion that will never live up to the legacy Halo (did and) should have.

We might be able to move on a little if they stop fucking lying to us...

It's not necessarily a lie - Ubisoft had the same issues with Assassin's Creed last year. The dev kit consoles they had in-house were apparently different from the retail version that consumers have access to and issues that weren't present on their internal hardware cropped up as soon as the game got out into the wild.

Now, given that 343i is a first party Microsoft studio it seems like a massive oversight that they wouldn't also have access to retail machines to test with, but I find it hard to see this claim as a falsehood when I've heard it from two completely different studios and know from my own experience QA testing games that small hardware differences can result in significantly different results despite the software being the same.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 4 and MCC were both black eyes for 343, what is halo 5 going to be? A kick in the groin?

Just judging by beta, I think the worse would be a kick in the shin lol

6 more months for 343 and they can officially never touch MCC again. 

Enjoy it while you have it everyone.  Because the state that it is in, is pretty much how it will stay. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like to see three things from 343/Microsoft.

1) A reasonably detailed explanation of what went wrong with the launch of MCC.

I'm under the assumption that a broken product was rushed out to meet a holiday deadline, that you knew the MCC was broken when you shipped, and that you were hoping and praying for the day 1 patch to save your ass once the game was out. It's going to take more than "we didn't anticipate the retail environment" to convince me otherwise.

2) Continued fixes to the game, restoration of missing features, frequent playlist updates, and a UI design overhaul.

Many parts of the game are still malfunctioning, the playlists are an absolute joke, and the UI is the worst in the series. You also can't save films or share files easily with other players. Significant improvements to these areas would convince me that you are giving this collection the attention and care it deserves.

3) Promotions (Games with Gold, DLC, etc) to help entice players to return.

Many people left the MCC with a horrible impression of both the Halo series and 343. Once fixes, improvements, and extra content have been added, promote the game so that it has a chance of being the community hub people were expecting it to be.

I agree. But on the UI part, are you talking about the functionality or design. I think the design is very good.

Despite the spelling mistake. This is the quote of the thread.

Leads me on to think that what if Halo 5 is met with lukewarm sales and customer dissatisfaction?

343i scrapped and Halo in limbo is my opinion. If this does happen what household IP exclusive does the Xbox One have? Gears of War but in my opinion that will never live up to the legacy Halo (did and) should have.

343i won't be scrapped, but similar to an NFL team, the executives would be fired. I do think the people that design the game ate extremely talented. I think a complete tear down of the developer and rebuild it, just not eliminate entirely.

I agree. But on the UI part, are you talking about the functionality or design. I think the design is very good.

I'm not a fan of the design, particularly in the settings, customization, and gametype menus.

Using the bumpers to navigate sub-menus is very aggravating in my experience. The gametype selection menu is horizontal and made up of large tiles, which means you can only see three items at a time while scrolling through a list.

To be perfectly honest, there were a lot of things that happened when we got it into a retail environment that we simply didn’t see in a test environment, so that’s what really caught us by surprise. 

still trying to use this bullshit excuse eh? So my xbox, in my house, connected to xbl is different than their xboxes in their offices, connected to xbl?

auto_%C3%A9dit%C3%A9_100MDOl.gif

So that's why I had lobby and matchmaking issues. Who woulda thought? 

Also, my achievements not unlocking and my UI being buggy are because my xbox and copy of MCC were both different from what they used to test the game

again...who woulda thought? 343 had the special copy of mcc this whole time, along with an xbox that cooperated properly with the game...we were all just unfortunate to get bad versions of both.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm pretty sure all the problems the MCC has can't/won't be fixed before Halo 5 comes out. And once it does we'll be lucky to get playlist updates

giphy.gif

Cat in cupboard = 343

Other cat = us

nah, it's more like this...

up5gqVv.gif

look at their faces as they steal money from us while lying through their teeth about this product not showing any issues during testing

• Upvote (+1) 3

still trying to use this bullshit excuse eh? So my xbox, in my house, connected to xbl is different than their xboxes in their offices, connected to xbl?

So that's why I had lobby and matchmaking issues. Who woulda thought? 

Also, my achievements not unlocking and my UI being buggy are because my xbox and copy of MCC were both different from what they used to test the game

again...who woulda thought? 343 had the special copy of mcc this whole time, along with an xbox that cooperated properly with the game...we were all just unfortunate to get bad versions of both.

I'm not defending them at all but it'll probably come across as that but whatever.

I don't think he's blaming every single issue on this, just some of it. It's still not an excuse because you should have proper tests in place to ensure it works in a retail environment before it actually makes its way to retail but still, he's not trying to play it off that ever single issue currently present in MCC was because of lack of proper testing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not defending them at all but it'll probably come across as that but whatever.

I don't think he's blaming every single issue on this, just some of it. It's still not an excuse because you should have proper tests in place to ensure it works in a retail environment before it actually makes its way to retail but still, he's not trying to play it off that ever single issue currently present in MCC was because of lack of proper testing.

Frankie is slick, he is very vague when talking about the problems that didn't arise during testing. Look how carefully he chooses his words, he has yet to explain to us exactly what didn't pop up during testing, not a mention of one of the many issues. It's been 6 months and we don't know what they saw or didn't saw during testing. I refuse to believe they had multiple xboxes connected in a LAN or Online setting and didn't see any of the connection issues that we saw during the first few H2A tourneys or the xbl issues on day 1. I refuse to believe this. 

I've seen other games come out with a day 1 patch to fix issues with the game that came up during testing. We had a patch on day 1 that was suppose to add the multiplayer and other stuff, I can only imagine how much of it contained fixes for bugs that were present during testing, none of which was explained to us to keep them as a company in good light. This isn't me being a conspiracy theorist either, it's just me acknowledge the scumbaggery of this company that refuses to keep it straightforward with us all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 7