CyReN

Halo: MCC is definitely a black eye for us - Frank O'Connor

I feel the same way man I haven't touched a halo multiplayer since 1,2, and 3 and have no intention on playing Halo 5. I spent right at a grand on xbox one, astro head set, and a ben q monitor to play halo ce on xbl for the first time ever. All I care is that they get it working correctly and thats the only thing I will play for the next 5 years or so. There are a ton of people that got suckered into mcc because they said it will be just the way we remembered it and we could care less about Halo 5. If they truly polish halo mcc games and get them working correctly then no more complaining from me just happy gaming until they shut down the mcc servers. If they dont completely fix it, 343 is dead to me and I will complain about them anytime they are brought up plain and simple.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why is 343 always implying that all fans of MCC want to play Halo 5?

Because they want to sell it to you... whether you want it or not.

At this point, from a marketing perspective, it's hardly a secret that MCC was setting up thousands of people for the next Halo game by making them own an Xbox One.

However, based on Halo 4, I would never have bought an Xbox One just for the next Halo. Not in a thousand years. I'm sure the same goes for a lot of people. And based on what Bungie is doing with Destiny and Activison/Sony, most people would have transitioned to PS4. CoD is also available there. So what does Xbox has going for it? Sunset Overdrive? Don't make me laugh, that shit was up for free a few months back.

MCC was the ultimate bait for veteran Halo fans who, like me, hated Halo 4, but loved the other games.

However, MCC was never meant to be outstanding and undermine future Halo games' sales, but just be enough of an incentive for people to purchase the console, while not being too much at the same time. When you look at all the factors (including Micro$oft), it is too good to be true. If I love Halo CE more than every Halo game that came after, then what's the point in purchasing the future Halo games if I have access to a full working next-gen version 24/7 with lots of people on it? I'm not going to.

I'm sure someone, somewhere realized this much, and that's kind of why MCC is never 100% what you'd expect of it, in ANY regard. But we're "getting there" (way too little too late). Even if it reaches 100% working state by the time Halo 5 comes out -- which it won't -- who's gonna give a shit? All eyes will be on Halo 5 because of how outstanding the marketing and advertising is. The population won't be able to sustain it and it'll just die over time.

Halo 5 is where the true efforts are being poured into and it shows when you look at how it's being marketed and how well the beta ran in comparison to MCC who had gone "gold" weeks before it even came out.

So, at this point, doesn't matter what you, me or anyone wants out of MCC... you now own a console for Halo 5, and it was the plan all along.

removes tinfoil hat

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343i is letting a guy that doesn't have enough common sense to lace his shoes make decisions about one of the biggest gaming franchises ever?

However, based on Halo 4, I would never have bought an Xbox One just for the next Halo. Not in a thousand years. I'm sure the same goes for a lot of people. And based on what Bungie is doing with Destiny and Activison/Sony, most people would have transitioned to PS4. CoD is also available there. So what does Xbox has going for it? Sunset Overdrive? Don't make me laugh, that shit was up for free a few months back.

Depends on what games you enjoy, I bought an XBONE for MCC & Quantum Break, meanwhile only game I want that's on PS4 is Bloodborne.

All in all; if you don't like some games, that's fine, don't assume other people don't like it.

Edit: Sunset was free for a day for people to test, not free as in "grab it now and keep it forever!"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Depends on what games you enjoy, I bought an XBONE for MCC & Quantum Break, meanwhile only game I want that's on PS4 is Bloodborne.

All in all; if you don't like some games, that's fine, don't assume other people don't like it.

Edit: Sunset was free for a day for people to test, not free as in "grab it now and keep it forever!"

The irony is this is the fact that because you feel your purchase was justified, you think I'm in the wrong. I'm glad you love your Xbox One for that one game which isn't even out and the other that's not in a working state after 6 months, but the facts are, PS4 has been outselling Xbox One month after month, and the One was a significant downgrade and disappointment in terms of features compared to 360, excluding the hardware that had no other choice than to upgrade over the years.

ps4vsxboxonevswiiundashtotal-january2015

Even though VGChartz is a shit website with inaccurate figures, it's hard to lie about console sales (unlike pre-orders or whatever else). This info is available online if you do your own research.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

The irony is this is the fact that because you feel your purchase was justified, you think I'm in the wrong. I'm glad you love your Xbox One for that one game which isn't even out and the other that's not in a working state after 6 months, but the facts are, PS4 has been outselling Xbox One month after month, and the One was a significant downgrade and disappointment in terms of features compared to 360, excluding the hardware that had no other choice than to upgrade over the years.

Even though VGChartz is a shit website with inaccurate figures, it's hard to lie about console sales (unlike pre-orders or whatever else). This info is available online if you do your own research.

Did I say I felt my purchase was justified? No.

Did I say I love my XBONE? No.

Please do not put words into others mouth.

I only said I bought my XBONE for the games I want(which I did), do I care if something outsells something else? Why should I, as long as I play what I want to play and you play whatever you want to play, it's fine in my books.

Edit: Also, the XBONE(along with MCC) has underperformed in pretty much every area, yes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did I say I felt my purchase was justified? No.

Did I say I love my XBONE? No.

Please do not put words into others mouth.

I only said I bought my XBONE for the games I want(which I did), do I care if something outsells something else? Why should I, as long as I play what I want to play and you play whatever you want to play, it's fine in my books.

Edit: Also, the XBONE(along with MCC) has underperformed in pretty much every area, yes.

The point is that the Xbox One has no significantly popular and/or interesting exclusives, and that shows on its sales. You told me not to assume people don't like most games, and it wasn't an assumption, it was based of stats, which is why I brought up them up in the first place. I don't give a shit if someone wants to spend a million dollars on 2000 Xboxes.

What confuses me the most is here is how you were telling me not to assume that people don't like most of the (exclusive) games on Xbox One, just to end up telling me you don't think your Xbox One is worth it.

It seems like all of the gaming industry is taking a bad turn.

What? This has nothing to do with the games industry. This is about the retailer not honouring their return policy. If I was this guy I would have taken legal action.

Literally the only reason I buy an Xbox these days is for Halo and I know I am not the only one who will not even be thinking about buying H5(a game I dont have high expectations for) before they fully fix MCC so I can justify my purchase of the XB1 beyond a Netflix machine. Its a shame too because so many of my oldschool Halo friends who had moved onto PC+PS4 or other things came back JUST for the MCC and the promise of fully functional HCE/H2C/H3 and now most of those people are gone. The veteran Halo fan-base is really split on the series past H3 so 343 is not bringing anyone back into the fold by their handling of MCC which were childhood favorites of those people.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why is 343 always implying that all fans of MCC want to play Halo 5? I don't care if Halo 5 is functional or not. I want to play Halo: CE, Halo 2 Classic, and Halo 3 like what we were promised. How is Halo 5 relevant to the problems of MCC? Of course we know that 343 is aware that made the fuck up of the century and that Halo 5 is a different team. They remind us every day about the Halo 5 team being separate. Like every other update we got, we have learned nothing.

"you’ve got five different game engines, you’ve got five different studios working on it, you’ve got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous."

...So? We're not your parents. We're not looking for excuses. We payed for a game that was advertised as a collection of four Halo games "like we remembered them". Playing that game is what we care about. 343 can say excuses and act like Halo 5 won't have the same fate as Halo 4 all they want, it's not going to change anything about MCC. As a MCC fan, I fail to see how "but Halo 5 will work!" should make me feel better.

It's not an excuse, it's him explaining why H5 won't have the same problems, or at least hopefully won't.

And the reason he's talking about H5 is because that's their flagship title releasing at the end of the year. Of course he's going to talk about it. Literally the only reason for this article was to explain why H5 won't have the same issues as the MCC.

I too spent a great deal of money on an XB1 and MCC. It's still the only game I own for my XB1. There's no chance that I'll buy Halo 5 at launch. I've learned my lesson and I'll take a wait and see approach this time. Maybe I'll pick it up used sometime after launch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Because they want to sell it to you... whether you want it or not.

At this point, from a marketing perspective, it's hardly a secret that MCC was setting up thousands of people for the next Halo game by making them own an Xbox One.

Hey hey HEY HEY. Don't be crapping on Sunset Overdrive. That game was all kinds of awesome.

A side note, the Wii U has arguably the best exclusives of any current gen console by far, yet it's in dead last place. Best exclusives don't always (or even usually) equal best sales.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Should have argued and fought it then.

I did. A lot. Didn't matter. I call ms support and they didn't care.

343i is letting a guy that doesn't have enough common sense to lace his shoes make decisions about one of the biggest gaming franchises ever?

What are you talking about? They haven't asked me for any help yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So... Its been a month or two and I'm still not playing Halo. Fix it 343i

I've not had many issues with mcc in a while, although I'm likely just one of the lucky ones that was in the update gods favor.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the beta is already a decent first step, in a retail environment, showing that we don’t have the same problems.

Huh

My experience with the H5 beta involved sitting in queue for 20+ minutes each time

I had something like a full 6 hours set aside to play it with my brother and between the two of us we got 5 games

I do not understand how Microsoft, the biggest software company in the universe, cannot figure out how to do something that's been figured out by countless small companies with capital that's pissing in the wind compared to MS' bankroll

It's not necessarily a lie - Ubisoft had the same issues with Assassin's Creed last year. The dev kit consoles they had in-house were apparently different from the retail version that consumers have access to and issues that weren't present on their internal hardware cropped up as soon as the game got out into the wild.

Now, given that 343i is a first party Microsoft studio it seems like a massive oversight that they wouldn't also have access to retail machines to test with, but I find it hard to see this claim as a falsehood when I've heard it from two completely different studios and know from my own experience QA testing games that small hardware differences can result in significantly different results despite the software being the same.

QFT.

The chart is total units? Measuring by units is no reliable way to measure the success of each console in relation to each other. It is only to show what is most popular. There are major pricing differences between the three, not only with the price of the console, but also with the price of online services like XBL vs PSN. A line chart of Total Revenue over time would be a much better representation of consoles performance than units sold.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't they say something similar with H4's release too?

Yeah.

Between the time of them taking over Halo but before information about H4 came out people were wary/skeptical/whatever about them and they came out and said shit like "don't worry, trust us, we have the best talent in the industry working here, we got dis".

And after H4s disaster they came out and were like "guise, guise plz go easy on us, its not our fault, it was our first game as a studio, plz stahpt".

Its quite comical.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The chart is total units? Measuring by units is no reliable way to measure the success of each console in relation to each other. It is only to show what is most popular. There are major pricing differences between the three, not only with the price of the console, but also with the price of online services like XBL vs PSN. A line chart of Total Revenue over time would be a much better representation of consoles performance than units sold.

I think the popularity is more key than net profit (which is where your revenue leads to). I say this because Microsoft lowered the price intentionally cutting their net profit to gain more sold units. It is clear popularity is more important to Microsoft than net profit.

Yes it is total units, and while I agree it's not a 1:1 ratio to represent popularity, but it will give you a good idea.

Then again, I doubt something so precise is tracked. I'm sure their total revenue including all the other services and products offered can be found online, but then you slip into more than just gaming, which is even more inaccurate to gauge the consoles and XBL/PSN's success than just going off the amount of units sold. Microsoft sells tons of computers, tablets, phones, programs and the such, and Sony has an even wider array of various electronics found around a household, including TVs, sound systems, cameras, phones, etc.

I think looking at the units sold like this is as close as you'll get.