washedfrank

My Thoughts on Continued Progression and Renewed Relationships

I just spat out my coffee. There were some good names in that list but Hero's Blast is forever tainted. Thanks a lot Batchford! :P

Hahaha. Honestly you guys are on the right track on naming weapons, for example The Hydra is a cool name for a gun.

If you bring back the CE Pistol, please please please name it the TSK.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hahaha. Honestly you guys are on the right track on naming weapons, for example The Hydra is a cool name for a gun.

If you bring back the CE Pistol, please please please name it the TSK.

I feel like there's a Keyes/Key pun which could be made. The Key _____

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like there's a Keyes/Key pun which could be made. The Key _____

Hello I'm The Keymaster, are you The Gatekeeper? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

What? His post was well written and had good points and you act like it was a rant/troll post? 

negged.

OT: This community is just tired of 343's bullshit. H4 was the first strike, MCC was the second and H5 will be the third. I know of no other developer that gets away with this kind of behaviour.

And lol at "burning bridges" with 343. So just because once in blue moon a 343 employee decides to come out of their ivory tower and talk to us peasant consumers we should kiss their asses? The stuff Frankie posted in the H5 thread and the arrogant replies on twitter ("selection bias") should say enough about how they view their fan base.

It was a joke/Halo pun. I gave his post plus-rep and I absolutely think he is right. I was referring to the "no chill" nature of his post. Basically saying "tell us how you really feel."

I can see it didn't send that message very well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really don't think it's a case of forgetting, more that you can have your own opinions whilst having a civil discussion. For example saying 343 hates Halo in any sort of meaningful fashion (outside of the original context of the article) is the sort of circle jerk stupidity that looks to appeal to emotion and nothing more.

It's unfortunate that people bought XB1's for MCC but it is a lesson people should have been learnt if not by the horrible year of broken releases but by H4's own failures on release. People might be salty about that comment but ask yourself if you'll blindly buy again. Blind faith is just as bad as blind hate.

343 can be much better, as can we, it's really that simple.

Agree entirely on the first point.

I'm sure that over time I will play other games on it but I was one of those who bought my XB1 specifically for MCC. I guess I did blindly buy the game, but I own hundreds (maybe a thousand) games and I've never had to worry about the game working. Is that something I shouldn't take for granted? The thought never even crossed my mind that I might buy a game where half of it just wouldn't work. I'm also a bit stunned that more hasn't been done to compensate for this. I would have expected a refund or credit large enough to buy a full game.

I'm sure that over time I will play other games on it but I was one of those who bought my XB1 specifically for MCC. I guess I did blindly buy the game, but I own hundreds (maybe a thousand) games and I've never had to worry about the game working. Is that something I shouldn't take for granted? The thought never even crossed my mind that I might buy a game where half of it just wouldn't work. I'm also a bit stunned that more hasn't been done to compensate for this. I would have expected a refund or credit large enough to buy a full game.

It's becoming more and more prevalent in consoles. With PC gaming it's pretty much standard practice to expect the game to be fucked up in some capacity, this is especially true with multilayer where you're adding more elements that can go wrong (servers probably the most notable from last year). The back end of 2013 into 2014 was a particularly horrible period for it where if it wasn't a completely borked game on release, a lot of games fell well short of expectation in terms of scope and content (Titanfall / Destiny). Developers have basically started factoring in the ability of almost all players to access the internet in some way so you get things like 'day patches 1' which allows them to push back those functional concerns later and later into the development cycle.

Halo is the prime example of a title that always has had its scope and polish limited by the allocated timeframe of release. The difference previously was that the developer knew that if they fucked up the initial release it would be the worst thing possible because it would alienate fans that couldn't download the 500mb patch so they chose to compromise and lose a campaign mission here or a feature there. Obviously modern developers still compromise, but they do so with the knowledge that right close to release constitutes as potential productive time because most people will simply download the update and be none the wiser.

In the current climate I don't think it is something people should take for granted. There's very little reason nowadays to pre-order or buy on the night without knowing the quality of the product you're purchasing from when you can wait to see how it all pans out and buy the digital copy when you're satisfied. Not only that but first day ('Day 0' UUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHH) benefits are usually artificial bullshit, who cares if I start with some extra money in GTA or if I get an XP multiplier in CoD, isn't the whole point to play the games?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree entirely on the first point.

You would never in a million years have imagined that coming from Microsoft would you?

@@careh you cannot compare PC with console because console is a single platform and PC is a wide range of platforms. Reach netcode and all work just fine and it is old. There is no excuse for newer console games to be worse than a game five years older.

I just spat out my coffee. There were some good names in that list but Hero's Blast is forever tainted. Thanks a lot Batchford! :P

It may seem like a simple change but it's really not. Hard to explain without going through the technical details in depth but weapon zoom impacts a number of systems like HUD, animation, effects, audio, gameplay tuning, etc. It's a complex beast and takes a lot of effort to reconfigure what on the surface may seem like just a presentation layer for the weapon.

@@Sal1ent Thanks for the response, I guess that makes sense. I hope they can be cleaned up a bit before final release though.

Also we need a Keyes Pistol that is TSK and projectile... that would be really awesome for us H1 fans!

@@careh you cannot compare PC with console because console is a single platform and PC is a wide range of platforms. Reach netcode and all work just fine and it is old. There is no excuse for newer console games to be worse than a game five years older.

Nowhere did I say it was excusable, merely that this is how things are. Similarly you can ignore PC gaming entirely, it doesn't change the fact that consoles are basically moving to a similar model where updating their product after launch is a now a more viable option.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nowhere did I say it was excusable, merely that this is how things are. Similarly you can ignore PC gaming entirely, it doesn't change the fact that consoles are basically moving to a similar model where updating their product after launch is a now a more viable option.

Yes I agree with this.