washedfrank

My Thoughts on Continued Progression and Renewed Relationships

Forgive and forget, harboring negativity isn't healthy. 

Frank is trying to be professional now. Take some time we will have to get used to it aha

Frank's trying to get that clean slate. Maybe trying to do some more casting or get further involved? Forgive and forget man! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I learned an important lesson from MCC - and that is that you can take games that were amazing and ruin them with seemingly very small changes (even beyond the game breaking problems that dominated the headlines).  Things as trivial as diagonal stick acceleration.  Even assuming you have a great base game, so many things need to be tuned to such a fine manner to make it a great game.  Given this insight (beyond the glaringly obvious big picture problems like H4, the disastrous MCC debacle, and the bro-tard H5 beta), I just don't believe 343 can make a great game.  I don't care if they start from scratch or just try to port a classic game, I simply don't believe they can do it.  Every time they do something it's 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.  They've worn me out.  I hate their vision for Halo, I don't believe in their technical abilities, and I'm just hoping, like Gollum in the Two Towers, that the darkness just goes away and never comes back.  Sorry to be so negative, but that's where I've ended up.  I'm sure they're great people and, under different circumstances, I'd have a great time having beer them or something but my faith in them as custodians of Halo is completely, utterly, and irrevocably gone.   :(  

LEAVE NOW AND NEVER COME BACK!!!!!!

ot. good post. I agree very strongly with the bold, it was like i was reading one of my own posts from another time. like future sk0ls.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Anger is pointless at this point.  Be smart.  Sure we got duped and used and lied to but anger is not going to repair any of that.  We are the clear minority in the halo world and if we continue to carry on like this we appear just like the spoiled brats they think we are.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Don't stop providing feedback, but attempt to do so in a more tactful way that forgoes the emotionally charged and often times negative route.

How much more tactful can we get than to say

You liars

Fix MCC first

Give us a full refund

Give halo to devs that love halo

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

LOL Censorship 

There's no censorship, you just spammed a bunch of game boxes with no text. I can't tell if this was on your Amazon Wishlist or what you wanted Santa to give you. If you want to actually add to the convo please do.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I still play the game, and I've gotten over the many flaws... but I think the criticism is completely justified. If this were Bungie circa 2005 with pre-patch settings, I would be more patient, because of their success with Halo 1, and the fact they weren't rushing new releases... But we all know in a few months 343 will abandon this game and focus on their new "Halo" game for the Holiday season.

This

They are intentionally planning to never deliver on their advertising. That is the worst of their deception. So how does one just accept that attitude from a Dev and continue to buy their product? I just don't get it myself.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There's no censorship, you just spammed a bunch of game boxes with no text. I can't tell if this was on your Amazon Wishlist or what you wanted Santa to give you. If you want to actually add to the convo please do.

Well to be correct it would be more of a Steam/Origin wishlist. I have all those games except for Star Citizen that need to hurry up and be finished.

Anyways Halo needs to hurry up and get its shit together or people will just move on. With so many new and better games out here why should people be subjected to play a sub-par Halo experience.

Frank is trying to be professional now. Take some time we will have to get used to it aha

Frank's trying to get that clean slate. Maybe trying to do some more casting or get further involved? Forgive and forget man! 

He really wants to get unblocked on twitter mane.

All I’m asking is that you take a shot at empathy, attempt to understand where the other person is coming from, what the other person is trying to achieve, and see if in some way, no matter how warped it might appear, that they somehow align with your goals; your aspirations for the Halo franchise. Don’t sacrifice your integrity, your passion for this franchise; just realize that all parties blossom from this passion. 

To everyone who is upset with this post, or even just disagrees with it, I think this is the important part that I hope we can all take away.

You can say you disagree with the direction 343 is taking Halo, you can voice your disappointment with the Master Chief Collection. But instead of just saying "343 has no idea what they're doing, they're clueless, etc." maybe try and take a minute and think about what they're up against and some of the logic behind things they're doing.

I don't like rotational playlists, but I understand that an argument can be made that rotating playlists can bring people back to play it when they realize their favorite gametype has it's own playlist for a couple weeks, and maybe that person will stick around to play other playlists while there's is missing once they're reminded how much fun Halo can be.

Do I disagree with rotating playlists, yeah I do. But I can say I disagree with it without saying that 343 is nothing but a studio of incompetent buffoons. Just trying to be more relaxed and cool with each other is important I think. Does everyone post terrible things about 343 and individual studio members? No, not at all. But I think this is an important message to keep in mind before hitting that post button.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To everyone who is upset with this post, or even just disagrees with it, I think this is the important part that I hope we can all take away.

You can say you disagree with the direction 343 is taking Halo, you can voice your disappointment with the Master Chief Collection. But instead of just saying "343 has no idea what they're doing, they're clueless, etc." maybe try and take a minute and think about what they're up against and some of the logic behind things they're doing.

I'd agree with you if it the main problem was game design issues alone (like design decisions -- E.G. 50 shot kill BR vs. 3 shot kill pistol), but all the main titles we've gotten so far from 343 have been broken on a fundamental level -- the basic stuff you'd expect out of a video game, on top of the fact that a lot of their promotion of the game relied on misinformation, namely a lot of features that were missing from the games or promises just left unfulfilled.

Like they're just not meeting standards for the gaming industry, let alone AAA studios.

At this point, you can kind of pick your poison. Does it make you feel better to think that 343 knows 100% what they're doing and sold us a broken game on purpose, or would you rather tell yourself they just don't have a clue? Either way is rather depressing. Don't get me wrong, I know some 343 employees are amazing individuals on a personal level. For instance, I have a lot of respect for Josh Holmes. But it's hard to deny that someone, somewhere, is screwing up on a very big scale.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't like rotational playlists, but I understand that an argument can be made that rotating playlists can bring people back to play it when they realize their favorite gametype has it's own playlist for a couple weeks, and maybe that person will stick around to play other playlists while there's is missing once they're reminded how much fun Halo can be.

Do I disagree with rotating playlists, yeah I do. But I can say I disagree with it without saying that 343 is nothing but a studio of incompetent buffoons. Just trying to be more relaxed and cool with each other is important I think. Does everyone post terrible things about 343 and individual studio members? No, not at all. But I think this is an important message to keep in mind before hitting that post button.

Dude have you seen gametypes and settings in most playlists? They truly have no fucking idea what they're doing at a fundamental level. They don't understand halo. It's fucked up that these clowns are running the show. We need a real team of directors who understand halo and love it with a passion to make these decisions.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I dont really respect 343's design philosophy with Halo MP and I was angry for a long time when I played MCC/H5 beta and realized I had been duped not once but twice. There wouldn't be so much hostility and anger in the community if 343 just made a fkn functional Halo game that the core doesn't despise, but now that I see thats likely not going to happen I will wait and see if anything changes, but I am not holding my breath that Halo 5 will be well received by this community or will bring the buzz back to Halo MP.

It's kind of hard to forgive and forget every time I turn my Xbox One on and cannot get a match in a game they promised would be 'exactly as you remembered'. While my memory might not be so great, I do recall being able to actually get games back in 2007 and 2008. 

How can anyone forget, let alone forgive these guys for what they did.

And the sad thing is, Halo 5 will be the first Halo, since the release of Halo CE, I will not purchase.

I just cannot justify giving these guys any more of my money, when the 2 previous products I bought, were inferior.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Most of the anger is appropriate, and well justified, but in the long run how do we recover? Halo Online seems like the future of Halo and while that isn't at stock, the most optimal competitive straight out of the package (okay, first run), I truly believe modding's going to bring us back at some point. Will we have to wait? The dark and depressingly realistic side of me says yes, is it worth it to get away from the troubled state of 343i/Microsoft Halo? Yes. I'm not going to threaten the developers of their mortality, am I at the point in my life where I need to move on and hope for the best? Yes. I should have been well past that point. My optimism was painfully blind optimism during the announcement for the collection. Whatever I have left are scraps of gray paper in the brush fire waiting to be set alight. I wanted to see a bright future, but was clouded by hype. I'm probably never going to hype after a game again. Mortal Kombat X is my only example for this year.

Thing is I'm seeing consoles as my "legacy gaming" and PC as the future for Halo. I can't use a keyboard worth a damn, but that's expected from somebody that grew up on gaming consoles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know. I think 343 is on a good track with Halo 5 which includes new innovative features. However, they then destroyed all that good will by adding sprint ones again and adjusting the scale of maps to sprint.

The overall customer base 343 wants to appeal to has never been the competitive community, its not even the Halo veterans anymore. 343 wants Halo to be Halo with all the elements that COD has so COD kids will be attracted to the game.

What can we do? We need COD, Gears and Battlefield kids to get tired of how superficial, bad and anti-competitive their game is before hoping that 343 will cater to us. Once 343's new generation and audience of gamers change their attitude of what they like in a competitive shooter its our turn again. Until then, nothing to be done.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the message has been received by 343 Industries that we are less than satisfied with the launch of the Master Chief Collection. The Halo Championship Series has suffered because of it, and yes the competitive community has suffered because of it. 

But, at a certain point you have to say okay, they messed up, they know they messed up, they might even still be messing up, but how can we positively influence them with feedback so that the entire franchise can benefit going forward. 

The anger was justified, but at a certain point you have to take a step back and reevaluate your approach, because no amount of witty critique or hate will change what's happened in the past. 

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 5

To me the Master Chief Collection merely damaged 343's reputation even futher. It's success was never going to have an impact on the gameplay approach in Halo 5.

Welcome to Microsoft. They primarily care about sales. Whatever the majority wants, THAT's what we'll get. Change the culture and you'll get a better game from a mainstream, profit-driven company like 343. Or hope for a smaller company (like Bungie originally) to emerge and come up with sth new that doesn't have to meet sales expectiations.

I think the message has been received by 343 Industries that we are less than satisfied with the launch of the Master Chief Collection. The Halo Championship Series has suffered because of it, and yes the competitive community has suffered because of it. 

But, at a certain point you have to say okay, they messed up, they know they messed up, they might even still be messing up, but how can we positively influence them with feedback so that the entire franchise can benefit going forward. 

The anger was justified, but at a certain point you have to take a step back and reevaluate your approach, because no amount of witty critique or hate will change what's happened in the past. 

Are you fucking kidding? The compromising, polite approach was attempted literally non-stop from November 6, 2012 until about December 31, 2014.

It didn't work, bro.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are you fucking kidding? The compromising, polite approach was attempted literally non-stop from November 6, 2012 until about December 31, 2014.

It didn't work, bro.

And the aggravated approach changed?   

• Upvote (+1) 1