Sign in to follow this  
Proto

Official Iron Games Atlanta Feedback Thread

The crowd was pretty full of Denial fans, so whenever @@Mikwen was going off with the sniper rifle, we were all going nuts. It's a shame y'all couldn't hear us. 

We need more player interviews. They only have a few interviews a day form what I saw. How else are we going to get great comments like the Oger twins are = to the Olsin twins? Players need to show more personality. They are to polite these days. "anything you want to say to the other team?" "Ya uh good luck." WTF is that? Boring that's what it is. 

I don't get why people are confused by the double elimination grand finals. That's how MLG did it near the end of Halo 3 and for Halo: Reach, right? Or am I remembering incorrectly. I know they do it for CoD right now, and have done it like that for a while. 

You're right

We need more player interviews. They only have a few interviews a day form what I saw. How else are we going to get great comments like the Oger twins are = to the Olsin twins? Players need to show more personality. They are to polite these days. "anything you want to say to the other team?" "Ya uh good luck." WTF is that? Boring that's what it is. 

That's why I loved @@RyaNoob's interview. 

"Shoutout to my old team for dropping me"

I missed this. When was this? Gonna try to find it on the vod. Also, didnt ryanoob quit denial?

I thought this was a great event.

1. The stream quality was very nice.

2. The breaks were short. And in the event of a glitch or a black-screen we were notified the reason for the delay.

3. The bracket was unbelievably amazing. I follow and watch a lot of eSports and that IG bracket was as good as any.

4. The instant stats through igleaderboards.com was pretty amazing.

5. The stats on the side of the screen during game-play was wonderful, and I hope it can be advanced in the future.

6. The overlays were all nice and accurate, except for a hiccup here and there. But overall, very professional.

7. The interviews could have used some work. I am not sure the lady who was interviewing was knowledgeable on Halo, and I think that hurt in the end. I hope organizations can find potential interviewers who follow the Halo scene, and can ask pointed questions.

8. I would like to see more player introductions. I would like to see more team introductions. Get the casual viewer, who just clicks on the twitch.com front page link, to find some interest in what is happening on screen if they can't just get hooked on pure game-play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I missed this. When was this? Gonna try to find it on the vod. Also, didnt ryanoob quit denial?

Don't know the timemark, but it was after CLG series I believe. Towards the end of S1, he was joking around (Mikwen didn't find it funny) about leaving Denial, but Denial org "let him go" after they acquired Heinz. 

Don't know the timemark, but it was after CLG series I believe. Towards the end of S1, he was joking around (Mikwen didn't find it funny) about leaving Denial, but Denial org "let him go" after they acquired Heinz.

Ah thanks. I'll check it out.

Ps. How's your sodium levels? Still recovering? :D

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ah thanks. I'll check it out.

Ps. How's your sodium levels? Still recovering? :D

That Denial-C9 series washed the salt away  ;)

Still think WFX can be an event-winning team.  :ghost:

YouTube VoD!

I'm asleep during these events and I don't want to watch 20 hour Twitch videos. HCS really needs to step it up and start providing VoD similar to League of Legends LCS.

YouTube VoD!

I'm asleep during these events and I don't want to watch 20 hour Twitch videos. HCS really needs to step it up and start providing VoD similar to League of Legends LCS.

They do put them on The Halo Channel, but yea I agree. Have to try and build the league up and more people are on YT.

Agreed, I was pretty disappointed they never interviewed Lethul(only member from EG who wasn't).

With the trash talk Ryanoob was saying to him on twitter he could have said something pretty funny. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

He said that? Haha

He said that? Haha

He said it in their interview after they beat CLG I think. It might have been after they beat Noble Black, but I'm pretty sure it was after their win against CLG

That Denial-C9 series washed the salt away  ;)

Still think WFX can be an event-winning team.  :ghost:

I agree. I feel like WFX got a little cocky this event. They lost to C9 and Optic, teams that I don't believe they scrimmed that much. I would say both of those losses were upsets given the precedent set by their online performances prior to the event. 

Agreed, I was pretty disappointed they never interviewed Lethul(only member from EG who wasn't).

With the trash talk Ryanoob was saying to him on twitter he could have said something pretty funny. 

Yeah wtf why didn't they interview @@LethuL

One thing I would like to see more of is storylines.

For example, eLevate vs eXcellence.  This series was a sort of big grudge match -- Both SwiftKill and Spartan were previously members of eLevate in Season 1 (SwiftKill was dropped for Spartan, and then Spartan left due to some personality clashes on the team).  This fact was more mentioned in passing than stressed as an important storyline.

The most stress given to the point was halfway through game 2 (and was misrepresented...saying "eLevate dropped Spartan" - he requested to be released)

Storylines build investment in the players and teams.

That investment drives viewership.

While those aren't exactly the top teams (both teams finished 9-12), the storyline could build interest in Spartan (a very likeable guy) for viewers.

To add to the Spartan storyline for Atlanta, after eX were dropped into the loser's bracket by Denial, eXcellence faced Noble Black -- a team Spartan tried out for alongside Ninja, but was ultimately forced to separate from the player he'd been playing a ton of PGL 2v2s with, as Noble Black were only interested in Ninja, and not the untested Spartan.  It was a chance for Spartan to prove Aries and Arkanum wrong and that he deserved to be on the Noble Black roster.

Instead, they focus on Ninja to start the series and simply mention he was on C9 in the past -- then talk about Spartan's performance in the tournament...no mention of their relationship in the off-season and the prospect of the two teaming together for this event.

So, in short: focus more on team and player storylines; give a little more pre/post-game time to discuss potential points of interest about players and their relations with other players/teams, to help the audience get more invested.

• Upvote (+1) 7

they were many more storylines then just that. But thats a good example. I dont know why they stay away from the team changes and drama around them.

they were many more storylines then just that. But thats a good example. I dont know why they stay away from the team changes and drama around them.

Staying away from Drama is a good idea, in my opinion.  You don't want to focus on things like the bickering between Randa and (insert other pro here) or the "regrettable tweet inc" from Ryanoob, but the player histories as far as where they've come from, where they could've been... those are interesting.

I came to the event at the GWCC with my girlfriend. Allow me to outline our experience. This is coming from a spectator pov, I did not compete.

My girlfriend pays attention to my halo habits, the things I say and the people I mention. She was very excited to meet a good buddy of mine Elumnite, since we are both local and hang out but she hadnt gotten to meet him yet. Next after he met us outside we approached the door. We had lunch during Winterfox vs CLG and I was watching the stream. She heard naded having a fit so when we approached the door and he was still going wild she began to get a little interested. She walked in to see Winterfox vs C9 and her eyes got wide. Screens everywhere, casters, computer equipment. Ok, this shit is real she seemed to realize. She looks to the right as we walked in and immediately recognized Heinz and APG. I watch them stream alot, and hey, who wouldnt recognize APG's eyebrows.

First thing she wanted to do was get a shirt. I saw the HCS shirts hanging up and approached the table but no one was selling them. I asked two or three people around the booth and no one knew why they were there. 

Please sell merchandise. I was disappointed as well not to be able to get an IG ATL shirt, or at the very least, an HCS shirt.

Then the hill fiasco started. She was paying attention until then. I was explaining halo and for once she was REALLY fully listening, not just that half blank stare where you know half of it isnt being absorbed. Next thing I know, It's over an hour before the next game is played, she gets tired of sitting on IG, and we are in Atlanta, right next to 420 fest. Guess what she wanted to do now?

I dont know how to tell you to remedy that one though. It was MCC's fault not yours. I just dont know why it took 45 minutes of replays before the restart, then another 20 after the series was over.

Also, it was very difficult to hear the broadcasters in between games, and obviously impossible to hear them during. It would be nice to be able to see and or hear the broadcasters.

Other than those few minor things, it was great. I wish you guys could have wrapped the delay up a little faster though. How can you build traction as a spectator esport when a minor setback causes such a major interuption in the flow of a tournament?

• Upvote (+1) 2

the crowd at ig was fantastic. Every time I fucked up I got an earful from the crowd :D

Lol.

What are pros' opinions on soundproof booths? Do they prefer to not be in one so they can hear the crowd at times and ride that momentum? Similarly for the crowd, I would imagine preferring the players not be in booths so I could hear them if I were watching live at an event.

One thing I would like to see more of is storylines.

For example, eLevate vs eXcellence.  This series was a sort of big grudge match -- Both SwiftKill and Spartan were previously members of eLevate in Season 1 (SwiftKill was dropped for Spartan, and then Spartan left due to some personality clashes on the team).  This fact was more mentioned in passing than stressed as an important storyline.

The most stress given to the point was halfway through game 2 (and was misrepresented...saying "eLevate dropped Spartan" - he requested to be released)

Storylines build investment in the players and teams.

That investment drives viewership.

While those aren't exactly the top teams (both teams finished 9-12), the storyline could build interest in Spartan (a very likeable guy) for viewers.

To add to the Spartan storyline for Atlanta, after eX were dropped into the loser's bracket by Denial, eXcellence faced Noble Black -- a team Spartan tried out for alongside Ninja, but was ultimately forced to separate from the player he'd been playing a ton of PGL 2v2s with, as Noble Black were only interested in Ninja, and not the untested Spartan.  It was a chance for Spartan to prove Aries and Arkanum wrong and that he deserved to be on the Noble Black roster.

Instead, they focus on Ninja to start the series and simply mention he was on C9 in the past -- then talk about Spartan's performance in the tournament...no mention of their relationship in the off-season and the prospect of the two teaming together for this event.

So, in short: focus more on team and player storylines; give a little more pre/post-game time to discuss potential points of interest about players and their relations with other players/teams, to help the audience get more invested.

This this this. I follow the scene enough to know those storylines already and I still wish they would talk about them more. They need to dedicate time before each event writing copy or making video content for this stuff. For viewers who don't follow Halo much, or at least don't follow transactions or drama between events, they need that emotional association during events. That's what holds people's interest.

And it's not like events are lacking in downtime. How about instead of 15 minutes of stock electronica we have the casters talk about this stuff, or show a short biopic of Coby and his relationship with his father and his halo story, or one about Ola's broken pinky and the fact that he broke it punching the ground after a loss last season. They need to turn that into the equivalent of Adrian Peterson returning from a torn ACL. Instead they're just like yay Ola's back after his injury! The halo pro scene has so many low-hanging narrative fruits; pick that shit, HCS.

-All the IG provided gamertags with the names "IG Player XX", a profile download shouldn't take that long, it really sucks for the viewers to watch ex. "IG Player 02 killed IG Player 05".

-Bravo needs to color commentate if he's to cast with Goldenboy.

-Promoting the event before and during the event.

-Player cams instead of mugshots.

-An interviewer who isn't nervous.

-The "same map twice in a row in a series", mix them up.

-More into depth in the casting please instead of just "X is shooting at Y"

-Updates on other series wins(could be limited to the top 8 teams series as the first day would otherwise be bombarded with it), I think one event had them.

And now for things I would greatly enjoy having:

-A talk show when not in a game, where you can invite one or two pros. For example; EG wins WF against Denial, an EG player gets invited to talk about winning that series and the upcoming matchup between C9 and Denial(you can have two monitors in the background displaying ads). You can also have the talk show before the tournament starts talking about predictions, last event, team changes, etc.

And for the love of god, nerf Goldenboy's max shouting volume.

Thank you for the great feedback <3 

I will let the rest of the staff comment on the rest of the list. :) 

The hard thing about player profiles is that it takes about 4 minutes to download the account and some players don't remember their information or do not have the correct maps but this is something I will look into for future IG events I hope everyone enjoyed the switch to the secondary station. :) 

Also did my very best to make sure the map rotation was not one map heavy and unfortunately with all the sequences I came up with ran into a few that were back to back, 3 maps are a little hard to mix up and still keep the tournament balanced :) 

Thank you to everyone that watched this weekend we will continue to improve with all this great feedback.

Live Long and Prosper 

• Upvote (+1) 7