Sign in to follow this  
Proto

Official Iron Games Atlanta Feedback Thread

Another event and yet again I feel like I'm repeating myself about Bravo and Goldenboy...

Bravo and Goldenboy are what we call play by play casters who will tell us what the players in the game have just done in case you missed it by any chance. 

Walshy and Strongside are what we call color casters who will let us know what the players are thinking and what kind of pushes and moves they should be making during games in order to win. 

Having two play by play guys together is terrible.

Having two colour guys together is terrible.

Having one play by play guy with one color guy is PERFECT. Bravo and Walshy or Goldenboy and Strongside works so perfectly because one person will be telling us what's happening and the other person is telling us what SHOULD be happening.

During Iron Gaming Atlanta, Bravo and Goldenboy were only paired for the first series of all three days and that made it more bearable but it is still completely ignoring the issue that a lot of us have offered feedback on in the past.

Oh and @@GoldenboyFTW and @@Bravo - don't take this the wrong way, seriously. You are both great PLAY BY PLAY casters and when paired with a COLOR caster, you guys are the butter on my bread. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Improvements Needed

- Pre-Tournament Promotion: The break from PAX East to this weekend was a little over a month, and that time the promotion for this tournament was really poor. When there is such a long break between events, you need to start promoting early and often to keep that interest rather than have it die out after an event. 

- Halo Twitch Channel Operator: Not sure who was running the Halo twitch channel, but whoever was was writing things basically telling people to leave the stream if they weren't there to watch the tournament. Yea....just not a good idea. It's Twitch during an event. Trolling will occur. Flaming will occur. You cannot control that many people, and just telling people to leave is not a good way to approach it. 

These two things were my main issues. The Halo account should NOT be talking in the Twitch chat, it's completely unprofessional and what they were saying just made things worse.

I kept talking to a lot of people and we all agreed that this tournament was one of the best (other than the Invitational and S1 Finals) in HCS history. Production/Stream quality was fantastic. Iron Gaming and 343 provided a large variety of Graphics, Transitions, Intros, etc. that really impressed me and other spectators. Down time genuinely was not an issue other than when there were internet or game issues. This should be a standard that HCS Indy and S2 Finals are held up to.

Side note that couldn't really be helped, but Casey D's interviews were very... very bad on Friday. Although she improved her camera presence on Saturday/Sunday, I suggest that 343 and other TO's find a more comfortable and practiced interviewer for future streams and competitions.

I also agree with @@Moa's statements about casters. I love @@GoldenboyFTW and @@Bravo, but its a simple formula that needs to be maintained. Having them making announcements for the HCS is fine, and they can cast a few minor series, but for key matches and Grand Finals their duo needs to be split up (have Bravo and Strongside do the Grand Finals, they both work at 343!).

The rest of @@Proto's post is pretty spot on.

Editing in after the tournament is over: Jesus Casey D choked once again. Hire our pretty face @@FrankTheShow and have GBoy do interviews as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

-Would love to see new maps for S2, try and actually test the new ones picked. Maybe implement them for next month.
-Love Walshy and Strongside being added to the casting booth for Iron Gaming, bring them back for PGL/Finals.
-Try and separate @@Bravo and @@GoldenboyFTW, 2 Play by Play casters aren't good for the stream viewer.
-More for @@GoldenboyFTW, but calm down. I had to turn my tv down and I don't even get that excited when the ice cream truck turns up.
-343i needs to promote the tournament beforehand, can't just cram it into the weekend of the event and expect success for viewers.
-Add @@FrankTheShow for player interview for Season 2, can also cast when needed.
-Read the feedback on this forum.

RT's peformed by Halo's  Twitter this weekend.

• HCS/343i Staff - 11
  • Iron Gaming - 5
  • HCS Live Tweets - 5
  • Organizations - 4
  • ESN Halo - 3
  • Pro Players - 2
  • Twitch - 1
  • Fans - 1

Overall, they did about 33 tweets regarding the event in the last 3 days. 60+ tweets/rts promoting the event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can only repeat what has already been said ^, both GB and Bravo are greater casters, even together they're good but they're both BETTER when combo'd with others.

Also please get someone else to do the interviews for future events, no offence meant by this.

Perhaps add 'Grand Finals' or the appropriate series title to the name of the stream instead of just 'Day 1/2' to add hype. Yes the information is displayed on the overlay in-game, but it's quite small and I feel like this would generate more hype/viewers. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

- Halo Twitch Channel Operator: Not sure who was running the Halo twitch channel, but whoever was was writing things basically telling people to leave the stream if they weren't there to watch the tournament. Yea....just not a good idea. It's Twitch during an event. Trolling will occur. Flaming will occur. You cannot control that many people, and just telling people to leave is not a good way to approach it. 

This!  If they want to grow their league, how do they expect to do that when the mod bans everybody and tells people to stop watching?

How is that going to grow their league?  It makes them come off as thin skinned.

my feedback

Rather than tell people to leave just put the chat in slow mode and ban the people who take things too far.

Player cams would be greatttt helps with hype seeing the player get pumped mid game.

Hopefully the forgemaps will be ready soon we need em.

Having two play by play guys together is terrible.

Having two colour guys together is terrible.

I think saying it is terrible is a stretch. I thought Strongside and Walshy combo was really entertaining actually. GB and Bravo was the worst I agree but they still did a good job in my opinion (we've all seen our share of actual "terrible" halo casters over the years). But yeah best to keep it one of each role especially on championship Sunday. For Friday's matches I say mix it up however they want.

the girl doing the interviews has to go

I think that Jessica Goch would be a much better choice for the next event if they prefer that the interviewer is female.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Take five minutes to switch in an analyst commentator from Goldenboy and Bravo doing the intro

Goldenboy and Bravo would be fine together if one took more of a color commentary role

Unify stream graphics, the top teams and score bar looked off compared to the clean lower thirds

Have lore trivia cards to overlay during downtime and between commercial spots to break up repetition

Get different communities to premiere speedrun, tricking, glitching, and lore videos on the stream to bring in new viewers

Establish more frequent, regular streams to the Halo twitch channel to bring in more viewers with things like bracket shows, community nights, and pro team play

Add crowd cam for down time, this gets the crowd involved with wanting to yell, participate, make signs instead of just sitting there

Less pandering to a new audience with casting, allow the map and gametype intros to explain while casters talk about differences in the team's playstyles

More focus on player backgrounds, playstyles, and strategy rather than just generalized statements

Have production team provide casters and interviewers with information on players, teams, and league history to better improve live performance

Hire talent who does their homework

Giveaways are great but mention it less frequently on stream and let social media to the leg work

Don't let an emotional baby ever say things like that to the fans who are watching a stream, if they don't know how Twitch works they shouldn't be in the chat

Fly in Simms

• Upvote (+1) 8

the girl doing the interviews has to go

Yeah there are plenty of people with experience who they could easily hire. For instance @@FrankTheShow. He's quite professional, have you seen his Twitter profile?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you want to keep Casey as an interviewer, invest in a second person with experience to help coach her. Let them switch off for interviews and have the more experienced person help her out to become better.

I think she had some good interviews, so she has potential. She's just lacking experience and having a good mentor to help her out could be beneficial.

• Upvote (+1) 4

@@Snip3down

I like Snipedowns suggestion of getting Celeste to do interviews. She's used to camera pressure and would probably be much more charismatic/fluent. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Audio was mediocre to bad. capture cards where all over the place some with high contrast some to bright. There was no crowd audio. There were no player cams. Fire the girl that did the interviews. Why do we keep down grading from the event before? Every event should have the same production value as the last. You cant go from the quality we got at pax to the stream we had at IG. If 343 are running shit they should all be at the same caliber as the season finally no excuses. 

-All the IG provided gamertags with the names "IG Player XX", a profile download shouldn't take that long, it really sucks for the viewers to watch ex. "IG Player 02 killed IG Player 05".

-Bravo needs to color commentate if he's to cast with Goldenboy.

-Promoting the event before and during the event.

-Player cams instead of mugshots.

-An interviewer who isn't nervous.

-The "same map twice in a row in a series", mix them up.

-More into depth in the casting please instead of just "X is shooting at Y"

-Updates on other series wins(could be limited to the top 8 teams series as the first day would otherwise be bombarded with it), I think one event had them.

And now for things I would greatly enjoy having:

-A talk show when not in a game, where you can invite one or two pros. For example; EG wins WF against Denial, an EG player gets invited to talk about winning that series and the upcoming matchup between C9 and Denial(you can have two monitors in the background displaying ads). You can also have the talk show before the tournament starts talking about predictions, last event, team changes, etc.

And for the love of god, nerf Goldenboy's max shouting volume.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was great tourney overall imo. Guess they couldve done a better job with promo and the commentary teams. Also, I like the irish commentator they had before, I though he was coo, and we need more ghandi. Other than that, it was a great stream and a great tourney.

And that interviewer wasnt too good at all, I dunno, guess it was nerves? I hope she'll get better as in upcoming events.

Honestly, and I'm surprised no one else has said this, but we need to stop this 20 minute break in between each round let alone each match. Play an ad or two then start the match. Please. The breaks kill the momentum so much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Breaks are pretty hard to avoid considering you have one team taking all their stuff away then another coming to setup and get comfortable. It's gonna take 10-15 minutes no matter what. The side station was a great addition for those downtimes but here are some more things I would like to see.

- Player cams are an absolute must. No excuses.

- Players should be brought into the commentating booth between series for more "fun" interviews like they used to do. Just bring them up to hangout and do some colour commentary.

- Create your own videos for the downtime. The community clips are good here and there, but a couple of "behind the scenes" or "a day in the life of ____" videos would be awesome to see. Especially ones surrounding all the team changes and drama that occurred before this event. This not only keeps viewers watching on the downtime, but you'll get a lot more fans of Pro Halo when they get to know these guys. 

- Great job live-tweeting from the Halo account and getting viewers interacting on twitter.

- Need crowd mics. I know this is a problem because of casting echo but maybe just turn the volume down? The people watching live don't need the commentary like the people at home do.

- New maps need to find their way in. 

- Whoever typed those messages from the Halo twitch account needs a swift kick in the ass.

I think we would have had a shot at 15k viewers if it wasn't for the Twitch and MCC/XB1 issues. It's too bad but not the end of the world.