Sign in to follow this  
Bdog

Poll: Do you think ranks will work?

Will the ranks in the MCC work or will 343 fuck up again?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the ranks will work?

343 likes to mess up everything they do, do you guys think ranks will work?

Halo 4's CSR system did not at all work and the "ranked" H2A playlist doesn't work either. I wonder if they'll mess up 3 times. Probably.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nope because knowing 343 it will match you with anyone after like 5 minutes which entirely defeats the point of a ranking system it should be like Halo 3 where it only matches you with people who are the same rank as you.

I'd rather wait a couple minutes if it means we get to have competitive matches..then being matched with noobs/stat padders who will quit whenever die they a couple of times.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think it will work in the sense that you'll have a number/rank next to your name.  As for actively putting you with people around your skill rank.......I dunno about that.  I'm not sure what this games population count is looking like these days, but I'd imagine that would have a serious effect on the amount of people it can pool from.  Which would then result in the system causing you to play against a lot higher or lower ranked players just to get a match going.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it will work in the sense that you'll have a number/rank next to your name.  As for actively putting you with people around your skill rank.......I dunno about that.  I'm not sure what this games population count is looking like these days, but I'd imagine that would have a serious effect on the amount of people it can pool from.  Which would then result in the system causing you to play against a lot higher or lower ranked players just to get a match going.

Is your name Sheldon? Just curious bc in college my buddys gt was shellshock and we won a local H3 tournament together at the dorms.

I assume "work" mean that you move up when you win, down when you lose, and that you are matched with people around your same rank/skill. If that is the basic "work" we are going for... then no.

If "work" means your number goes up when you win and down when you lose, but you just play anyone, like how the "ranked" is working now, then I say maybe. Their fix might just make it worse.

I'll be waiting and hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised. I was really surprised when the last patch came out and things worked amazingly for the first few hours/days, but then all the shit kept getting worse and worse to where we are almost back at day 1 with a lot of the issues half the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ya know..if you want to spread negativity around the Halo community again, why dont you just go somewhere else? Ranks might work, they might not, but STOP saying otherwise. Providing an opinion is fine, but seriously....this forum has gone from excitement for Halos comeback (..yet to come) to people having the mindset of "well...Ive given up! whatever happens will always be bad because..well..343 effs things up!". This is an online community dedicated to the greatness of Halo and discussing what can possibly make the games better, not the opposite. THAT is what I See from this post and many others. Heck, it makes me not want to come here and chat with people because of all the negativity.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 22

I would rather be skeptical than have blind optimism. 

I agree. You have a point, but even having some skepticism is better than being outright negative about something like this. I am not sure the ranks will be something that "save" MCC, but I sure want them to provide meaningful competitiion that we cherished during Halo 2/3. Other than that, I dont go into Halo to rank up anymore...unless a solid ranking system is there to provide lots of good fun and competitive matches. I, like some, go in just to enjoy Halo and wreak noobs that dont know how to play the game.

I want ranks to work properly, but it's hard to believe they will be implemented correctly right away. I anticipate some problems that will delay ranks for other playlists.

I really want them to work 100% though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ya know..if you want to spread negativity around the Halo community again, why dont you just go somewhere else? Ranks might work, they might not, but STOP saying otherwise. Providing an opinion is fine, but seriously....this forum has gone from excitement for Halos comeback (..yet to come) to people having the mindset of "well...Ive given up! whatever happens will always be bad because..well..343 effs things up!". This is an online community dedicated to the greatness of Halo and discussing what can possibly make the games better, not the opposite. THAT is what I See from this post and many others. Heck, it makes me not want to come here and chat with people because of all the negativity.

The negativity isn't the fault of anyone here. While I agree that it may not be particularly productive, the exhaustion gets harder and harder to avoid. Some of the members on this forum, myself included, have been saying the same things for over a decade. To many of us the incompetence is seemingly endless at this point. We still love the game and that's why we're here, but that doesn't change the facts. I purchased an Xbox One specifically to play a game that was practically unplayable for months and still hasn't delivered everything that was promised on day 1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is your name Sheldon? Just curious bc in college my buddys gt was shellshock and we won a local H3 tournament together at the dorms.

No, must be another Shellshock.  Sorry man.  :(

Well, I'm pretty sure in H2A Anniversary currently, level 50's can get matched up with people who are level 1 to 5, so the ranking doesn't make any sense. They need a lot of overhaul.

I also don't get why they would pick "Team Slayer" for a ranking system. It has like 4 or 5 games in the playlist, so a team's actual H1 skill would be far different than their H3 skill. They should've added ranks to H2 Hardcore or H2 Classic. It's hard to have any faith in 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

imo the population isnt big enough to make ranks working as intended

This.

The only viable solution is for 343 to lower the search restrictions, widening the range of skill/players that X skill can match (instead of 50s being able to match 40s for instance, it might go all the way down to 30, 20 or even not be there at all if Matchmaking takes too long.

However, if that's how it's going to be, then the ranking system won't be able to provide competitive matches (primary objective), and won't be a good representation of skill (secondary objective) as a good part of it will be up to randomness and who happens to match noobs more often. For the same reason, the ranking system could use a system that calculates a static amount of wins rather than who you play against and their level, turning it into a pseudo progression system that takes into account how often you win. Imagine if a level 30 matches a full team of level 50s and won to go up 10+ levels or something dumb. Can't have that happening...

Factoring all of this, as much I want to be positive about it, I fail to see how it can work as we expect from Halo ranks.

That or 343'll make me eat my words, make it amazing and skillful... but matches will take up to hours at times because there isn't enough active players... just like Reach Arena.

Some things never change I guess.

When they say things like add fixes to ranks, what could those fixes be? Only thing in my head is party restrictions and skill search parameters. Maybe matching you with the player found player icon to avoid ditching before the game. Otherwise I have no idea.

You sir are correct 

Less than 25K pop divided by 11 playlists = 2.3K per playlist on average and rounded up. Good luck boys. 

So now we're complaining about ranks being added?

I'm as skeptical as some of you guys are, but let's be real and quit beating around the bush; Nothing 343 can do will make you guys happy. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Nothing 343 can do will make you guys happy.

I'll be pretty happy if we get that postmortem from Frankie.

But seriously the reason why a lot of us aren't happy is because it's just too late now. I understand there were more serious problems to address but ranks aren't going to do much with the population.

I like the ideas of Ranks, one of the few incentives that keep me playing. I dont think the issue is the ranks like someone stated earlier, its the population. Not enough ppl. 343 has to do something outside of the game like community incentives or giveaways or something. I dunno, I dont have the answers, honestly.

Maybe because they keep fucking everything up?

That's not the nature of the "complaining" I'm talking about, nor is my post in regards to any of their past fuck ups. 

Read it over again.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know what people are on, there are plenty of people for ranks. hell halo 3 ranks still work in most playlists and halo3 has a even more complicated system