*added grenade tricks*   Hey there! This is something I spent a long time on right around the time MCC released. I had hoped to finish this and pass this along to help anyone interested in learning the depth of the spawn system. However, due to the massive amount of issues that MCC is plagued with, I lost interest in playing and lost motivation to finish this post. Unfortunately, the same happened to my "Adopt a noob" thread. It was difficult helping people when I can't even play the game months after release. Regardless, here's the incomplete and probably permanently unfinished post.   I'd like to thank @@Mintograde, @@chaosTheory, and @insidious, as 99% of the work was already done by them, and maybe others I am missing.     Halo CE Spawn System   If you already know the spawn system, please go to www.HaloSpawns.com and proceed to test all your tricks/knowledge out. It’s very cool to see the specific percent for each spawn point depending on where you are. Arguably the best site ever made. Much respect and love to @@Mintograde who put this together!   This work is heavily cited from others, specifically ChaosTheory, Insidious, and Missingno. Anything additional is just emphasis I provided in an attempt to make it easier for players who are very new to Halo CE. For the record, Halo CE is played under 1v1 settings, 2v2 settings, 3v3/4v4 settings, or Free for All settings. The depth of the spawn system is really only exploited/manipulated through playing under 2v2 settings, which is objectively the deepest game mode from a meta standpoint. This entire portion of the post will be dedicated to understanding the 2v2 spawn system. By understanding the spawn system for 2v2s, you’ll understand how it works in general for other gamemodes, and why this depth doesn’t apply to any other setting In halo CE.   There is a lot to this system, and I will hope to cover a couple of topics such as how the spawn system works, how it’s influenced, how you can influence it, and the different types of spawn manipulation methods/examples that have been found. While I cover that, note that besides “regular spawns”, there are “Random Spawns”, “Forced Spawns”, and even a phenomenon called “Random Randoms” for lack of a better term. I’ll even include some unproven theories towards the end that deserve to be mentioned. For now, lets start by breaking down how the spawn system works.   Overall, The simplicity and predictability of Halo: CE's spawn system makes it a powerful tool for skilled players. Players can place a teammate safely out of harm's way, or they can turn the tide of a losing battle with an aggressive spawn. - @@Mintograde   Concept:     “The system is pure logic, based entirely on a distance measurement, and then a percentage depending on certain criteria and variables. When a player dies, his next spawn will be in the point closest to his living partner. If there are no spawn points within a specific distance (the game cannot find a spawn close enough), it gives him a random spawn. Using the oddball, we were able to find the exact distance. That magical number is 17.5 meters.” – @@chaosTheory   In other words, the spawn system for 2v2’s is pure proximity based. You will always spawn your partner at a spawn point that is within the 17.5 meters, unless you are greater than 17.5 meters from a spawn, or sit and block the only single spawn location within that 17.5 meter range. It’s not a simple concept to grasp through text, and it will definitely be easier to visualize.       “We did still have a question - whether or not this distance was static, the same in every map.. Level geometry (walls, ramps, barriers) made it difficult to determine distances, vertically and horizontally. But through testing, we proved that it was not only static, and consistent in each map, but it also goes in every single direction. There are two methods to visualizing this. You can imagine every spawn point on the map as having its own zone, a bubble around it that when penetrated by MC, his partner can spawn there. Or, you can imagine a giant bubble around the living MC, and if that bubble touches any spawn points, his partner can or will spawn there.   For the sake of explanation, I believe it's better to think of each spawn as having a perfect sphere around it. And things start getting tricky when those bubbles overlap. insidious scaled the bubble to the proper size, and as you can see, it is HUGE.   The game doesnt see it as bubbles and zones, it's simply measuring distance. At approximately 1 second before the player spawns (the count starts at Rejoin in 4 so, for normal 5sec spawn games its somewhere between "Rejoin in 1" and "Rejoin in 0"), Halo begins a search for spawn points within 17.5 meters of the living player. It finds all that meet the criteria, assigns each a percentage based on proximity, and picks its favorite. Then determines a second choice (usually the next highest percent), which is to be used if choice #1 is blocked. Usually, this second choice is another close spawn, because zones overlap everywhere, but can and will be a random if the first choice is the only spawn in the map within the magic distance. If you are dead center between two points, it's pretty much a dice roll. However, if you are even 1 or 2m closer to one than another, the chances increase rather drastically.”  - @@chaosTheory   As you can see, the game does indeed determine a lot of factors for spawns despite having less weighted options like line of sight, or grenades that effect spawns. (Neither effect the percentage in Halo CE)   Before I try to expand on this anymore, let me provide some of the pictures that are in the thread on the MLG/Gamebattles forums.     This picture showcases the spawn zone in the shape of a perfect sphere. This 17.5 meter distance travels in every possible direction thus giving it the sphere shape. To break it down, each spawn point on every single map is consistent, in shape and size. Each spawn point has it’s own zone/sphere, even if two points are right next to each other. When that is the case, the two spawn spheres will overlap, and the spawns will then become a percentage factor and will favor the spawn you are closer to. Just note that even if the game favors a spawn for a 70/30 percentage (fake numbers for the sake of this example) you may find yourself spawning at the “30%” spawn more frequently than you’d expect, and if you died 10 times in the same location you wouldn’t always get an even split of 7 spawns at one location and 3 at the other.   A good friend of mine, @@BFir3 explains it a bit better.   “Also, you need to understand that the game is still only assigning each of the spawn points within range of the living teammate a percentage. While these percentages are usually drastically different (and thus lead to almost certain spawn locations), there is always the possibility that the partner will spawn at a point that has been assigned a 2% (or other low percentage). Furthermore, if the living player is almost equally close to two or more points, the percentage of spawning in the same spot over and over again diminishes - although it's still quite high provided the living teammate is about 1-2m difference from the two points.”

He goes on to say this “Basically, the only way you can be sure that your partner will continue to spawn in the same place over and over again is if there is only one spawn point located within the "17.5m sphere" of yourself at the time Halo calculates the percentages for the points AND if there is no enemy within closer than 12m to that spawn point.”   Which @@chaosTheory points out is close but not true. This statement is correct except it is not a guarantee of 100%, but more so a 99% chance due to the “random random” phenomenon which I explain later.     FORCED SPAWNS: The act of blocking a spawn point within a spawn zone in order to force a teammate to spawn at the better spawn point in the same spawn zone.   There are plenty of forced spawns in the games, and I’ll touch base on a common one located on Hang Em High. Walshy just recently did a video on this, and it’s great because coincidentally he showcases both a “random random” spawn, and a “forced spawn”. This photo provides a better example of how big these spawn zone/spheres really are. These are merely 3 of the many spawn points on Hang Em High, however the spawn sphere I want you to focus on is the one on the top left of hand side.   It’s easier to understand through @@Mintograde’s photo of the location:     This sphere only contains two spawn points. The first spawn is in the very corner underneath the catwalks that lead to shotty tunnels. The other spawn location is above shotgun tunnels by the pillar near blue pistol. If you are on the bottom of the map, an extremely high percent of the time your teammate will spawn in that bottom corner. That is a horrible location to be stuck in, and creates a perpetual advantage for the other team. However, you can break this routine. Standing in the corner on the specific spawn point while your teammate is dead blocks the only bottom floor spawn that’s within the sphere. This leaves the only remaining spawn point open, which is the top spawn. This is extremely consistent. The only variable that can take place is the occasional “Random random” spawn. I wanted to save it for later, but figured I’d mention it specifically due to Walshy’s video linked here:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XIHMtrzdjo     Random Randoms: - A random spawn, in a random location, for random reasons. Very rare and impossible to forcibly replicate except with luck.   Now the intended point of this video is to showcase the forced spawn I just described on Hang Em High. However I include it under random randoms because it also provides a very good example of how “random randoms” can occur, well, randomly. The how is still undecided, and there are a couple of theories regarding random randoms. This area is less important, as you really have no control over these. I still feel it’s important to list all the variables within the spawn system.   Pay attention around the 50 second mark of the video. He starts to move over to the location of that spawn zone I mention. He kills Ace, and spawns him in the bottom corner like he’s supposed to. This will happen a high majority of the time, say 90% as an example.   Once he goes to kill him again, he turns to the camera to state that Ace will spawn there EVERY time. You’ll see he doesn’t spawn there, and instead gets a “random random” spawn for “unknown” reasons. These “random randoms” don’t happen often, or have a specific algorithm in place that allows us to figure out when and why they happen. I state the that the reasons are “unknown” because there is no way for us to replicate or control these random randoms to any real extent.   @Insidious, one of the most knowledgeable Halo CE guys out there states “I maintain the opinion that it is a static value (something like 5%) which simply yields a vast variety of results. this is the case with anything related to probability or percentages... there is no need for complicated code in order to see complex results. i'm getting reports from chase of interesting results as well, all of which point toward my simplified percentage theory ”   What does this mean? It means that you always have a small percent chance that a random can occur. The percentage is unknown, and may be lower than 5%, but I can’t base that off any solid evidence other than personal use of Halospawns.com   @@chaosTheory at time time stated he believed there was more to the system than that, or that the system worked in a completely different way.   User @@Mintograde has dug even deeper to find out more about the percentages and weight of “random random” spawns.   “I did a lot of testing of random randoms, and I firmly believe the chance of a random random increases as you get farther from a spawn.If you’re within range of multiple spawn points, the random random percent goes down drastically.” - @@Mintograde   We’re about to get real technical here, so bare with me. I am not the one who figured this out and it’s honestly a bit complicated to me still. As if I couldn’t tag @@Mintograde enough, this is what he figured out…   “The curve I used on HaloSpawn.com is based on testing multiple distances from a single spawn point.     This data is form over hundreds of deaths, shown here.   Tick Mark         Random Count         Pistol Count 2.5                    49                             0 2.75                  137                           113 3                       82                             168 3.5                    58                             192 4                       37                             213 5                       30                             220   If you’re within range of multiple spawn points, the random random percent goes down drastically. This was a lot harder to model mathematically, which is why the random random percent seems higher on Halospawns than you see here: This photo showcases the same test for random randoms but done in a location where multiple spawn points were. While it may be confusing to look at, just notice that the “other” spawns would be the “random randoms”, and those happen at a less frequent rate than compared to the data for the single spawn point data.         Random Spawns – A method of spawning your partner in a completely random location on the map by standing a distance greater than 17.5 meters away from a spawn point.   That’s what most of you were here for right? This will have to be a work in progress..   There are two different ways you can give a random spawn. I guess three really, but the “random random” doesn’t count since you can’t control them like the other two.   The first method is to be more than 17.5 meters away from any spawn point. An example of that would be a pretty big portion of bottom middle on Hang Em High. Unless you’re by any of the ramps, too close to camo or shottys the whole area has no spawn points. It’s also not an ideal spot to be to random your teammate. I personally try to stand under snipe against the wall for cover.