Edain

Halo Spawns-A Guide to CE Spawn System

For example, things like doing the red2 zyos jump at the right moment gets him to spawn in front of you on bridge pretty often.

These things are more of a hunch/intuition, rather than some experimental stuff, but doing them over and over again and you start figurine out the optimal positions to be in either because you get a high probability of them spawning somewhere in your line of sight or for some odd reason because particular spawns tend to happen pretty often when moving into certain positions on the map.

I just assumed it had something to do with enemy influence, but it's only something I could do on pris, so it must be due to the close proximity of all the spawns which allows for these patterns to emerge.

Yo I got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you.

Nothing Mudkip, pay no mind.  A lot of the CE guys have known about Mintograde's site for a while, and might struggle to see outside our bubble from other people's perspective.  Thank you for posting this, as I'm sure FAR less Halo players on this site know about it than we assume.  We should be doing our part to share this site around the internet, especially in misinformed places like Reddit and Waypoint where it's common to see people complaining about CE spawns.

I see. 

Nothing Mudkip, pay no mind.  A lot of the CE guys have known about Mintograde's site for a while, and might struggle to see outside our bubble from other people's perspective.  Thank you for posting this, as I'm sure FAR less Halo players on this site know about it than we assume.  We should be doing our part to share this site around the internet, especially in misinformed places like Reddit and Waypoint where it's common to see people complaining about CE spawns.

Just FYI I was sincere in my comment. I thought this was some elaborate troll thread at first just 'cause I've seen tons of people rec his site on this forum and I haven't even been here for very long, not to mention Relyx has the site in his sig. I just assumed everyone here knew about it. I know most people haven't outside of TB though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there a way to look at it in terms of the negative influence an enemy has on spawns and the consequent spawn probabilities for the enemy?

I say this because on pris 1v1, I've been able to get some movement patterns that correlate pretty well with where they spawn. It'd be cool to do this with this app to optimize the best positioning when the opponent is spawning for example

Sorry dude, you don't know what you're talking about.  All spawns in 1v1's are randoms.  There is no way to force someone to spawn in a specific location, or even an area in a 1v1.  If you're convinced of your theory, come back with a lot of statistics.

Sorry dude, you don't know what you're talking about.  All spawns in 1v1's are randoms.  There is no way to force someone to spawn in a specific location, or even an area in a 1v1.  If you're convinced of your theory, come back with a lot of statistics.

Bah, I don't know what I'm talking about? I've played this game since it came out and have probably ran more 1v1s on that map than anybody in the world. Save the condescending shit for another time - everybody knows and nobody has denied that they are random.

I've said that from experience I've felt that some spawns come up more, so I would prenade or look there out of intuition. Maybe all I'm seeing is confirmation bias. But the more rational explanation is due to the enemy influence on such a small map.

Which is why I asked Missingo if he could put up the option to see enemy influence on his site.

I've discussed this before with him and other people in the community. Everybody basically denies it, but idgaf.

I don't think its enemy influence. I think it is just like you said that some spawns are more likely than others. Until someone does some tests and backs its up with some statistics. Its all just talk.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think its enemy influence. I think it is just like you said that some spawns are more likely than others. Until someone does some tests and backs its up with some statistics. Its all just talk.

agreed

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cant navigate the maps.

On another note, it seems that he has a very high precision (0.01, or 1% precision) on his figures. How can he be so precise? Does he have the actual code to study?

This is what happened with Halo: Reach, people were telling everyone that they knew how the spawn system worked. It was confusing ,because they were 100% wrong about 90+% everything they said. But they sounded and presented their information like they were in the "know".

Then we heard from a Bungie employee, and all was good again...

Not saying he is way off, but really can you make sense of it and does his figures really sound reasonable?? They look so precise that they shout "suspect!"

If only he did the right thing and present his analysis in detail for peer review. But then we are talking high school age???? That sort of concept isn't introduced until post grad level...

Bah, I don't know what I'm talking about? I've played this game since it came out and have probably ran more 1v1s on that map than anybody in the world. Save the condescending shit for another time - everybody knows and nobody has denied that they are random.

I've said that from experience I've felt that some spawns come up more, so I would prenade or look there out of intuition. Maybe all I'm seeing is confirmation bias. But the more rational explanation is due to the enemy influence on such a small map.

Which is why I asked Missingo if he could put up the option to see enemy influence on his site.

I've discussed this before with him and other people in the community. Everybody basically denies it, but idgaf.

This is exactly what I was talking about above. People would see things and say, "ah this is how the spawn system worked." But it wouldn't work 100% of the time the way they said it would and that was a clue they were wrong, but they would never admit it.

Stats mean very little. I mean VERY little. When I did my analysis on H4 spawning, I got lucky. I looked at very details stats in very controlled experiments, and I was wrong on only one thing. Someone at CertainAffinity told me I had very little left to cover, but to this day I have no idea what other influences existed to cover (and they wouldn't tell me, because it is 343's IP, not theirs). But the schedule of weights could have been much different such that no analysis would have been possible.

Another possibility is imminent danger, or death influence, or just plain bad random generator for random spawning. I don't know. But without code in hand or an employee answering our questions, neither do any of us.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The actual percentages are not as important as the idea they are conveying. The whole point of the website is to show, visually, that players are more likely to spawn close to a teammate. Showing an increasing or decreasing number is a simple way of showing this. No, I don't have access to CE's source code, so yes, the values are approximations. That being said, I made every effort to get the approximations to closely mirror what happens in-game. This meant a lot of time spawning and dying, some of which can be seen in the images Teapot posted on the previous page.

I'm not magically pulling this out of thin air, either. It's been discussed to death over the years (see this thread, for instance). I'm just trying to present the results of those discussions (after verifying through testing) in a way that may be easier to grasp for visual learners.

I'd love to see the actual spawn algorithm Bungie implemented - it's guaranteed to be more elegant than what I came up with. However, I haven't seen any examples of "weird spawns" that would suggest we've missed something in our collective understanding of the spawn system.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The actual percentages are not as important as the idea they are conveying. The whole point of the website is to show, visually, that players are more likely to spawn close to a teammate. Showing an increasing or decreasing number is a simple way of showing this. No, I don't have access to CE's source code, so yes, the values are approximations. That being said, I made every effort to get the approximations to closely mirror what happens in-game. This meant a lot of time spawning and dying, some of which can be seen in the images Teapot posted on the previous page.

I'm not magically pulling this out of thin air, either. It's been discussed to death over the years (see this thread, for instance). I'm just trying to present the results of those discussions (after verifying through testing) in a way that may be easier to grasp for visual learners.

I'd love to see the actual spawn algorithm Bungie implemented - it's guaranteed to be more elegant than what I came up with. However, I haven't seen any examples of "weird spawns" that would suggest we've missed something in our collective understanding of the spawn system.

I think there is some truth to what both of you are saying. For all intents and purposes, the numbers at least illustrate the relative chances of spawning in those positions and, regardless, when you've played the game enough, it's not like you're actively figuring this stuff out, you just know where they're likely going to spawn.

However, until we have actual formulas in hand, let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we've perfectly characterized the system.

I mean a decade ago, we were talking about cylinders not spheres of influence. There's still some things left to be figured out and as @@MrGreenWithAGun said, we don't even know how the "random calculator" works...

That site is amazing. Nice job.