Sign in to follow this  
Cadillac

If you were in charge of Halo

I'd start with communicating with fans enough to make them aware about stuff like... how an entire new game is in the works, instead of hiding it because the default experience has a good chance to turn into a very questionable experience.

It's like 343 is ashamed of their own products when it's a game. Books, movies, figures, legos, no problem. Games, let's just not talk about it.

However if I had to make a Halo game... I'd build upon the Halo 3 model of implementing major features that don't have a direct impact on the in-game experience, (E.G. Forge or Theater). Improve Theater to allow for spec mode, up to 16 people (or AT LEAST 8) at once, add a custom game finder, File Browser, File Share with a thumbnail feature like H3, a progression system like H3 had and @@Avenger described (skill x experienced tied, double EXP, etc.) except I'd change some things.

The level system would be 1 to 100 instead of 1 to 50, and would be a bit tougher than how H3 measured it instead of just being numbers twice as big. The amount of wins needed for equivalent progression to what it was in H3 would be 1.33 or 1.5 times greater, requiring more consistency and giving a better numerical representation of how consistent someone is at higher levels instead of having a bunch of 50s/max rank. Of course, the progression ranks would be re-tiered (Lieutenant requiring 15 instead of 10, Captain 25, Major 40, Commander 50, Colonel 60, Brigadier 70, General 85, and 100 could be the Halo symbol like in H2, no idea what it'd be called). The EXP tiers to grade up would be kept close to what it was, though the max rank should require more than 5000 EXP.

EXP system the same as what it was in H3, it was the perfect incentive to grind and motivate winning more than being selfish and statting. -1 for DNF, temp bans for people who get betrayal booted a lot, and longer bans for people who leave turbo controllers searching. Double EXP weekends every single weekend,1 or 2 of them being ranked per month. 

I'd also add the very obvious stuff like custom button layouts, trigger/bumper/stick flipping, vibration control, FOV sliders, make sure splitscreen works no matter what costs, deeper armor customization (stuff like adding patterns, stripes, decals, etc. wherever you want), color wheels, custom emblems, armor/weapon/vehicle skin microtransactions (gotta get M$ dem bucks), and I'm positive it would make people content with how much they can customize their characters, which covers the #immersion part. 

Game mechanics would be kept simple enough. AR/pistol start, pistol would be the same one as H3 ODST with no spread, requiring 4 shots (bleedthrough headshot) to kill, RoF would be capped at 0.9 seconds to kill if you spam and miss nothing. Would have predictable recoil to limit spamming at range, while keeping it manageable for people who bother to learn it. Movement similar to H2, perhaps even faster base run like Halo Online has, more reactive crouching to allow people to crouch easily while moving and mix it up while strafing, short hop by crouching first then jumping, and still spring jump by jumping as soon as you release crouch. A reactive reloading mechanic would be implemented so YY becomes obselete, BXB would return as a melee combo. New players would be made aware of this tech would in-game guides or tips/hints at the loading and searching screens.

I dunno I'm going back over all of this and I'm just overflowed with ideas to improve the game without hurting its core and turning it into something different... it appears to be so simple to me and it saddens me it appears to be the exact opposite of stuff 343 has in mind. I get that not everyone would be interested in this specific kind of experience, but I think it would remain true to what Halo means to people while adding new stuff that refreshes what the game was like in the previous iteration. 

Despite its flaws, to me, Halo 3 was the last true Halo experience. I loved Reach, but it didn't bring out the "grind first, ask questions later" mindset that Halo 3 brought in me. I always found myself questioning X or Y in-game. It wasn't a core Arena experience, it was an hybrid squad shooter with classes on maps that TRIED to be small despite fitting in a Campaign environment. Halo 3 had a bad BR, frustrating melees, was full of lag, but the game managed to make sense and keep a flow and vibe that future games didn't have. It's the experience that can be the most easily improved with modern tech and hindsight, and that's what I would build upon if I was in charge and had to make a Halo game.

But I guess we're stuck with Halo Online when it comes to building upon Halo 3...

• Upvote (+1) 3

What do you think have been the biggest miscues for Halo as a franchise? What do you believe should be the primary focus? How would you allocate development resources? 

Basically, you've just been hired to lead the development of the next Halo and you've been given total control. You have just called a meeting with the entire team at 343. What do you tell them?

If someone is hired to lead the development of halo, the best thing they could do is find Hardy Lebel and Alex Seriopian, give them full control, sit back and watch the success.   Anything else will result in broken games like MCC.

1. "THERE IS A CANCEROUS CELL AMONGST US THAT HAS BASTARDIZED THIS SERIES TO THE POINT WHERE IT IS NO LONGER EVEN RECOGNIZABLE SO WITH THAT SAID KEVIN FRANKLIN YOU ARE FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2. after that hire a lead multiplayer designer with a HISTORY of success

All other major MM problems should be resolved if steps 1 and 2 are done correctly 

I would immerse the franchise's fanbase even further with MLG codes that are only available on Mtn.Dew, and Doritos.

The only problem I see is the view that it was ever broken or lacking.

I'm not sure that was the case. Sequels can be tough for a developer to appease everyone. It's even more difficult when the first iteration is really really good. Many people view Halo CE as basically perfect. Several people in this thread have stated things along the lines of, "make Halo CE with more maps."

It's the same issue that great bands face after an amazing debut. How could The Strokes follow up Is This It? How could the Killers beat Hot Fuss? If they make the same album then critics will say that the new album isn't different enough and that they played it safe. Maybe critics will call them a one trick pony. If they go in a new direction then nostalgia comes into play and no matter how good the new stuff is, they're almost always compared unfavorably to their earlier work.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure that they really viewed the previous titles as broken or lacking but they were still faced with the task of moving forward. That said, I still agree with you. I absolutely think they just changed things for the sake of changing them. Most of the time it seems like they put very little into considering how those changes would affect the game or if there was any reason to make the change at all. Although small, a good example is changing from time to points in Halo: Reach. Honestly, why? Why play KotH to a certain number of points instead of minutes? In every game they changed small things like waypoint indicators and larger things like weapon spawn system with little regard to if it made the game better or not. 

-Use the pro team to help build a base competitive and balanced game to compete with CS:GO, take the good things from that game and add it on to the traditional halo playstyle, add new sandbox weapons etc to get people into it, weapon skins you earn, spectator mode,dedicated servers and have a good ranking system and a good social matchmaking system.
-Separate teams to work on campaign and multiplayer, immersion is not my excuse for multiplayer, balance is, people will adapt.

-Closed beta to pro teams and orgs.

-Public pre release tournament of it to get the people excited

-Open beta and ask for feedback

-Change the things that are causing major strife and rebalance accordingly

-Release
-Update frequently, assign team to handle feedback.

-Constantly improve, not just move on to the next thing.

I love halo so id want to make a game that old halo players would enjoy, as well as new comers, the best part about halo that i loved was that it was fair and seemed the best player always won individual battles, ranked experience and social experience will keep players if the game is fun.

and jesus if you dont think you can appease the public with another sequel make a new game 

I'd turn halo into a religion and make halo elementary schools where we brain wash people to buy Microsoft and xbox products only

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have a look at Halo CE, 2 and 3. Do that. Have a gander at Halo Reach and Halo 4, don't do that. 

End the franchise. Because people who think H2 is a utopia that they claim exist have to complain about everything that isn't like H2. In other words, these kids:

In all seriousness, I would implement changes that have a positive feedback, and each installment would have a 4-6 development cycle.

I'm not sure that was the case. Sequels can be tough for a developer to appease everyone. It's even more difficult when the first iteration is really really good. Many people view Halo CE as basically perfect. Several people in this thread have stated things along the lines of, "make Halo CE with more maps."

It's the same issue that great bands face after an amazing debut. How could The Strokes follow up Is This It? How could the Killers beat Hot Fuss? If they make the same album then critics will say that the new album isn't different enough and that they played it safe. Maybe critics will call them a one trick pony. If they go in a new direction then nostalgia comes into play and no matter how good the new stuff is, they're almost always compared unfavorably to their earlier work.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure that they really viewed the previous titles as broken or lacking but they were still faced with the task of moving forward. That said, I still agree with you. I absolutely think they just changed things for the sake of changing them. Most of the time it seems like they put very little into considering how those changes would affect the game or if there was any reason to make the change at all. Although small, a good example is changing from time to points in Halo: Reach. Honestly, why? Why play KotH to a certain number of points instead of minutes? In every game they changed small things like waypoint indicators and larger things like weapon spawn system with little regard to if it made the game better or not.

They clearly saw halo as broken. They clearly never saw it for the legend it is. They saw CoD and thought halo was deficient, falling behind, needing to evolve- because it wasn't good enough any more - it was all of the sudden broken in comparison to other games.

Do you think halo is anything like other games? I certainly do not. Their thinking that halo is just another shooter shows me they don't really understand halo.

have projectiles instead of hitscan.

This is what I would do, interested to see what the rest of you want in your perfect Halo.

Yey, bring back the skillgap for aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would promise all of you a game I couldn't deliver, collect millions of dollars from you idiots and dipset.

I'd cancel campaign and put all resources into making quality multiplayer and an abundance of high quality maps.

I'd hire Hardy LeBel to take map design lead.

I'd promote @Ghostayame to gametype creator, and weight his input to gameplay design heavily.

I'd hire about 5 of the most on-to-it Beyond members to help make gameplay decisions.

I'd remove sprint, and ground pound cos GIMMICKS AIN'T GOT NO HOME HERE!

and I'd add the X-cancel glitch from H2 but have an autoaim removal function for 1 second after pressing it to make BXR more skill-requiring, and would change the BR to single-shot like in the E3 trailer

I would take a look at Halo 3/previous and build off of that. I would stress to people the line "Just because we can, does not mean we should." What that means is try to balance the whole immersion idea with what is best from a gameplay standpoint.

They clearly saw halo as broken. They clearly never saw it for the legend it is. They saw CoD and thought halo was deficient, falling behind, needing to evolve- because it wasn't good enough any more - it was all of the sudden broken in comparison to other games.

Do you think halo is anything like other games? I certainly do not. Their thinking that halo is just another shooter shows me they don't really understand halo.

I think we're talking about two different points in the series. I was talking about more from the perspective of the entire franchise. I certainly don't think that Halo 2 or Halo 3 were made trying to mimic CoD or because the previous installments were seen as broken. I'm now assuming that when you say "they" you're referring more specifically to 343 and Halo 4?

Looking more specifically at that time frame, I can see your point, but I'm not sure there's enough evidence to really conclude that they saw it as broken. They were still tasked with moving Halo into the future. They could have simply remade Reach or reverted back to the trilogy, but as I said all people creating art (in whatever form) typically face a great deal of criticism when they don't come with something fresh.

I don't fault them for making changes and trying to do new things with the series. That's part of creating art. Sometimes the artist fails and even that is fine. It happens. I'm just annoyed by the seemingly complete lack of thoughtfulness for the changes that have been made over the years. Mimicking CoD just seems like the direction for an uninspired team that's only concerned with selling more copies. The stupid thing is that it's like they don't realize that Halo is a blockbuster and is almost guaranteed to sell well regardless and that while gimmicks can be effective for selling a game it rarely beats actual quality.

I'd cancel campaign and put all resources into making quality multiplayer and an abundance of high quality maps.

I'd hire Hardy LeBel to take map design lead.

I'd promote @Ghostayame to gametype creator, and weight his input to gameplay design heavily.

I'd hire about 5 of the most on-to-it Beyond members to help make gameplay decisions.

I'd remove sprint, and ground pound cos GIMMICKS AIN'T GOT NO HOME HERE!

and I'd add the X-cancel glitch from H2 but have an autoaim removal function for 1 second after pressing it to make BXR more skill-requiring, and would change the BR to single-shot like in the E3 trailer

Those are some pretty drastic decisions. Cancel campaign entirely? I'm with you on the focus on multiplayer but that may be taking things a bit too far. I'm all for creating a good competitive game but campaign is an absolute must. Leaving out campaign would kill review scores and alienate a large portion of the fan base. Sales would almost undoubtedly be hurt. While I'm all for a great competitive game, it's tough for a game to succeed competitively if there's not a large enough following. As great as Shadowrun is, it's a game that we will never see fully fleshed out through tough competition because of its lack of commercial success. You have to admit that removing campaign is very risky in this regard.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hire cT and let him run the show.

Sit back and smile for making the easiest best decision in game industry.

Also introduce new side kick for master chief- the most interesting halo player ever.