KurtiZ

Other than nostalgia, why do people like Halo 3?

This may seem like a crazy idea sherlock, but maybe a shot of yours didn't register.

huh? Weird considering it is on splitscreen. It's almost like the BR chooses a random number of degrees to deflect the bullets; thereby causing randomness to leak into gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I like Halo 3 because it feels very complete.

-Great spawning system (predictable and controllable) Halo CE/2's systems feel very dated to non-hardcore players.

-Great weapon spawning system (In MLG)

-Every weapon used in competitive is balanced.

-Largest aiming skill gap of the series, especially with BR and Snipe.

-IMO the prettiest Halo game ever created.

-Best medal system/announcer of the series.

-Iconic maps such as Guardian, Heretic, Construct, Narrows, etc.

-You can view films after games, something I love doing.

Its essentially the most "up to date" Halo game that still plays like Halo. Its the most recent "good" Halo game. Halo CE and 2 are amazing games, but they definitely feel dated and the graphics don't really hold up anymore. To a casual person. things like graphics do matter and Halo 3 feels like it could have been released today. Halo 3's physics and overall gameplay just feel like a recent game (In a good way) compared to how CE and 2 play. Polished and complete. Again, you have to look at it from a non-hardcore fanatic perspective.

As for why most people in MM vote for it, its because most people still playing Halo started in H3. CE and 2 are also more "hardcore" and H3 is obviously more fun for casual play. I'd argue though that with correct settings, Halo 3 is just as competitive as H2.

Say what you will about the BR, but in my experience shot registration has been amazing on MCC, save for a few shitty hosts. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

You guys are so defensive that you put words in my mouth. All I have done is stated that I didn't understand something, and asked a question about it. 6 pages in an the question hasn't properly been answered, at least not in a gameplay sense - which is the part I'm really after. Instead I've been insulted, falsly accused, negged multiple times, and asked why I even bothered to make a thread discussing Halo on a Halo forum (wut?).

Also,

Sure the game had he spread but once you learn how to use it well it adds a skill gap

No way does spread add to the skill gap. Leading adds to the skillgap in Halo 3, as well as the sluggish aiming. While the sluggish aiming/aim accleration was thoroughly frustrating and unneccessary, it did make aiming harder and did contribute to the h3 shooting skill gap. But dont ever credit randomness.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

huh? Weird considering it is on splitscreen.

Shots don't register on LAN. Whether or not a bullet will register is determined by an rng, just like the BR's spread.

Just another one of halo 3's fallacies.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You guys are so defensive that you put words in my mouth. All I have done is stated that I didn't understand something, and asked a question about it. 6 pages in an the question has n't properly been answered, at least not in a gameplay sense - which is the part I'm really after. Instead I've been insulted, falsly accused, negged multiple times, and asked why I even bothered to make a thread discussing Halo on a Halo forum (wut?).

Also,

No way does spread add to the skill gap. Leading adds to the skillgap in Halo 3, as well as the sluggish aiming. While the sluggish aiming/aim accleration was thoroughly frustraiting and unneccessary, it did make aiming harder and did contribute to the h3 shooting skill gap. But dont ever credit randomness.

Doesn't CE have spread/bloom? (creating randomness)

This videos suggests so, some people saying its not like that on Xbox, but isn't MCC a port of the PC version anyway?

If someone gets luckier with the bloom on CE and out pistols someone, surely that's just as bad as H3's BR spread?

Or am I getting this wrong? Just asking.

Doesn't CE have spread/bloom? (creating randomness)

This videos suggests so, some people saying its not like that on Xbox, but isn't MCC a port of the PC version anyway?

If someone gets luckier with the bloom on CE and out pistols someone, surely that's just as bad as H3's BR spread?

Or am I getting this wrong? Just asking.

Halo 3 has randomized bloom. CE's pistol bloom isn't random.

EDIT: I actually meant to say spread.

Halo 3 has randomized spread. CE pistol has bloom if you hold in the trigger, but it is not random.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't read through all 7 pages, but it's BTB was pretty awesome. That and custom games made up for bad aiming system and shit BR.

Halo 3 has randomized bloom. CE's pistol bloom isn't random.

Ah, ok. Never knew this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CE pistol has some bloom at extreme range, which makes sense because all guns will have variability at 1000 feet distance. But no one plays Blood Gulch competitively.

Also I think OG Xbox has less bloom than PC but I could be crazy.

Hang Em High definitely has some randomness in the pistol battles from one base to the other on MCC. I can't remember how it played out in OG but usually people were strafing and taking cover and peeking so it didn't affect many battles. And the bloom on the pistol compared to BR bursts isn't even close.

Also I think OG Xbox has less bloom than PC but I could be crazy.

I hear this brought up a lot, but there has never been any proof.

Why you guys all argue over which is best, I'll be enjoying the shit out of CE, 2 & 3....if 343 fix MCC.

Shots don't register on LAN. Whether or not a bullet will register is determined by an rng, just like the BR's spread.

Just another one of halo 3's fallacies.

Wait, do you mean two RNG's? Like one that determines the amount of bullet deflection, and another that determines if those bullets that actually managed to hit the player register?

and asked why I even bothered to make a thread discussing Halo on a Halo forum (wut?).

NO NO NO NOW YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD ME - i am assuming you are referring to my post on page 5 

yes all the power to you for you creating a thread about halo #content where my problem lies and where other peoples problem lie is the condescending tone of this entire thread

its your opinion that halo 2 is better than halo 3 THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT CORRECT it is subjective, it is an opinion, it is a matter of preference, your question may as well be why do people like peanut butter over jam, people differ, what is good for one person might not be good for you, it isn't factual, no side is correct or wrong because there is no right answer

IT IS ENTIRELY BASED AROUND PEOPLE'S INDIVIDUALS PREFERENCES, PEOPLE SHOULDNT HAVE TO JUSTIFY IT hence why i said this thread is ultimately pointless and questioned why you even bothered making it 

if you still do not understand this point of view then i give up 

Why you guys all argue over which is best, I'll be enjoying the shit out of CE, 2 & 3....if 343 fix MCC.

I don't think it's an argument as much as a discussion. In my eyes the OP has very clearly stated two things:

1. He's noticed a large amount of people here love H3 relative to the other Halo games and he finds this odd

2. He'd like for someone to explain why they think Halo 3 is the best in the series

To be honest there hasn't really been a very good response. Most people have named things that aren't really connected to gameplay. I mean I think theater was a fine addition too, but that doesn't really get to the central issue he's asking about. On page 4 I gave a fairly thorough look at why I think Halo 2 is a superior game to Halo 3. I'd like to see something similar from someone who thinks Halo 3 is the best game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Now that begs the question of where on Car are you standing?

Is it safe to assume that you are standing against the back wall?

Yes.

No offence, but it seems like you're responding to less and less of my post each time. My points about what's a reasonable effective range, and the effect of randomness even well below the longer ranges you claim are what the mechanic is aimed at stopping, are central to what I'm trying to say here.

And also, now it's been categorically demonstrated that the spread has a profound effect on effective range and consistency even within mid ranges, how does that square with this?

I know there is a spread, but it's not as drastic as most detractors will make you believe.

It massively changes one of the fundamental parts of the utility weapon: range based TTK. When you combine that with the significant inconsistency introduced by spread, you have a drastically changed weapon. Still a BR, but a pretty damn different one.

I guess what I'm saying is that if anyone is being disingenuous about the Halo 3 BR here, it's the person claiming it's not a big change and is aimed at stopping cross map four shots. When actually it is a big change, and has a significant impact well below the ranges you say the mechanic is targeting for reduced effectiveness.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I suppose I should have clarified my self, however Cadilac did see where I was coming from;

In terms of everyone else on the "Pro Circuit", Saiyan sucked.

Nope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You guys are so defensive that you put words in my mouth. All I have done is stated that I didn't understand something, and asked a question about it. 6 pages in an the question hasn't properly been answered, at least not in a gameplay sense - which is the part I'm really after. Instead I've been insulted, falsly accused, negged multiple times, and asked why I even bothered to make a thread discussing Halo on a Halo forum (wut?).

You've asked a question that isn't relevant here, hence you're not getting the answer you want. Who exactly within this community is arguing that H3 from a gameplay perspective is 'objectively' the best Halo game? As I've explained the thread you linked on Beyond isn't solely about gameplay and pretty much all of the discussion around H3 being the most viable choice is based on sustainability (popularity / watch-ability / other external factors) rather than the gameplay itself.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To me halo 3 is a better version of h2 minus the bullet spread of the BR. Actually tbh I don't mind the spread the game is just perfect to me and it was always fun to look in. People's fileshares and look at the pictures they have.

Wait, do you mean two RNG's? Like one that determines the amount of bullet deflection, and another that determines if those bullets that actually managed to hit the player register?

Ya :/

I veto we turn this thread into a h3 appreciation thread. :kappa:

Bitta moi

A God, 3:50 is unbelievable, goat montage clip

Sickness

I veto we turn this thread into a h3 appreciation thread. :kappa:

Bitta moi

A God, 3:50 is unbelievable, goat montage clip

Sickness

Only reason the guy got the overkill no-scope in the first clip is because of H3 boken BR and noscope bullet-magnetism   :kappa:

I feel like it needs to be said that this thread isn't to compare Halo 2 and Halo 3. If you like Halo 2 over Halo 3 or vise versa that's completely fine, but it doesn't really have to do with the topic. People can still like the game even if they think another Halo title is better.

Only reason the guy got the overkill no-scope in the first clip is because the H3 BR is broken  :kappa:

He has a snipe actually, I lul'd tho.