KurtiZ

Other than nostalgia, why do people like Halo 3?

Halo 3 would be 1000% better if you weren't as slow as a turtle, could strafe, and your br worked

The game just plays way too slow for me to enjoy

I can certainly understand why people like it so much, it's not a bad game by any means but a few tweaks would of potentially made it the GOAT title

Truth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3's campaign was beautiful and had a fantastic metagame. Each level felt as big as Halo 2's biggest levels (Delta Halo, Mombasa Levels, High Charity Levels), the only drawback is Bungie "got smart" and added more invisible barriers. Bullshit.

Boy how our standards have dropped. 

Would you rather have h3 ranks or reach and halo 4 ranks? Thats what I thought

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think one of the reasons Halo 3 is remembered so fondly by so many is Halo Reach. People looked at that train wreck and compared it to when times were simpler and conveniently better. If bloom and armor abilities never existed, or at least weren't made so painfully obvious, there would have been little desire to return to the previous installment, and the whole "return to Halo's roots" campaign might not have the same pull it has today.

Would you rather have h3 ranks or reach and halo 4 ranks? Thats what I thought

I'd rather have a good game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How exactly are people "forgetting"?

I don't think it's so much forgetting, as the compeitive community having had a huge turnover of players. Halo 3 recieved a huge amount of hate and many despised the "watered-down", "slow", "boring", "skillless" gameplay it provided, compared to the prime of Halo 2 that these players had come from. (these are criticisms I read at the time, not my own, please dont neg me bros)

I know dozens of hardcore Halo players who vanished within months of H3 release, and that's just in my friend circle. So I imagine it happened everywhere, and the spaces they left were filled at least twofold with the influx of new players who started with H3. I know this is the real reason it has so much popularity still, but am interested to know why (if) these players believe the gameplay is better than CE or H2?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo: Reach had the best User Interface and best matchmaking experience I think you'll find. Not saying it's the best game, but it had by a huge margin the best User Interface and MM system.

Especially trueskill  :kappa:

this post is dumb and smart at the same time

I pick CE over the other two because I like its gameplay more. Its a bit heavier, carries more of a skill gap, and I can usually end up having a bigger variety of encounters within a match than I could in the later games.

I prefer Halo 3 over Halo 2 only because of the maps and the BR. And when I say maps, I mostly mean Forge maps. I also like that, despite the annoying inconsistency with the spread, the BR in Halo 3 takes a bit more skill to use (and the Sniper Rifle is challenging but rewarding to use).

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. I have sat for hours in the CE and Hardcore playlist and nothing. Team Slayer is literally the only list non-US players can get games in as far as I'm aware

I'm pretty sure the UK guys can get games okay, but yeah it sucks for us, and is slowly getting worse.

In off peak times, I'm having to wait up to 10 mins for a game, and by the time the game starts, 1-2 players have already quit out because they didn't get the game/game type they wanted. I'm pretty close to going back to H3 on Xbox 360 (for the third time) because of this shit. :(

I'm pretty sure the UK guys can get games okay, but yeah it sucks for us, and is slowly getting worse.

In off peak times, I'm having to wait up to 10 mins for a game, and by the time the game starts, 1-2 players have already quit out because they didn't get the game/game type they wanted. I'm pretty close to going back to H3 on Xbox 360 (for the third time) because of this shit. :(

Yeah, the EU is still ok finding games, there are slow periods though. A little worse than Reach i'd say. 

Halo 3 would be 1000% better if you weren't as slow as a turtle, could strafe, and your br worked

The game just plays way too slow for me to enjoy

I can certainly understand why people like it so much, it's not a bad game by any means but a few tweaks would of potentially made it the GOAT title

The maps were worse too

It's H3 slander time again, makes sense it's only been like a week since the last time.

Slander would mean the criticism is illegitimate. ( stealing this from @@Hard Way)

I want you "Halo 3 fans" to explain something to me.

Why halo 3 gameplay is objectively bad has been explained over and over and over again.

To this, you guys reply that "liking a game is subjective"

If it is nothing but a subjective opinion, why do you feel the need to jump in and complain about other people's subjective opinions?

If someone thinks that in their opinion H3 is shit, then that is just as much opinion as thinking H3 is amazing.

Yet, I'm pretty sure if someone said that in his opinion Halo 4 would be the most fun you would jump right at him.

This hipocrisy really grinds my gears.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No need too get upset, people just like what they like innit and there is fuck all wrong with that If I wanna play CE I'll play the ce playlist not play ts and get mad at people picking the game I didn't want too play.

Also I'll pick halo 3 brs over h2 smgs everytime!

^^Thank you, it makes me laugh how much it bothers you that a lot of people out there enjoy playing halo 3, who actually cares? I enjoyed playing it on Lan and also really enjoy watching it.

Every one enjoys different Halo's, why is it a problem to like halo 3 on this forum?

I never thought I'd see someone attack Halo 3 on Beyond by using the nostalgia argument. Any degree of Halo 3's popularity that is attributed to "nostalgia" is no greater than the amount that can be attributed to any other Halo game's popularity. People played and loved CE and then felt nostalgic after the fact. Same with Halo 2.

Halo 3 is popular because, while not perfect, it is still an incredible Halo game with some really timeless maps, fun gameplay, pleasant art-style, and gorgeous music. It also had more of a sense of community than any other Halo game due to the fact that the game was great overall, which kept players coming back, and due to the tools it gave people to make custom games and maps. Halo Reach and Halo 4 had those tools to a greater degree, but they weren't great games overall and so didn't retain players and give that community feel like Halo 3 did.

Did it have annoying BR spread, AR starts, some not-so-competitive equipment, and terrible netcode? Of course, but those things are really blown out of proportion in my opinion.

All 3 of the original Halo games had an ability to make me feel the excitement of a kid on Christmas(×10), but I'd say Halo 3 took it to another level.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I honestly think H2 is more overrated (on here at least) than H3 is. Way more blinding nostalgia around the former than the latter.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm just not a huge fan of most of the H2 maps...it might be some sort nostalgia though..

I played a lot of HCE splitcreen back in the days (both MP and SP!)

When H2 came around I still didn't have an internet connection that was fast enough for online gaming in my area so I was stuck playing splitscreen on maps that got kinda boring after a while (at least for me my buddies)

When I finally got my hands on a good internet in mid 2007 and played my first online games Halo 3 was just around the corner and I just played some 200-300 matches of H2 online.

Right now I enjoy HCE the most, Halo 3 was my first big online experience and I have a lot of great memories but H2 got lost somehow...

So when I'm playing the TS playlist:

HCE > H2, H3

H3 BR > H2 BR (most of the time, comes down to what map is available)

H3 AR > H2 SMG

H2 BR > H3 AR (screw the map...)

The irony of H2 kids asking this question is hilarious.

H2 is fucking horrible and the only reason people like it is due to nostalgia.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 12

eNXM8Bw.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think H3 was perfectly in the middle of a competitive and casual game. People say a lot in here how H3 is a casual game, but its a millions times more competitive than everything else on console...what comes close? Gears of War 1? Shadowrun? Its just a big step down competitively from H1 and H2 (although I hate the aim assist on H2)

Anyway, H3 had amazing art style music and customs. It also had a lot of new things like Theater and Forge which were great to have in the game. Also the physics where fantastic too!

It did have problems of course, but it didn't stop thousands of people spending days and days of play time on it. The gameplay may not of been as good as the previous two, but its miles ahead of anything else out there on consoles even today.

I used to love coming home on Friday night and playing double EXP weekends, the tournaments had massive popularity, the YouTube videos where great (Anoj's top tens), the community was addicting too. File shares had a lot to do with that, was always interesting to see peoples screenshots, films and maps.

I think that balance between a competitive and casual game is the key though, most people aren't like the majority of us on here, most are casual, most people will pick H3 over CE because its easier to play, but its still challenging at the same time.

All in all, I think I may be the only person that loves the first 3 Halo games equally.

I know this is the real reason it has so much popularity still, but am interested to know why (if) these players believe the gameplay is better than CE or H2?

I really don't think it's a case of believing the gameplay is objectively better.

The thread you linked previously asks 'what shall we move to if H5 fails', this isn't solely linked to gameplay, thus a lot of the reasoning for H3 votes comes from the practical perspective of popularity leading to viewership / player base. Similarly H3 will obviously be voted more in MCC playlists because it was quite literally the peak of Halo's popularity and resonates more with the current generation of gamers (the ones who were sperms during CE).

There's an above par level of quality in gameplay that is bolstered for the majority by a [relative] giant leap in visual quality.

I think H3 was perfectly in the middle of a competitive and casual game. People say a lot in here how H3 is a casual game, but its a millions times more competitive than everything else on console...what comes close? Gears of War 1? Shadowrun? Its just a big step down competitively from H1 and H2 (although I hate the aim assist on H2)

Anyway, H3 had amazing art style music and customs. It also had a lot of new things like Theater and Forge which were great to have in the game. Also the physics where fantastic too!

It did have problems of course, but it didn't stop thousands of people spending days and days of play time on it. The gameplay may not of been as good as the previous two, but its miles ahead of anything else out there on consoles even today.

I used to love coming home on Friday night and playing double EXP weekends, the tournaments had massive popularity, the YouTube videos where great (Anoj's top tens), the community was addicting too. File shares had a lot to do with that, was always interesting to see peoples screenshots, films and maps.

I think that balance between a competitive and casual game is the key though, most people aren't like the majority of us on here, most are casual, most people will pick H3 over CE because its easier to play, but its still challenging at the same time.

All in all, I think I may be the only person that loves the first 3 Halo games equally.

I get the point you are trying to make, but Shadowrun is a million times more competitive than Halo 3.

Gears of War 1 relatively close, but I personally like the fact you can take over the game by yourself easier than team-oriented H3.

Other than that, yes, at the time there really wasn't anything else that came close on console.

CE: 8/10

H2: 7.5/10

H3: 9/10

HR: 8/10

H4: 7/10

H2A: 8/10

857.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4