KurtiZ

Other than nostalgia, why do people like Halo 3?

Halo 3 would be 1000% better if you weren't as slow as a turtle, could strafe, and your br worked

But then it wouldn't be halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because 8 years later it still looks like a next gen game and noobs don't quit when they're getting their shit kicked in unlike in CE.(I don't play H2) Why do you not like it? Besides, Halo 2 has 2 of it's own playlist so I don't see why you're complaining.

Edit-You probably don't like it because you're from AU which is understandable.

the countless machinimas. Youtube was becoming super popular right before halo3 release. youtube was flooded with halo3 content. You can go look right now and halo2 content is so hard to find in comparison to halo3. 

the physics in halo 3 honestly allow so much jank to happen which is highly entertaining.

flaws aren't apparent. if you asked most people if the br in halo3 shot str8, they would say yes. 

looks absolutely gorgeous. 

forge

introduced theater to the game and still has the best theater of any halo game. 

MLG and competitive esports as a whole became popular.

I also feel like the internet activity skyrocketed in 2006. 

It was probably the best game on the 360. It's also the highest selling game on the 360. 

you couldn't even play halo1 on xbl(2 after 2010). You had to jump through hoops to play it online at all. As for halo2, unpatched its fucking terrible.

halo 3's matchmaking experience was/is the goat. nothing on console compares to it that I know of except halo2 which had a worse matchmaking experience, just better ranks.

Why wouldn't you like halo3? 

That's a nice list, thank you. Unfortunate that none of it is gameplay-related though. I think that's what I find most interesting about it; H3 seems to be the god of everything but gameplay. No H3 supporter ever says its better because *gameplay mechanic*, it's always other stuff. Maybe that's why I struggle to understand it's support because to me gameplay > everything

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know some people dislike Halo 3, it wasn't my favorite game but it was a lot better than Reach/H4 for me. Just wish it had a proper Snipers/MLG playlist for it, so many fond memories on there.

Ok let's not be facetious:

- It was the first Halo a lot of people played.

- It had the most hype by far.

- It had forge/theatre first.

- It has an extremely recognizable look.

- It finished the fight (the trilogy).

- It's Big Team Battle was extremely fun.

- It was easy to get into and ranks were obtainable for most.

- It came out at literally the perfect time.

- It's fun.

- AR Charging is an extremely easy way to play that appeals to a LOT of players.

I like Halo 3, especially on dedicated servers, but it's in no way more fun than Halo 2/1 for me. It's a good game, but not great.

Also, @@Gold in Australia you can only find games in Team Slayer :(

If I could play the CE playlist I wouldn't even touch the others.

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo 3's matchmaking experience was/is the goat. nothing on console compares to it that I know of except halo2 which had a worse matchmaking experience, just better ranks.

Bungie knew how to maintain a population well after launch for both casual and competitive.

Yeah okay, specifically with respect to the transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3, I'm calling bullshit on this.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

That's a nice list, thank you. Unfortunate that none of it is gameplay-related though. I think that's what I find most interesting about it; H3 seems to be the god of everything but gameplay. No H3 supporter ever says its better because *gameplay mechanic*, it's always other stuff. Maybe that's why I struggle to understand it's support because to me gameplay > everything

It's not just gameplay that makes a game good. Halo 3 might not have the best core gameplay, but everything else around it, (Ranks, matchmaking, custom games, forge, theatre, fileshare) makes it the best halo so far IMO. But its all about opinions, no need to seem so angry about people liking h3 more than h2 or ce. All 3 were great halos, h3 just had a lot of things that h1 or h2 didn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is ridiculous. Have 343 said if they're working on it?

I genuinely believe that it's because like 6 people are playing MCC in Australia.

I genuinely believe that it's because like 6 people are playing MCC in Australia.

Yeah I mean they need to change it so you can get games with anyone like in every other halo game. They didn't manage to fuck that up in 4, how did they do it now?

Halo 3 might not have the best core gameplay, but everything else around it, (Ranks)

Boy how our standards have dropped. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Yeah okay, specifically with respect to the transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3, I'm calling bullshit on this.

Explain, Lord Lemon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah I mean they need to change it so you can get games with anyone like in every other halo game. They didn't manage to fuck that up in 4, how did they do it now?

That would be nice. Dedicated servers on US connection > No games in any playlists other than TS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, @@Gold in Australia you can only find games in Team Slayer :(

If I could play the CE playlist I wouldn't even touch the others.

This. I have sat for hours in the CE and Hardcore playlist and nothing. Team Slayer is literally the only list non-US players can get games in as far as I'm aware

Most people started with H3 so it's their favorite Halo game and they vote for it. Why do they not play the H3 playlist? I dunno, good question. I think the whole premise of the cross game playlist is dumb. If I want variety I'll change it manually. I dont want to frustrate myself by having a game I dont want to play be voted for (I like all of them but moreso the gametype)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Explain, Lord Lemon.

In terms of the actual matchmaking experience, Halo 3 was almost identical to Halo 2. 

The ranking system got worse, but we got Grifball. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

In terms of the actual matchmaking experience, Halo 3 was almost identical to Halo 2. 

The ranking system got worse, but we got Grifball. 

All of our prayers were answered. 

Halo 3's matchmaking experience was/is the goat. nothing on console compares to it that I know of except Halo 2 which had a worse matchmaking experience, just better ranks.

Halo: Reach had the best User Interface and best matchmaking experience I think you'll find. Not saying it's the best game, but it had by a huge margin the best User Interface and MM system.

Especially trueskill  :kappa:

Because it had an epic story and the multiplayer, while still with its problems, was still incredible and destroyed Call of Duty and Battlefield anyday.

The results of the poll in this thread http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/9034-if-halo-5-fails-what-halo-should-be-played-competitively-instead/ prompted me to make this. H3 is basically equal to CE and H2 on THIS forum, which surprised me.

That thread isn't "what is the best halo" its "if Halo 5 fails what Halo should be played competitively instead". Completely different things.

There may be practical reasons for why we couldn't/shouldn't play CE or H2 over H3. Either having to use the OG xboxs which has no XBL(unless you use XBC, which lets be honest most people won't or can't use). So, it would be difficult to practice for an event because there would be no way to practice. The other option would be to play the MCC versions, which at the time of that thread(Feb) MCC was broken as ever. Not really a surprise that people didn't want to use MCC and just go back to 360 and play H3 which even with H3's lag issues was still more reliable than MCC.

So, is it really that unreasonable to want Halo to go back to the game where it was most popular? The level of competition in H3 was at Halo's highest and was the last game that we had that was close to Halo's original formula before everything went to shit with Reach/4. Even pros have said that HCE or H2 are their favorite games but their favorite memories are H3 events just because of the high level of competition and fun that was procvided through H3's success.  

Also, btw H3 isn't even really even with CE in the poll. CE is winning by about 20 votes. So, idk where you are getting this idea that H3 is even with CE/2 in support on this forum. 

People tend to forgot how crap Halo 3 was compared to H2.

How exactly are people "forgetting"?