KurtiZ

Other than nostalgia, why do people like Halo 3?

I am absolutely baffled by the amount of people that vote for Halo 3 over CE and H2, both online and in opinion threads of this forum. I understand that a lot of people started in Halo 3 and there is nostalgia attached to that, but other than those reason why do so many of you think that it is a better game than CE or Halo 2? From an objective point of view it makes absolutely no sense to me in the slightest. 

Am I the only one that is annoyed by how much love this game gets, or am I misguided somehow?

• Upvote (+1) 17
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Why does it matter? Despite the leaner competitive shift, it is still a "great Halo game" by and large.

Even casuals who keep playing Halo say the series "ended at Halo 3". Halo 3 is still one of the best shooters with community support.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Feel like this is relevant

While CE was the first Halo I ever played, Halo 3 was my first game I bought for the 360 and the first of the series that I had dove into and played a lot of(to the point my parents had to enable the family timer on my 360 for a period of time). I have fond memories of the game with friends hat mostly consist of amazing customs, online co op, and being in a clan with friends. Do I think Halo 3 is the best in the franchise from a gameplay perspective? Not really, but I'm not going to question other people's opinions. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Played some games today and it has all the same problems that it did back in the day, plus it's even worse because of the aiming issues and dated gametypes.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. And Halo is much more fun when you know the maps, and LOTS of people know the Halo 3 maps.

Says the guy who had a h3 avatar until recently. :3

Are you refering to my old Crossfaith "The Dream, The Space" album cover avatar?

D7Jl4.jpg

Also @@RyanW, I am not arguing about it, I just want to know some reasons why people think it is a better game than CE or H2? I know heaps of people started on it, but now that we have access to all 3 I'm hoping that people can provide a real comparison - like how @@Nokterne said it's because people find Halo more fun when people know the maps. That's the kinda answer I'm after

Halo 3's BR not being hitscan is really my only big problem with the game. Having said that I still think the game plays great. I still think Guardian > Lockout, the art style of the game is incredible and still holds up well today, the sniper is the best in the series, the gameplay is still really good along with many other things.

Edit: oh and Halo 3's physics are fucking incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The Halo community was flourishing at the time of Halo 3. Endless hours of fun. Bungie knew how to maintain a population well after launch for both casual and competitive. Even Reach with its terrible gameplay was able to maintain a healthy population for a good while because of all its features. These games were functional on launch day and had all features available from the get go. Halo 4 and MCC launched as a beta and alpha respectively, and major features weren't implemented until 6+ months after launch. *tear*

Jeez I probably spent more time in H3 Customs/Forge than I did in matchmaking. There was always a lobby available.

Anyway, point is I'm nostalgic, but I'd pick H2 over H3 anyday of the week.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are we browsing the same site? because I typically see people bash H3 before anyone ever praises it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

For me it feels like Halo 3 is the perfect balance between graphics and gameplay - And I feel like the game itself is balanced in terms of skill too :) I just have tons of fun playing it, compared to all the other Halo's :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because 70% of the people that still play halo started with H3 or later.

This is what iv'e always thought too. It sames for the* people who started with CE and H2. You'll always be fond of your first love.

Halo 3 would be 1000% better if you weren't as slow as a turtle, could strafe, and your br worked

The game just plays way too slow for me to enjoy

I can certainly understand why people like it so much, it's not a bad game by any means but a few tweaks would of potentially made it the GOAT title

• Upvote (+1) 6

Don't know why you'd be surprised things can be good in different ways, @@l1nk22 describes perfectly so many of the things that people love about the gameplay unique to halo 3.

Also, icicle snipes

ICICLE SNIPES

• Upvote (+1) 1

the countless machinimas. Youtube was becoming super popular right before halo3 release. youtube was flooded with halo3 content. You can go look right now and halo2 content is so hard to find in comparison to halo3. 

the physics in halo 3 honestly allow so much jank to happen which is highly entertaining.

flaws aren't apparent. if you asked most people if the br in halo3 shot str8, they would say yes. 

looks absolutely gorgeous. 

forge

introduced theater to the game and still has the best theater of any halo game. 

MLG and competitive esports as a whole became popular.

I also feel like the internet activity skyrocketed in 2006. 

It was probably the best game on the 360. It's also the highest selling game on the 360. 

you couldn't even play halo1 on xbl(2 after 2010). You had to jump through hoops to play it online at all. As for halo2, unpatched its fucking terrible.

halo 3's matchmaking experience was/is the goat. nothing on console compares to it that I know of except halo2 which had a worse matchmaking experience, just better ranks.

Why wouldn't you like halo3? 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'll pick H2 BRs over H3 BRs any day of the week(Unless it's on a bad map in H2 and 1 of the better maps in H3), H3 BRs over H2 SMGs, and H3 ARs over H2 SMGs.

• Upvote (+1) 1