CyReN

Microsoft Drops Used Games Restrictions and Always Online

Will you buy the Xbox One?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy the Xbox One?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Wow, if they actually do this, it's Rest in Pieces Playstation.

Btw, what exactly does, "

• All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360" mean?

Is that a reference to backwards compatibility or something else? I'm confused.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow, if they actually do this, it's Rest in Pieces Playstation.

Btw, what exactly does, "

• All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360" mean?

Is that a reference to backwards compatibility or something else? I'm confused.

Meaning you can play it, give it to friends, etc (like you would on a 360)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love people on Twitter who act like this isn't a big deal for the mass consumer. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wow really? Microsoft listened? This is why I didnt care about the huge public outlash, I was hoping they'd respond be taking off restrictions :D

Wow I hope this is really true. I wasn't expecting Microsoft to go back on things so soon, but this is fantastic news if this actually comes to fruition. XBO has much MUCH better games, better controller, and more features while PS3's only advantage would be the price point. Wow. Just wow if this is true. Please keep us posted

Meaning you can play it, give it to friends, etc (like you would on a 360)

Oh, right, okay. Thanks. I'll be surprised if they do go back on all of this, though. I watched an interview last week with Major Nelson and he said they aren't going to change anything about the new console because it's "the future". We'll see I guess, it would put the Xbox One ahead of the PS4 in my opinion by a large amount. 

all I see on twitter SONY DOESN'T DISALLOW SELF PUBLISHING!!! 

Me: I don't think the general Call of Duty fan is going to be thinking when they buy their next console "gee, the Xbox One doesn't allow self publishing" they will be thinking "WOW OMG TITANFALL COD EXCLUSIVE DLC AND NO DRM!!!". 

They took a page out of 343's playbook. Release something that is horrible then fix some things so it's mediocrity seems like unreal awesomeness. Well done, MS, well done.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If true then the only thing PS4 has over XB1 is price. And I'm more than willing to spend the extra money.

Now all they have to do is remove the mandatory Kinect and sell it separately. :P

• Upvote (+1) 1

Suddenly, the only thing PS4 can really compete at is price. If this is really happening, then well done Microsoft.

They will have to make sure everyone knows about this though.

Well I really hope this is all true. It looks like a list made up by everybody who felt disenfranchised up to this point as to what they heard about the Xbox One.

It's like line-by-line everything the gaming community was displeased with so I guess I'm really anxious to hear confirmation by MS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now all they have to do is remove the mandatory Kinect and sell it separately. :P

I doubt they'll budge on that. All or none. No dev is going to want to develop games for a device that 1/3 of the population has. By making it mandatory they are assuring devs that there will be a market for kinnect games.

That's the theory I'm guessing but it doesn't matter if they force me to buy it or not. I don't have enough room where I game to use a kinnect so I won't ever buy a kinnect game.

Confirmed, watching TGS podcast right now, and it just came up on Xbox.com saying that it has changed it's DRM strategy.

link.

I certainly hope this is true. I will buy one regardless but I'd really like to be able to play Halo 4 once this console comes out, without having to hold onto my 360.

If true then the only thing PS4 has over XB1 is price. And I'm more than willing to spend the extra money.

Well not exactly, PS4 doesnt come with its camera thing so they both come out around the same price all for the overall package lol.

Today is was first reported by GiantBomb that Microsoft would announce the dropping of the DRM. Below are some details about what would be coming:

Microsoft is set to announce it will remove DRM restrictions on Xbox One games and the need for you to have the new Xbox "always online".

Sources tell us that Microsoft is set to announce the changes later today, with games developers being informed first.

It seems Microsoft has listened and is set to change its mind on both DRM on Xbox One games and the always online requirement.

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped
Source: NeoGAF

This is going to be huge. Like enormous if it pulls out to be true.

Well not exactly, PS4 doesnt come with its camera thing so they both come out around the same price all for the overall package lol.

That's if you want the camera and if they charge $100 for a web cam.

The forced kinect is a bit lame but as far as people who think it spies on you, most of us have cellphones, facebook pages, web cams, use google, etc.. If someone really wanted to spy on us they could easily do it without kinect.

That being said still I think removing it could lower the price point below the ps4 and make ms look like they came to their senses.