Microsoft Drops Used Games Restrictions and Always Online

Will you buy the Xbox One?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy the Xbox One?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

NEWS:

The fixes will come in a day one patch (this is why you need internet to set up the console), and the patch will also remove two features that were being highlighted..

1. Cloud Game Storage a.k.a. Bring your gamertag instead of discs and have all your games online on another console
  2. Family/Friends Sharing a.k.a. offering 10 other gamertags access to your entire game library that they can use. You would have also been able to play the same game as one of these people at the same time.

The two features that were drawing me to the console. :/ Still getting it, but I would rather have the DRM if it meant I kept those features. I'm not blaming MS, I understand why those features arent possible now.

Pretty pissed off in all honesty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The two features that were drawing me to the console. :/ Still getting it, but I would rather have the DRM if it meant I kept those features. I'm not blaming MS, I understand why those features arent possible now.

Pretty pissed off in all honesty.

Same. I am very pissed. 

However there was wording in the article that intended they could reintroduce these features later on. 

He said family sharing will not be present "at launch"

• Upvote (+1) 2

Now hopefully they lower prices or add games to the package right when you buy it.

Hopefully I get this for Christmas...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Same. I am very pissed.

However there was wording in the article that intended they could reintroduce these features later on.

The same way Classic CTF could be reintroduced at a later date?

Same. I am very pissed. 

Hopefully we get some kind of feature where family sharing of downloaded games is still possible, but not games that you bought on disc. I'd be fine with that.

Still buying a PS4.

If you honestly think they did this because of "consumer feedback" you are going to be in for a rude awakening. Inb4 they implement some stupid features after everyone buys an Xbone.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Positives:

• Used games/lending games/trad-ins will work
  • Offline gaming
  • LAN and MLG can return and bring games like Halo 5 and Titanfall to the circuit.
  • Can compete with the PS4 on an even playing field, very similar consoles now
  • XB1 can be moved to an area without a connection

Negatives:

• Can no longer install games to the cloud and have your game library tied to your gamertag
  • Family sharing (sharing your library with up to 10 gamertags) removed
  • Internet-less countries will not be able to use the XB1 because it requires a patch (internet connection) to enable offline gaming (Oh sweet irony)
  • For another 6-10 years we will be stuck with an old generation of technology, where music and movies are digital and many people will still use discs for games
  • Although this is a positive for us, it is a negative for developers/publishers: Developers/Publishers will make less money now that used games are not restricted.

Hopefully we get some kind of feature where family sharing of downloaded games is still possible, but not games that you bought on disc. I'd be fine with that.

I agree, hopefully this will be the case. Same for Cloud Game storage (tied to gamertag)

• Upvote (+1) 3

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

xbox_180_zpse66def25.png

Yep, the news is as good as it sounds.

I switched over to Xbox from the PS1, and haven't looked back since. I was actually on the fence and was thinking about waiting until Halo 5 to decide on a console. But now, whenever I do decide to upgrade my 360, it will be an upgrade to the XbOne.

This is pretty huge news.

I might end up buying the Xbox One on release even.

Still buying a PS4.

If you honestly think they did this because of "consumer feedback" you are going to be in for a rude awakening. Inb4 they implement some stupid features after everyone buys an Xbone.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to BS everyone post release. I'm happy they changed it and this is great for people who didn't want to switch to the PS4 or were perhaps on the fence, but for me personally i'll still wait to see if Halo 5 is amazing to buy one (At the 499$ price point). I personally don't see the value for the extra 100$.

But seriously how did that region lock garbage even get through. Who thought it was a good idea to only let like 21 countries be able to play it at launch.

I'll definitely pick one up eventually now, just a matter of when they drop the price and how much. 

That's if you want the camera and if they charge $100 for a web cam.

they said that the camera is about 50-60$

Are you talking about being able to play offline?

Yeah but not just single player offline I'm talking about system link. XB1 will have dedicated servers so they might do away with system link

And now the whole internet will scream "Team Xbox" after calling Microsoft the trashiest thing since Amanda Bynes' breakdown.

I'm still not swayed one way or the other. No exclusives stick out to me and I still don't see the point in spending an extra $100 for features I know I won't use.

Microsoft really needs to not include the Kinect so they can lower the Xbox One's price to $399, like seriously Kinect isn't worth all those sales they're not gonna get because of the higher price. Also I heard that if Nintendo didn't make their controller a game pad for the WiiU, then that console could of cost only $200 at launch! 

Positives:

• Used games/lending games/trad-ins will work
  • Offline gaming
  • LAN and MLG can return and bring games like Halo 5 and Titanfall to the circuit.
  • Can compete with the PS4 on an even playing field, very similar consoles now
  • XB1 can be moved to an area without a connection

Negatives:

• Can no longer install games to the cloud and have your game library tied to your gamertag
  • Family sharing (sharing your library with up to 10 gamertags) removed
  • Internet-less countries will not be able to use the XB1 because it requires a patch (internet connection) to enable offline gaming (Oh sweet irony)
  • For another 6-10 years we will be stuck with an old generation of technology, where music and movies are digital and many people will still use discs for games
  • Although this is a positive for us, it is a negative for developers/publishers: Developers/Publishers will make less money now that used games are not restricted.

I agree, hopefully this will be the case. Same for Cloud Game storage (tied to gamertag)

A lot of the negatives is because of us consumers who wanna save money and "download" stuff for free. 

The plot thickens....

at the end of the day - this is good news, but I will still praise Sony because if it weren't for their stellar showing at E3 this would have never happened. Now we have two solid choices instead of one. Can't complain about that. 

Defo, good news. Still undecided on which system to get but this helps the Xbox One's chances immensely

they said that the camera is about 50-60$

Yeahhhh but the ps4 eye ( or camera) is crap. Considering the amount of r&d into kinect, it is well over $100

So after thinking it over for a while I understand that this was the right move for MS, but it kind of pisses me off that they had to dumb down their console to appease consumers and sell units. I was really looking forward to the unique xb1 features that are now not possible. Looks like next gen will be a lot closer to what we have now than what I had hoped for.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So after thinking it over for a while I understand that this was the right move for MS, but it kind of pisses me off that they had to dumb down their console to appease consumers and sell units. I was really looking forward to the unique xb1 features that are now not possible. Looks like next gen will be a lot closer to what we have now than what I had hoped for.

Agreed. 

It appears that the new generation is just Current Gen v2

• Upvote (+1) 2