Unyshek

A Message to HCS Pros

I put in 4 hours of bullshit work into every video I created.

1 hour of finding the correct film

Save a good game after you play it

1:30 of going over what I'm going to talk about

An hour and a half? Just say what's on your mind because there is no need to plan that long.

30 minutes of prep work for the stream and an hour of the video.

You live stream the video your making? That makes it 10x harder...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I posted this in another thread. I put in 4 hours of bullshit work into every video I created. 1 hour of finding the correct film, 1:30 of going over what I'm going to talk about, 30 minutes of prep work for the stream and an hour of the video. I created a lot of videos during reach and it was bullshit, really turned me off of the youtube grind. 

You have to give it time, you can't just upload a Youtube video an magically become PewDiePie.  Its a work in progress if you aren't willing to consistently put in the work over an over well then you don't deserve anything.

If you want to mod me I can liven this page up a bit. FrostyEvades is my reddit name

Done

Once I hop on my PC, probably tomorrow morning :)

I posted this in another thread. I put in 4 hours of bullshit work into every video I created. 1 hour of finding the correct film, 1:30 of going over what I'm going to talk about, 30 minutes of prep work for the stream and an hour of the video. I created a lot of videos during reach and it was bullshit, really turned me off of the youtube grind.

Yeah that's a lot of prep, I feel like you'd have a lot of success just posting clips

Plus there are enough good editors out there so I'm sure someone would do it pro bono

30 second - 2 minute clips are lot easier than having to come up with stuff to talk about and then edit and etc

Views are views anyway you slice it, start collecting them sweet ad dollars

Sign up on reddit and share your videos on r/halo, share the YT links on your twitter, it's eZ mode

You have to give it time, you can't just upload a Youtube video an magically become PewDiePie.  Its a work in progress if you aren't willing to consistently put in the work over an over well then you don't deserve anything.

My first video got 2500 views, after that declined to 300. It was well advertised and I took in videos from the community, I actually stopped receiving submissions lol. I figured the halo community doesn't want this so I didn't continue.

Oh man... incredible post, so much more powerful when you quantify the data - cant run from it, cant hide from it.

Remember when all Halo Pro's were good for was charging for lessons and friend request spots?

it baffles me, to see people like Ogre 2 waste all of their potential star power - he ltierally has not cared about anything other than showing up to an event and going home since HCE. 

Oh well,,  I guess when you get a green "Pro Player" icon, or a "Pro Pass" at an event you start to think that you are too cool for school.

This elitist mentality has plagued the Halo community for over a decade, its all the players have known to do, and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

To their credit though, Halo has only gotten worse and worse which in turn has made me care less and less to watch it, and if I (like them) was forced to play Reach, then H4, then the same H2A maps over and over and over again - I would jump off the tallest bridge I could find into shallowest water possible.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Oh man... incredible post, so much more powerful when you quantify the data - cant run from it, cant hide from it.

Remember when all Halo Pro's were good for was charging for lessons and friend request spots?

it baffles me, to see people like Ogre 2 waste all of their potential star power - he ltierally has not cared about anything other than showing up to an event and going home since HCE. 

Oh well,,  I guess when you get a green "Pro Player" icon, or a "Pro Pass" at an event you start to think that you are too cool for school.

This elitist mentality has plagued the Halo community for over a decade, its all the players have known to do, and I dont see it changing anytime soon.

To their credit though, Halo has only gotten worse and worse which in turn has made me care less and less to watch it, and if I (like them) was forced to play Reach, then H4, then the same H2A maps over and over and over again - I would jump off the tallest bridge I could find into shallowest water possible.

Fuck man, were fighting a three front war now??

Against the DEVs, the Casuals, and now the PROs???

• Upvote (+1) 1

My first video got 2500 views, after that declined to 300. It was well advertised and I took in videos from the community, I actually stopped receiving submissions lol. I figured the halo community doesn't want this so I didn't continue.

That's understandable. A lot of people are willing to create content and there are tons out there that do. It's just that the halo community doesn't watch them. It's unfortunate.

Fuck man, were fighting a three front war now??

Against the DEVs, the Casuals, and now the PROs???

It actually started with Pro's.

Dog, I have been posting about Pro support and interaction (or lack thereof) for years and years, even back on the MLG forums.

It truly has baffled me since the beginning their sense of entitlement and elitism.

Imagine a thread similar to this, being made back in the days of H2/H3 when "we have a crap game" wasnt even a possible excuse - they STILL did nothing!

Its just the way things have been, and I have always found that the forums, the casual competitive" players here - have always been the REAL Halo community, and one that I have enjoyed since Day 1. 

The "Pro's" should follow me on twitter/facebook, because at least I am more entertaining than three hours every few months at an event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's difficult for me to hold anything against any content makers, pro or not, considering that the MCC has been FUCKING BROKEN for 4+months. I wouldn't demand that anyone spend their time on Earth fighting the swirling shitstorm of glitches festering out of every gaping pore of code in that thing. As far as content for earlier Halos (besides reach and 4 which sucked) it just wasn't as easy to upload stuff online like it is now. Remember when youtube had 15 min time limits for everything but educational content? Remember when twitch and justin.tv didn't exist? No El Gatos? Getting shit on the internet use to be a lot more difficult when Halo was in its prime. If 343 gets shit done finally and if the tournament scene somehow recovers, and pros still don't post content, THEN I'd be inclined to be disappointed. MLG had vod and pro interviews on fucking lock for H2 and H3 so there was definitely a surplus of material to dig into. If Halo didn't get trashed by developer malpractice on a consistent basis I think that this would all be a non-issue.

Lovin it.

OT, it's understandable that people get frustrated or finds pointless to upload/create content but the only way one person can start getting attention and see interaction between a community-channel creator on YT is by spending a lot of time even if your views are low. Can't explain myself properly, but when you build a reputation and start creating your own community for your type of videos... it won't matter if you uploaded the biggest piece of crap in the world, or the biggest piece of art that surpasses Leonardo DaVinci there will be a minimum amount of people watching you.

You must sit down, learn some editing skills and try to appeal to at least the fanbase you have, even if its small. For example, creating and uploading your own videos shouldn't be that hard. If you spend hours and hours of editing for a simple gameplay commentary, or a tutorial/guide, you can do way better. @@RyaNoob's case, in my honest opinion, he can create/upload those videos faster and better. An intro, an introduction, give quick details about the person who gave it to you with the info about the game (maps, settings, etc), some music in the background, stuff like that. More appealing to the audience, a bit showy, while stating the points and keeping it short/not too long.

From my perspective, a video who doesn't have an intro, music, some cool overlays, interesting commentary while maintaining the quality (and the time) will push away the viewer; while in the other hand... a video that has some of those things will keep the attention and interest of the viewer.

Just watched RyaNoob's Review of Ozzy's Gameplay and Goldenboy's Random Thought Vlog, I felt more welcomed and kept my attention with Goldenboy's video while Ryanoob's was difficult. The music, the quick edits, the warm introduction/farewell and the interesting examples/facts he gave maintained my attention.

That's honestly my opinion. I'm no huge youtuber or anything, but that's what I think will help a lot of people, including pros, with videos on Youtube. While I'm no nerd when is about Twitch, Youtube is a different type of dedication one has to deal with, and the only thing you can do... is spend time. A lot of it.

#grammariscrap #shittyyoutuber #minimumwage

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know how many views I get? about 20 per video after 2 weeks of it being on YT. I upload because I know halo needs this right now (and I enjoy it) and I will do what i can to help the community. You have a huge following and if you would be consistent with the uploads/streams, you would probably build a bit of a fan base. 

So the community stopped providing you content to use for your own content, and that equated to "I guess people dont want any content?" 

Am I reading that right?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't see the point, they have no interest. Theyd be only doing them because felt they had too, so they would come out with shit videos anyway.

Noob thinks getting 200 views per video is bad, well that's a good start Imo, if you stick at it they will come.

It's nothing but a pain for you it would seem, so yeah I wouldnt bother if I were you.

The community comes out with the best content anyway, kampy,holbom(or however you say his name lol) and even the op of this thread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

200 views is bad when a video of a cute baby gets a million with zero editing.

Also, I don't understand calling out the pros and calling them disappointments and elitists. What do they owe you, exactly? If I was a pro and I saw people making these comments I wouldn't want to provide content to them either. I don't mind the opening post in this thread because it was just a call to action and what a general request to the pros.

Would it be nice if they streamed and uploaded to YT and helped grow the community? Absolutely. But they are not required to do so. Maybe they don't give a shit about Halo and just want to make some quick money at tournaments and have fun competing. I dunno.

You know whose job it is to grow the Halo community? 343 Industries. Hey 343i, how's about you create a GOOD, exciting competitive game that people WANT to watch, and doing your damndest to promote it? When the HCS final is on tweet that shit like mad and get your sponsors to tweet it out and also put it on the Xbox dashboard more prominently.

Also FIX MCC, then people will actually play it and care about it.

Microsoft needs to put out some updates so their OS isn't absolute shit as well. It takes a million fucking years to open twitch on your console and broadcast properly. It also takes way too much effort to DVR something. One of the buttons on the controller should be used to quickly record 5 minutes because right now it takes WAY too long to snap the DVR app and record it in the middle of a game. It's bullshit that this doesn't exist. It's also bullshit that you can't DVR up to 10 minutes which is the typical length of a full game...

• Downvote (-1) 1

200 views is bad when a video of a cute baby gets a million with zero editing.

Also, I don't understand calling out the pros and calling them disappointments and elitists. What do they owe you, exactly? If I was a pro and I saw people making these comments I wouldn't want to provide content to them either. I don't mind the opening post in this thread because it was just a call to action and what a general request to the pros.

I call it like I see it bro - and I have been seeing it for over a decade - hate to say it, but the "elitism" is for real. 

You are right, they dont owe me or anyone here anything.  But that argument is a slippy slope my friend.  Thats like saying, 343 does not owe us anything.  They put out a product, and regardless if it works or not - we bought their product.  There was a transaction, it was broke, we all had opportunities to return it - thats the same logic if I went and bought something broke at Target. 

343 could say F the MCC (which they are close to doing it seems) in the same way the Pro's can say F helping build a community and fan base.

Are either of those situation the right thing to do?  Nope

Does not giving a crap help the community? Nope

Does building the community, producing content, interacting with the community help to garner a greater following, more views, and more revune? Yep!

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.  But I guess if they dont owe me anything and dont care, then why should I continue to do so? Or anyone else here?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I call it like I see it bro - and I have been seeing it for over a decade - hate to say it, but the "elitism" is for real. 

You are right, they dont owe me or anyone here anything.  But that argument is a slippy slope my friend.  Thats like saying, 343 does not owe us anything.  They put out a product, and regardless if it works or not - we bought their product.  There was a transaction, it was broke, we all had opportunities to return it - thats the same logic if I went and bought something broke at Target. 

343 could say F the MCC (which they are close to doing it seems) in the same way the Pro's can say F helping build a community and fan base.

Are either of those situation the right thing to do?  Nope

Does not giving a crap help the community? Nope

Does building the community, producing content, interacting with the community help to garner a greater following, more views, and more revune? Yep!

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.  But I guess if they dont owe me anything and dont care, then why should I continue to do so? Or anyone else here?

I understand what you're trying to say. Really anyone/everyone does. That includes the Pro players. Its not like reading this will cause some sort of realization that they've been doing it wrong all along and they should have known better. They know. It just comes down to what they want to do with their life and for most of them that clearly has nothing to do with creating content to raise their popularity and revenue from gaming. Most are probably enjoying themselves with gaming while planning for a future that has nothing to do with Halo and furthering that with time spent doing nothing with Halo. As for the question at the end you should continue to care about Halo because you enjoy it and for no other reason.

Also the entire analogy comparing Pro players to companies and their consumers can be off in quite a few critical aspects

• Upvote (+1) 4

People would submit again if you keep us updated on it, I would definitely send you my gameplays if I knew how to send it to you/how to get in contact

I used to do top 10s when my channel had about 200 subs and I still got enough submissions because I advertised it weekly 

Unrelated, but why doesn't Pistola have a proper montage? I imagine if you took the best of his gameplay from Halo 3 - Halo 2 Anniversary it would be one of the greatest montages ever.

You are right, they dont owe me or anyone here anything. But that argument is a slippy slope my friend. Thats like saying, 343 does not owe us anything. They put out a product, and regardless if it works or not - we bought their product. There was a transaction, it was broke, we all had opportunities to return it - thats the same logic if I went and bought something broke at Target.

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. But I guess if they dont owe me anything and dont care, then why should I continue to do so? Or anyone else here?

What are you talking about? Pros aren't employees. They are barely making any money. They don't owe us shit. This isn't like pro athletes who make millions and the league depends on them to survive. 343i first and foremost has to worry about making a game people want to play and watch. Halo esports was big because a lot of people used to play it. Esports just helped the longevity.

Tbh you don't have to care. Care about the pros who do care about the community if you want. Appreciate it if they do instead of being a demanding jerk about it. Halo isn't their entire life and it would be quite pathetic if it was.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tbh I really think halo pros are just lazy they promise to upload more YT vids but they just upload 2 or 3 videos then stop. Then upload another 4 months later and analysis videos are boring if that's all you upload to your halo channel you won't get that may views. Add some variety to the videos and not just upload full gameplays.

How about reaching out to about bigger halo channels.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tbh I really think halo pros are just lazy they promise to upload more YT vids but they just upload 2 or 3 videos then stop. Then upload another 4 months later and analysis videos are boring if that's all you upload to your halo channel you won't get that may views. Add some variety to the videos and not just upload full gameplays.

How about reaching out to about bigger halo channels.

For real. I am sure some of the bigger Halo channels would love to have a pro player collaborate with them in some way. That would be a great way to get the word out that you are making content, and to get people to your channel. Heck even if you have a friend who is a pro in CoD = a potential collab. That is exactly how Flamesword grew his channel. He didn't just get views because he is linked with OpTic. He put himself out there in Nadeshots videos, scumps videos, etc. He marketed himself as "The OpTic Beard" made videos of himself playing Halo with members of the CoD team, etc. He put in the work, and it paid off. Sure He had a great opportunity with Optic, but he still put in the work. Look at @@Ace for example. He has the same opportunity as Flame in a lot of respects, but he has not taken advantage of it like he could be. He also has the benefit of being the Halo global champion or Mr. 200k. 

Another example of someone not taking full advantage IMO, is @@Ninja. I like the guy, but he doesn't use his YT as effectively as he could. When he was uploading more often his channel was growing at a pretty good rate. If he put more time into his videos, had a nice intro, a weekly vlog laying out his stream schedule for the week,  etc. I think he would see good results. People want to watch Halo content, but most of the Pro content is stale, badly edited, or just stream highlights.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's difficult for me to hold anything against any content makers, pro or not, considering that the MCC has been FUCKING BROKEN for 4+months.

This, and the fact that MCC is a collection of old games with outdated/drained metas is one of the reasons I can't blame people who have a lot of YouTube potential, not to capitalize on it right now.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it hasn't always been like this, and that at the same time, now it's a "do or die" kind of thing with all the serious orgs getting into the mix and whatnot (I'm surprised most of these orgs don't force players to make YouTube content in their contracts), but who wants to look up MCC videos, let alone competitive ones? 3 whole maps to choose from? That gets old quick. Halo pros stand a better chance making interesting content using the HCS drama than actual game footage. 

I know I was excited like never to be able to stream a game that wasn't plagued with script kiddies like Halo 3 was for years, and I was pumped to make YouTube content, but all that interest kind of faded out when the game didn't work. Not a lot of people are willing to spend hours enduring bugs and crashed for a missing audience.

I dunno, I could be just getting old and not finding as much interest in Halo anymore, but I don't find myself watching the game ever, aside from events. I don't feel like there's much left to learn or to innovate with. All of a sudden, there isn't going to be a new Lockout strat that 100% breaks stalemates, or a new shooting technique that allows you to shoot and melee at the same time over and over. I just keep up with the drama, team changes, and hope to see a new sort of powerhouse team rise out of nowhere... as for the game itself, meh. Just like seeing the occasional Snipedown rip some faces off. Not a lot of people can do that, let alone often enough to make content out if it.

I almost find myself looking forward to Halo 5 because of this.

I'd be interested in learning CE though, now if Ogre 2 just gave a shit...

Oh and don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with the post @@Unyshek, and I appreciate the fact that you went and pulled some numbers, brought up invaluable information and stuff like that. I know for a fact it'll help me in the future. But this situation just has a lot of things to factor in. However, all of this is just coming from one person who's not a "pro" (me), and I have no idea how much easier it would be to create content just because you're the one making it, as in a personality that people like to keep up with. I'm sure a lot of people like to keep up with their favorite pros and would watch just about ANYTHING from them. Can't tell for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1