FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

Sign in to follow this  
Fight

3/14 H1(OG) Open Intermediate Lan in Southern IL/STL area

I posted this in general to see if maybe other lan groups might get inspired to try this because I know we haven't in a longggg time and it seemed like a fun thing to do one last time while MCC has caused a resurgence in H1. Were hosting just a small one day lan this Saturday for several new and intermediate players to come play and meet other players of relatively the same skill locally. Some of us are just too experienced to play the newcomers and those games are no fun for either side. I want to try and let a new intermediate lan group be formed who then can progress and challenge teams or participate in lans with higher skilled players down the road. I have no problem helping players out or giving advice but I don't have the time to teach players from scratch while also weeding out casuals who have no real drive to progress once they plateau for the first time. I am also doing this because I don't like this current skewed perception of the H1 OG community all being assholes. If you have the drive to play, dont mind driving 45min(or however far) and you're not a serial killer, we'll welcome you with open arms. But truely fresh players with no H1 experience have to first progress through the basics and thats why creating a new seperate intermediate group seemed like a healthy solution and also gives the players a practical goal of competing and playing at the bigger lans. We don't want to shut the doors on anyone but most fresh players just can't hang due to the gigantic skill gap. Our whole crew(IL,MO,IN,OH,TN and fucking Bonesaw swag surfin down from MN) get together once every couple months or less for the past 8 years with players still randomly dropping in from all over to lan with us. Ya know why? Cause all of the 20+ people are all friends. We love the game and the competition it brings. I think most groups all over gave up a long time ago searching for unknown devoted players but with MCC released it has created a new oppurtunity to expand or refresh lan groups. Additionally, the big Indiana lan is next week also so if any players are interested in that you can pm finny or myself and a station there will be streamed.

tl;dr: noob lan with one advanced station. all noobs allowed so they can meet other noobs and make new noob lan group to play toward the goal of not being a noob and coming to big boy lans :lol:

Also, have any other lan groups advertised recently? Its honestly been ages since we've done this.

• Upvote (+1) 6

@@Fight, I have a group of intermediate players in Ohio that would be worth contacting for new players in that area.  We have a pretty solid setup:  4 huge CRT's big enough to quad screen comfortably, 4 OG boxes modded with H1.5 and H1 Final, and a shitload of S controllers and few dukes.  If any newish players in Ohio are interested, it'd be worth contacting my buddies back home.  I'm stationed in Hawaii, so I can only make it back for 1 or 2 LANs a year, but I bet they'd throw one without me, no problem.

This would be the best way to contact them: https://www.facebook.com/CentralOhioLANAssociation

• Upvote (+1) 1

We had about new 4 intermediate players show up, 3 new knowledgeable players with serious potential to improve, and then we had us 5 comprised of very experienced players. I was disappointed because 3 fresh players got cold feet and didn't show but we still had 3 full stations running. 2 of the already knowledgeable players will be attending our big LAN this weekend in Indiana and possibly the 3rd player also. I wish the novice players that backed out would have shown up so the pool of intermediates was a bit larger for when they get together to LAN in the future. Overall, it was a success and I loved overhearing the words, "Jesus this is so much better than MCC."

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Fight, I have a group of intermediate players in Ohio that would be worth contacting for new players in that area. We have a pretty solid setup: 4 huge CRT's big enough to quad screen comfortably, 4 OG boxes modded with H1.5 and H1 Final, and a shitload of S controllers and few dukes. If any newish players in Ohio are interested, it'd be worth contacting my buddies back home. I'm stationed in Hawaii, so I can only make it back for 1 or 2 LANs a year, but I bet they'd throw one without me, no problem.

This would be the best way to contact them: https://www.facebook.com/CentralOhioLANAssociation

Thanks for the info and I'll send it their way, but I was honestly just trying to be a one-time platform for the new guys to socialize and establish their own group and now I'm gonna step back. Once I hear the intermediates are actually lanning and committed to improving I will send them info about other groups and above average skilled players but I won't do that until I hear of real progress.

@@Fight, I have a group of intermediate players in Ohio that would be worth contacting for new players in that area. We have a pretty solid setup: 4 huge CRT's big enough to quad screen comfortably, 4 OG boxes modded with H1.5 and H1 Final, and a shitload of S controllers and few dukes. If any newish players in Ohio are interested, it'd be worth contacting my buddies back home. I'm stationed in Hawaii, so I can only make it back for 1 or 2 LANs a year, but I bet they'd throw one without me, no problem.

I live on the kentucky/tennesee border so im pretty close to ohio. Let me know the next time you guys are lanning I could go up there and game

I live on the kentucky/tennesee border so im pretty close to ohio. Let me know the next time you guys are lanning I could go up there and game

Sounds good. Join that Facebook page so we can contact you easier.

Anybody ever organize LANs in NY/New England area? I would make the drive for those... Illinois is just too far!

You should talk to Devilman about the VA LAN this year and I'm guessing he would also have some info on NY players. I'm guessing @@Patch Stay could point you in the right direction also.

Shout out to @@Fight for the invite to the LAN. Still can't believe there have been people that live so close to me lanning all this time. It was awesome playing OG again... it had been a LONG time. Look forward to playing again

• Upvote (+1) 3