Sign in to follow this  
TheSimms

HCS Season 1 Commentary Feedback

The most important thing I noticed about your commentary is that you realized your role as the play by play commentator and stuck to it. The reason you meshed so well with Walshy is that you let him do all of the analytics/colour which he should be doing.

You did a great job, and I appreciate you always looking to improve. Also appreciate the fact that, you did not raise your voice for every single play.

Also....The Florida Panthers lead 2-1.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm down with the whole European lingo. It's a cool variety when compared to the American casters, and as long as it can be understood by spectators, it works great.

The only thing we ask is that you try to slow thing down from time to time to analyze the game. Use Walshy as a base and work from there. Sometimes we just want to hear a calm discussion over the gameplay. Something great about Walshy's casting is that you can tell he isn't stressed by what is actually happening in the moment, he finishes his points then let's the play-by-play casters continue their work.

It would be awesome for you to mix in some of the analytical discussion along with your already superb Play-by-Play.

If that's not your thing, that's still fine. You and Walshy were the best duo because you were patient (not hyping up every play/kill) and he was calm in his discussions. You bring the hype when its necessary.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I remember the first time I heard you commentate a UK event you said 'Literally' every five seconds. In the HCS finals you said it far less which was awesome to see. Keep that up.

If anything i'd say the biggest let-down in commentary was not your doing in the finals. It was having two play by play commentators casting at the same time (e.g. the finals with Goldenboy and Bravo). When Walshy was with casting with you it was a perfect blend of play by play and colour commentary. No one wants to hear two guys just reiterating what we are watching. Unless there are big plays going down or the score/time limit needs to be stressed etc. i'd rather listen to guys like Walshy breaking down what is going happening. 

Good job this weekend Simms! 

This was my first time watching you commentate and you've become one of my favorites. You did great, you and Walshy are THE duo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Simms - Stay genuine. I think the main thing that stood out from your casting at the weekend was how refreshing it was to see someones actual reaction. There were moments in lesser plays when a catchphrase or two came out (and that's fine) but when something really disgusting happened your reaction was that of an actual fan which I think translated very well.

• Walshy - Forget almost everything about professional casting, sit there and speak that's all you need to do. The worst part of your casting is when you attempt to structure it in a presentable way you tend to fall back on patterns of speech "Well, what's he's thinking here is... OK [the point you want to make]". Also I think given your position as a previous player you can provide context to the game that all the other casters can't - be honest and where appropriate critical.

Goldenboy - Keep casting Halo, every event if you can. By far the most improved caster over season 1, I think you know what you need to do to improve and it's all about getting intertwined with the community so you don't get brushed aside / overlooked. It's going to take is time for yourself and then time for the viewers to get acclimated but if DDK can crowbar his way into casting mainstream CSGO (and being popular), this should be a piece of cake.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Mispronunciation - A few times i was going abit to fast and pronounced certain words/player names wrong. #Loy

You weren't the only one, Walshy had the same problem #Str8Rick

If I get on stream at iSeries again you better be casting this time! :P

If only you could have been announcing at Gamers for Giving when APG launched his YOLO ROCKET for the win.

Is there a video of that? Or can I rewatch the whole G4G event somewhere?

On Topic: You did an awesome job! I havent had so much fun watching Halo in a long long time! 

Thank you all once again for the kind words and for the feedback, going to be lurking on beyond a lot more!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone get Bravo to SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. Also after games end every time someone is breaking down a game (aka Walshy) it seems like everyone just says "uh huh. Yea. Exactly" as if they aren't even listening to Walshy at all.

Like damn if Walshy says "The pivotal part of the match was Ninja dropping bottom mid and getting killed with camo" you better say something like "I agree, staying top mid or at least above ground being sneaky would have been the better play" instead of "Exactly."

Simms and Walshy were without a doubt the best commentator duo I've seen since the MLG events. I don't have anything else to point out that hasn't already but you guys killed it this past weekend. You guys just worked so well and how a commentator duo should be - one guy doing play by play and one guy doing colour commentary. You would stop when Walshy would start talking about strategy and sometimes give your own input and then continue to do play by play and that's just awesome.

As for Goldenboy and Bravo - you guys are great casters on your own, truly but when you are together, it just does not work. You are both play by play guys and you are just competing to repeat what the players can already see on screen. I recall a few occasions were you would interrupt each other to just say what the other person was going to say.

Also, when someone gets a multi-kill, you both don't need to scream with "OHHHHH" or "OH MY GODDDD" and all that stuff. I can totally tell you're excited as both a fan and a commentator but keep it cool, let everyone know what just happened and what multi-kill they just got - this is really important since Halo 2 Anniversary's kill feed and medals don't stay on the screen for that long. Let people know how many players are dead and what pushes they should be making to capitalize on it.

When Goldenboy and Bravo are paired with a colour commentator like Walshy, it works so well and without a doubt lets the best of both of you shine through.

---

Overall, we need another colour commentator in the mix alongside Walshy and it should always be colour/play by play and never be colour/colour or play by play/play by play. I'm seriously excited for Season 2 and what the commentary can bring to the intense games.

Thank you all once again for the kind words and for the feedback, going to be lurking on beyond a lot more!

If Beyond likes you, you've pretty much made it

• Upvote (+1) 3

One thing that bothers me is a team could be capping a flag and we have no clue until you see the team has scored. Show the flag run or the bomb plant. Sometimes they caster wont even be away that a flag cap is happening until is pops up on the screen. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@TheSimms Loved the European accent and enthusiasm- "The B-AAAAHR!" 

The European + american accents was money- It makes the scope of Halo look much bigger, like a global sport (which it really is.) 

In short, You kept me entertained and into the game brother. Good job!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please take longer than two sentences to wrap up a close game. In the Vibe vs Noble series, game 1 was fkn amazing, sick plays by everyone and it ended with, 'good job by vibe, game two is...'

• Upvote (+1) 1

Like damn if Walshy says "The pivotal part of the match was Ninja dropping bottom mid and getting killed with camo" you better say something like "I agree, staying top mid or at least above ground being sneaky would have been the better play" instead of "Exactly."

Please take longer than two sentences to wrap up a close game. In the Vibe vs Noble series, game 1 was fkn amazing, sick plays by everyone and it ended with, 'good job by vibe, game two is...'

I think these points go hand in hand and I will ensure to work on both, cheers guys!

Also, maybe an analyst desk would completely resolve this, possibly make it even better?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everybody is doing a great job and we all appreciate the work you've all put into it. That said, each caster besides Bravo has some phrases that they say too much, and it can be very distracting:

Simms: "literally", especially when the sentence is patently not literal. "Roy is LITERALLY on fire!" drives me nuts.

Goldenboy: Will such-and-such "be the case"? Just a little awkward

Walshy: "We've seen it time and time again...". Gotta tone this one down man!

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is less of commentary feedback and more of production feedback.

I mentioned this to Walshy in passing after the LB Finals That Never Ends, but the transition animation of the HCS logo that takes 1-2 seconds and obscures the game:

This was basically only used during games for Listen-Ins, which is generally ok... but it became really annoying when it was used in the final seconds of the Overtime matches between CLG & Noble Black. We missed the game tying kill I believe during one of them just because of the animation.

Anyways, my suggestion boils down to: lose the logo animation for transitions in the final 30-60 seconds of a game. 

Commentary was all pretty fantastic; you guys are already aware of some of the more repetitive stuff. And I realize that an event running this many matches will have some repeated phrases. At first, Simms, your "This is what competitive Halo is all about" irked me when it was repeated a bunch, but it's hard to complain when you're technically right every time you say it. :)

Walshy is my favorite because of his additional insight and game knowledge, but It pleases me to not have a "least favorite" HCS caster from the Finals crew.

• Upvote (+1) 1