CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Legit question: Is DDos a Halo problem or an Xbox One problem? Does CoD have this problem? I also don't remember this being nearly as big of a problem in previous Halo titles.

Legit question: Is DDos a Halo problem or an Xbox One problem? Does CoD have this problem? I also don't remember this being nearly as big of a problem in previous Halo titles.

I know in Halo MM, p2p connection makes it possible to obtain a players IP address. Not sure how they obtain it through lobbies but H5 is apparently dedicated servers at every level so this issue should be cleared up..

it can happen in any game. People started doing it alot in Halo back in the H2 days to win games and rank up. It was very common in H2 and H3. Not so much in reach and halo 4 due to there being no ranks. 

idk about cod

It's been a known issue since at least Reach (2011). It's just getting (even) more public attention recently because it's impacting tournaments.

My 2cents, People keep harping on VPN for these cups or IP changes. This has happened in CS:GO people learned to remove external people from their friends list, but even then it didn't help.

As a IT Technician with years of experience it's not that easy. VPN for Xbox will literally make your game experience 10x worse. Changing your IP is not that simple, a good number of companies use Static IP's, meaning it's specific IP set forth by the company and can't be changed by normal means. DHCP IP's is a little easier but doesn't focus this over arching problem of DDoS.

My suggestion, the use of Twitch.TV's Delay Broadcast system. I understand the majority of the community is always interactive but would you rather sacrifice hours of time waiting for IP resets or for a DDoS to stop OR would you rather sacrifice a couple hours worth of interactions?

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's been a known issue since at least Reach (2011). It's just getting (even) more public attention recently because it's impacting tournaments.

It's been happening since Halo 2 it was called IP Flooding then.

• Upvote (+1) 1

DDoS is a problem for anything hosted on the internet that children decide to take down. Literally every gaming platform everywhere has been getting hit offline more and more often since people are becoming more and more aware of just how easy it is to do.

My 2cents, People keep harping on VPN for these cups or IP changes. This has happened in CS:GO people learned to remove external people from their friends list, but even then it didn't help.

As a IT Technician with years of experience it's not that easy. VPN for Xbox will literally make your game experience 10x worse. Changing your IP is not that simple, a good number of companies use Static IP's, meaning it's specific IP set forth by the company and can't be changed by normal means. DHCP IP's is a little easier but doesn't focus this over arching problem of DDoS.

My suggestion, the use of Twitch.TV's Delay Broadcast system. I understand the majority of the community is always interactive but would you rather sacrifice hours of time waiting for IP resets or for a DDoS to stop OR would you rather sacrifice a couple hours worth of interactions?

Awesome first post. 

Until we truly have dedicated servers (Halo 5), and people take 10 minutes to read a skype VPN tutorial and set it up correctly while they are streaming, then this will continue to be a problem.

In Halo it is honestly pretty mild.  CS:GO is pretty bad, and LoL is terrible as well for this type of crap.

Awesome first post. 

Until we truly have dedicated servers (Halo 5), and people take 10 minutes to read a skype VPN tutorial and set it up correctly while they are streaming this will continue to be a problem.

In Halo it is honestly pretty mild.  CS:GO is pretty bad, and LoL is terrible as well for this type of crap.

This is 100% not a skype problem today. 

Question: Is there a Appear Offline in H2A or in the settings for Xbox?

Question: Is there a Appear Offline in H2A or in the settings for Xbox?

Yeah. Settings->About Me-> Appear offline

I remember back in the day a certain undesirable character in Halo: Reach would stream snipe everyone and match them in MM, and save everyones IP in a notepad document lol.

I also heard you could get it through someones IP through their Twitch stream page? Not sure how accurate that is.

I agree, I've seen what the Denial team is doing. The action they're taking is correct procedure. What some people fail to also not notice is that your IP can be taken from a MCC party

I remember back in the day a certain undesirable character in Halo: Reach would stream snipe everyone and match them in MM, and save everyones IP in a notepad document lol.

I also heard you could get it through someones IP through their Twitch stream page? Not sure how accurate that is.

The last part is untrue unless they have access to your dashboard

Who here remembers THIS era? And this song that I just had to dig out again. F ing kickass.

• Upvote (+1) 5

last week was better. If i recall correctly. It finally felt the pros had figured out how to avoid getting hit.

However right now the Winterfox v. Denial series is horrendous.

Yeah. Settings->About Me-> Appear offline

There is in the settings.

EDIT: L8

Wouldn't this fix the problem?

Who here remembers THIS era? And this song that I just had to dig out again. F ing kickass.

as much as MLG was great. Many things that MLG did hurt Halo in the long run.

Look at the CoD community right now. They are suffering greatly by MLG's move to monopolize CoD tournaments.

The same happened to Halo when MLG moved to monopolize and control it.

I think we are in a much better position now moving forward with a developer ran league. Lets hope we can get out of the mess that was MCC and continue to grow.

• Upvote (+1) 5

last week was better. If i recall correctly. It finally felt the pros had figured out how to avoid getting hit.

However right now the Winterfox v. Denial series is horrendous.

Well, Chig just started streaming, and he's the one getting hit...

as much as MLG was great. Many things that MLG did hurt Halo in the long run.

Fair point, MLG did monoplize the scene. Is it better now that MLG has (by the way) been away from Halo since basically 2011/2012? No, not at all. Not by a long shot.

MLG's resources meant quality broadcasting which the smaller organisors (albeit higher in numbers) can't match. Also, it meant a broader audience was watching due to MLG's recognition.

MLG LEAVING hurt the scene, not it having been there in the first place.

My post was mainly about the cool song btw : )