CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

None of the maps in the HCS playlist are flaming skull maps. The spawns on Warlord are the worst.

The Flaming Skull Warlord is the one that had "always spawn health pack" in objective -- it was reverted to the original.  So any spawns you're seeing on Warlord should be identical to what you're seeing in your scrims / tournaments, unless you/your opponents/your party leader is using the wrong map.

Coming from someone who plays playlist every day (even before the patch), the Warlord map was definitely changed. Before the patch, nobody ever spawned flag. Now everyone spawns flag.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Late night Winter fox and The other guys scrim going on. 1-1 so far.

Finished with The Other Guys up 2-1. They had to quit out of game 4 with WFX up 1-0 in a flag game.

Ninja was playing some of the best halo I've seen from him. Spartan was making big plays all night too.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Good scrims from The Other Guys. They look pretty decent and have good team chem. I know it's online, but so are the next 5 or 6 money tournaments.  :kappa:

Vid from Spartan.

• Upvote (+1) 4

when is the next cup?

The cup is every weekend. Saturday and Sunday. Sunday will probably peak your interest more, its when the top teams come into play.

Vid from Spartan.

I hadn't actually watched Spartan play before. Kid's a beast, and if he doesn't properly break out in H2A, he sure as heck will in H5.

I'm really liking this "The Other Guys" team.

They're rough at the moment, but show flashes of great potential.  I also like that they're constructive after each game and have positive attitudes going into each game.  I really hope they stick together for the long run.  I can see great things coming from them if they do.  I can't wait to see what they do after they've practiced and started getting some more chemistry with one another.

Denial looked on point against them too.  Mikwen is really shining this season.  That guy is a monster, especially so with a sniper rifle in hand.  APG is just plain nasty and rarely loses 1v1 battles with players.  This is my pick, currently, for the team that is going to be 1st and 2nd all season along with EG.  Maybe that's obvious, but I think they have really cleaned up their game and consistency from last season.  Exciting things are coming from this Denial squad.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Spartan was on point.

I was figuring him to be more objective based, but he really shined as a slayer.  It was nice to see.

Chig and heinz do the dirty work while APG brute forces and takes all attention towards himself and mikwen picks people off. It works.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Chig and heinz do the dirty work while APG brute forces and takes all attention towards himself and mikwen picks people off. It works.

Almost the same setup as CLG, except CLG has 2x less-aggressive Mikwens, and 0x APG style players. *Sigh*

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spartan was on point.

I was figuring him to be more objective based, but he really shined as a slayer.  It was nice to see.

He's definitely not an objective-based player.  He's entirely slayer-focused, to the point that he can tunnel on slaying at times.  He's aggressive and doesn't necessarily position well, but in the case of that linked Winterfox Hill game, it doesn't matter if the enemy team is 3-4 dead the entire game.

Did a write-up analysis as I watched the game and didn't mark any bad plays from Spartan in that game, just one that I disagreed with (keeping Snipe at Snipe tower during E hill; better to go Open ramp, where you can ensure enemies are going to spawn Blue or Snipe tower and have either ONE path into hill (from Snipe tower) or go Elbow or Blue Bridge (where they'll run into your Sniper sightline).

If that game wasn't so one-sided and the write-up wasn't just full of compliments, I'd share it, but there's really no point since there's nothing apart from the above worth noting.  Just good play out of Spartan and the rest of his team that game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's definitely not an objective-based player.  He's entirely slayer-focused, to the point that he can tunnel on slaying at times.  He's aggressive and doesn't necessarily position well, but in the case of that linked Winterfox Hill game, it doesn't matter if the enemy team is 3-4 dead the entire game.

Did a write-up analysis as I watched the game and didn't mark any bad plays from Spartan in that game, just one that I disagreed with (keeping Snipe at Snipe tower during E hill; better to go Open ramp, where you can ensure enemies are going to spawn Blue or Snipe tower and have either ONE path into hill (from Snipe tower) or go Elbow or Blue Bridge (where they'll run into your Sniper sightline).

If that game wasn't so one-sided and the write-up wasn't just full of compliments, I'd share it, but there's really no point since there's nothing apart from the above worth noting.  Just good play out of Spartan and the rest of his team that game.

Agree completely.

I may have worded my meaning incorrectly.  I meant that when I heard the team lineup that I assumed he would be more of a "dirty work" player as someone said above about Chig/Heinz.  I wasn't fully familiar with Spartan at the time and hadn't seen this side of his play style.  He's definitely, IMO, The Other Guys' version of APG.

Do you do these write-up analyses often? Is there a place you regularly post them? I'd be interested in reading.

Do you do these write-up analyses often? Is there a place you regularly post them? I'd be interested in reading.

I'd do them more if pros uploaded more of their gameplay.

Since MCC doesn't let people fileshare films, I can't exactly go and cherry pick stuff.

I'd do them more if pros uploaded more of their gameplay.

Since MCC doesn't let people fileshare films, I can't exactly go and cherry pick stuff.

I see. What about using the rebroadcasts of streams?

Agree completely.

I may have worded my meaning incorrectly.  I meant that when I heard the team lineup that I assumed he would be more of a "dirty work" player as someone said above about Chig/Heinz.  I wasn't fully familiar with Spartan at the time and hadn't seen this side of his play style.  He's definitely, IMO, The Other Guys' version of APG.

I still think you're off in your assessment -- Ninja definitely assumed that playstyle while playing with Cloud 9, and though I haven't watched him with TOG yet, I think it's a safe assumption he still carries that torch.

From watching Spartan while coaching eLevate (and for a while after I stopped coaching them) he isn't QUITE the "hold forward and just out BR people who get in my way" player APG is.  He played a more "I saw a squirrel, I'm going to hunt that fucking squirrel down and gut it for dinner." sort of style.  Spartan is a guy who will thrive more when funneled power weapons, while APG is at his best when all he has is his BR.  (That's not to say Spartan's BR isn't good, he's a fantastic shot across the board.  Nor am I saying you should never let APG touch a power weapon.  Just, they're better than most of their peers in those other jobs.)

Either way, he's seemed to me to be 100% a slayer-oriented player.  I think there's going to be issue with the combination of him+Ninja+Shooter against teams more capable of dealing with their slaying.  As a high aggression team, it's all or nothing.  When they get ahead, they'll be able to press advantages and stay ahead.  If they fall behind, it will be substantially more difficult, and will likely lead to someone on the team getting frustrated.  Ultimately, I think this roster is a weaker version of the Pre-Ola Cloud 9 roster, though I'd be pleasantly surprised to see their dedication to the game pay off and yield results beyond my predictions.

I see. What about using the rebroadcasts of streams?

I could probably manage that.  Just a concern of the time commitment involved, and accessibility for those reading the analysis.  It's a lot easier to correspond feedback to a single YT video (low numbers on the timestamp) whereas with a Twitch stream, linking to specific times several hours into a stream leads to some loading issues on occasion.

Either way, he's seemed to me to be 100% a slayer-oriented player.  I think there's going to be issue with the combination of him+Ninja+Shooter against teams more capable of dealing with their slaying.  As a high aggression team, it's all or nothing.  When they get ahead, they'll be able to press advantages and stay ahead.  If they fall behind, it will be substantially more difficult, and will likely lead to someone on the team getting frustrated.  Ultimately, I think this roster is a weaker version of the Pre-Ola Cloud 9 roster, though I'd be pleasantly surprised to see their dedication to the game pay off and yield results beyond my predictions.

I've watched all of TOG's scrims so far, and it seems as though they have Shooter taking up the objective player mantle. Which is pretty strange, given what you and others have said about his playing style and strengths. I guess someone has to do it--I just figured it would be mainly Aries.

I could probably manage that.  Just a concern of the time commitment involved, and accessibility for those reading the analysis.  It's a lot easier to correspond feedback to a single YT video (low numbers on the timestamp) whereas with a Twitch stream, linking to specific times several hours into a stream leads to some loading issues on occasion.

Yea, that makes sense. I was interested because I'm trying to improve my knowledge of in-game strategies, decision-making, etc. But I'm sure there are other avenues for that.