CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I guess the discretion is are we considering top 8 players or top 16 players pro. Obviously back in the MLG days it was top 16 but with the decreased amount of competition I find it harder to label players outside the top 8 as pro, that might just be me though. Still the Sudds do seem to be a launchpad for people's careers. 

On another note I'm happy to see Burton go back where he belongs, eR will rise again.

I consider someone who makes enough money to live off of a pro.

• Upvote (+1) 1

From reading these last few pages, a few people care way too much about "rep".

• Upvote (+1) 3

Excited to see end result come back together. Didn't think that they would be back for Season 2. Always a fun team to watch.

From reading these last few pages, a few people care way too much about "rep".

I think that just naturally happens when a website introduces a way to gain/lose points and then displays that number. Some people will always care. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Got teamed up with Flamesword and MBoze last night, tweeted out the scoreboard and asked for a contract, get rekt by Flamesword saying I couldn't outslay a CoD pro, then got steaked by Golden Girls team of 4.

I love HCS ranked so much.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I saw a post a while ago about specific traits of players needed to win. It's not one aggressive obj player, one slayer/support, one heavy slayer, and one do anything type. It's four well rounded players doing whatever it takes to win. I was a slayer in 2008, and won because the game hadn't evolved yet. Look what that role got me by the end of Halo 3/during Halo: Reach events, and look where I am now that my playstyle can't be defined by something as simple as "slayer"

Slayer? You are the Sniper ffs...

...and the best in the world.  :bravo:

I saw a post a while ago about specific traits of players needed to win. It's not one aggressive obj player, one slayer/support, one heavy slayer, and one do anything type. It's four well rounded players doing whatever it takes to win. I was a slayer in 2008, and won because the game hadn't evolved yet. Look what that role got me by the end of Halo 3/during Halo: Reach events, and look where I am now that my playstyle can't be defined by something as simple as "slayer"

This is what i have been saying for quite some time  :bman:   +rep :)

• Upvote (+1) 9

Well I let the pros teach me but at least one more or less set "role" seems to exist: the person who will primarily take the sniper off spawn. Also, I see some players outright avoiding the sniper and giving it to a better sniper on the team. Other than that gameplay is mostly situational, for sure.

Everyone should be able to do what it takes, yes.  But it's a recurring trend that their most common playstyles fit the outline I mentioned.  Sure, you run flags when you're in position to...but compared to Lunchbox, Heinz, Ryanoob, Naded, or Flamesword...how often are you in position to?  I don't make those posts about actual roles, I make them about tendencies.  Those tendencies are common because that's the player's comfort zone, where they play best.

Sure, you're probably not going to win if only one person does objective.  That's a given.  But when you have one person that naturally positions himself to get to the objective, one that naturally just draws any and all attention to himself, and another that sits back Sniping...it makes it a lot easier on the Sniper because there's no pressure on him.

In your case now, versus then...you've got a coach that greatly understands the concept of Spacing (or basically "covering each others' angles without walking up each others' asses") -- in listen-ins, you can hear Towey call out "Go help Roy" or "Watch Lunchbox" or "Go to Carbine." -- it's a lot easier to be more fluid in your usual playstyle when someone is offering suggestions in game.

It's not black-and-white "you must have these types of players to win" -- but in nearly every tournament case I've observed since I started watching in 2008, this trend is reflected.  The only real exception was 2010 Final Boss' 3-peat, where Ogre 2, FiS, VicX, and Ola didn't really fit those cases, but were just players that were on fire all the time.

Being labeled by your tendencies isn't an insult to your gameplay; it's simply analysis.

Why aren't you coaching a top team? Your knowledge of the game is amazing. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think that just naturally happens when a website introduces a way to gain/lose points and then displays that number. Some people will always care. 

It's definitely nice to have, for example when I post stats, the rep to me serves as a simple "thank you". That makes the time it took to do them worth it, as I know it's something people like to see and it's appreciated. It's just like the number next to your name in Halo, everyone likes having a good rank, it's just you shouldn't take it super seriously and to heart like a few do with plus and minus rep.

We have no doubt moved past these "roles", but there is no question that some players focus on/are better at slaying, some objective, some being support roles etc and whatever other role name you can think of. It's not like you're choosing a class and have to stick to it, they're more play styles than roles at this point.

@@CyReN @@Moa

Thoughts? Personally I think it's a good/smart idea if done right/handled correctly.

Seems really premature in my opinion.  Launch something like that when Halo eSports actually has traction (Halo 5). Not during a low period when the game is still not functioning at 100%.

Not against the idea in general, but timing is important.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

This has been what people have been saying since the H3 days.

The conversation is always that 'no longer can you be a this or that player, but you have to be able to do everything.

Then it's said again a year later.

And again

And again.

It's a running theme.

But the reality of what's going on is much more like TiberiusAudley is saying.  Everyone does everything, do a degree, but everyone has their comfort zone.

Seems really premature in my opinion.  Launch something like that when Halo eSports actually has traction (Halo 5). Not during a low period when the game is still not functioning at 100%.

Not against the idea in general, but timing is important.  

I disagree; wouldn't it be better to have these social platforms and systems figured out and 100% ready to go as soon as Halo 5 drops? There's going to be a huge marketing push around H5, and that launch window will be the best time to grab new fans. I wouldn't want to risk trying to figure out promotion strategies and/or launch anything else new when Halo has the most eyes on it. Work the kinks out now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree; wouldn't it be better to have these social platforms and systems figured out and 100% ready to go as soon as Halo 5 drops? There's going to be a huge marketing push around H5, and that launch window will be the best time to grab new fans. I wouldn't want to risk trying to figure out promotion strategies and/or launch anything else new when Halo has the most eyes on it. Work the kinks out now.

Not to sound like an ass, but this stuff really isn't rocket science when it comes to social media and advertising your tournaments and league. It really comes down to effort and listening to the community, which can be a heavily discussed subject on here with them.

If the same effort is put into a secondary twitter before events, then it really isn't going to make a difference.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Everyone should be able to do what it takes, yes.  But it's a recurring trend that their most common playstyles fit the outline I mentioned.  Sure, you run flags when you're in position to...but compared to Lunchbox, Heinz, Ryanoob, Naded, or Flamesword...how often are you in position to?  I don't make those posts about actual roles, I make them about tendencies.  Those tendencies are common because that's the player's comfort zone, where they play best.

Sure, you're probably not going to win if only one person does objective.  That's a given.  But when you have one person that naturally positions himself to get to the objective, one that naturally just draws any and all attention to himself, and another that sits back Sniping...it makes it a lot easier on the Sniper because there's no pressure on him.

In your case now, versus then...you've got a coach that greatly understands the concept of Spacing (or basically "covering each others' angles without walking up each others' asses") -- in listen-ins, you can hear Towey call out "Go help Roy" or "Watch Lunchbox" or "Go to Carbine." -- it's a lot easier to be more fluid in your usual playstyle when someone is offering suggestions in game.

It's not black-and-white "you must have these types of players to win" -- but in nearly every tournament case I've observed since I started watching in 2008, this trend is reflected.  The only real exception was 2010 Final Boss' 3-peat, where Ogre 2, FiS, VicX, and Ola didn't really fit those cases, but were just players that were on fire all the time.

Being labeled by your tendencies isn't an insult to your gameplay; it's simply analysis.

I agree with you on everything but 2010 Final Boss. FiS was their main slayer&sniper and Vic X was more OBJ oriented than his team. It really depends on the map & game type though(same thing with EG).

It really isnt hard to run social media, in fact I believe there are 1-2 people who are literally paid just to post tweets and write articles at 343.

- Use Tweetdeck

- Schedule tweets everyday, space them out.

- post content relevant to your audience. 

- use tracking links to see what people click on, and what people do not.

- attach pictures to your tweets to make them more interesting, Pictures usually lead to a higher engagement rate / click through.

Social platform learned.

Launching a dedicated Halo eSports account during the Halo 5 hype wave will allow that twitter account to ride that hype wave. Best option, but thats just my opinion.

I really don't know why I am even posting about this, either way I know they will only the account once in a blue moon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ryan showin love ;)

What is Alpha Strange doing now, does he no longer play halo. Also do you know if he ever dropped a montage?

I consider someone who makes enough money to live off of a pro.

Consistent Top 8 placing = Pro. As a community, we have been excessively debating this, which is completely unnecessary.