CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

To be fair to Mikwen, it really did look like he should have gotten the kill lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

haha No. More like 2011 Instinct RoyBox. 

Has any team won 8 money tourneys in a row?

StK/Team 3D/Final Boss won 23 Halo tournaments out of 31 from 2003-2008, they won 8 in a row on LAN during Halo 2. EG has a hell of a run going on so far, but it's going to be hard to match that kind of success. With that too, the competition back them was a lot more than now.

Source.

Holy hell. Amazing. Yeah, good luck with that one EG. I guess the only thing they could do is win 9 in a row for a new streak record?

Also, Naded and Ghost posted in that thread. Don't think I've seen Ghost post since I've joined. Maybe Naded once or twice? :(

Holy hell. Amazing. Yeah, good luck with that one EG. I guess the only thing they could do is win 9 in a row for a new streak record?

Also, Naded and Ghost posted in that thread. Don't think I've seen Ghost post since I've joined. Maybe Naded once or twice? :(

Not to take anything away from how hard online can be on players and teams, I can't compare a possible 9 wins in a row with online/lan to 8 LAN with StK/3D/FB. LAN is such a big difference when it comes to competitive Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair to Mikwen, it really did look like he should have gotten the kill lol.

Did not mean to neg. Apologies.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think one of the reasons C9 did so well this weekend was because Victory didn't have to whisper.

I feel like during online scrims, the rest of C9 (especially Pistola) sort of compensated for Victory's whispering. So in a way they were handicapping themselves online. It'd be like running with ankle weights versus running without them. I know the difference of playing online versus on LAN was a bigger reason (especially for Hysteria and Pistola), but I think Victory's communication is top tier and we don't really talk about it. 

Also, shame we didn't see EG play C9 this weekend (C9 knocked into losers by CLG, then knocked out by Denial). EG probably wins, but I was really looking forward to Pistola playing his old team.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not to take anything away from how hard online can be on players and teams, I can't compare a possible 9 wins in a row with online/lan to 8 LAN with StK/3D/FB. LAN is such a big difference when it comes to competitive Halo.

Yeah, shit, I completely skimmed over the word LAN. 

It's not really comparable then. 8 LAN wins in a row is nuts. 

Did not mean to neg. Apologies.

No problem, sir.

Also I'm not sure how players like Lunch, Heinz and Victory (to name a few) are still going under the radar. Victory won the last three H3 events including the national championship of course, and this was when the competition between the top 8 was fierce.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Congrats on EG for winning, Denial for really impressing everyone and giving them an amazing finals. C9 showed up and made a lot of great changes and Winterfox for placing top4. wish we didnt have to play them both so early and played another team for top8. Had fun tho

I would like to see some testing on sanctuary maybe for Koth or something, I feel with that gametype, it will allow teams to setup and control one side of a map to get ready for new hills kind of like Pit KOTH back in H3. Also maybe a forge edit for blue team on lockdown because you spawn with no weapons where red team can shoot down snipe and gets sword and library control, also I think oddball should go up to 250 score not 200.

What do you guys think?

• Upvote (+1) 9

Congrats on EG for winning, Denial for really impressing everyone and giving them an amazing finals. C9 showed up and made a lot of great changes and Winterfox for placing top4. wish we didnt have to play them both so early and played another team for top8. Had fun tho

I would like to see some testing on sanctuary maybe for Koth or something, I feel with that gametype, it will allow teams to setup and control one side of a map to get ready for new hills kind of like Pit KOTH back in H3. Also maybe a forge edit for blue team on lockdown because you spawn with no weapons where red team can shoot down snipe and gets sword and library control, also I think oddball should go up to 250 score not 200.

What do you guys think?

I would rather see 3 Plots on Shrine than KotH.

I would rather see 3 Plots on Shrine than KotH.

I wonder why they don't test 3 Plots in the HCS when they are willing to test Ricochet. I know nothing about the status of Ricochet in H5, but 3 Plots has a bit in common with Strongholds in H5, and there's a decent chance that it will be used in the H5 competitive settings.

why doesn't odd ball work on shrine?

Oddball really needs the ability to "play" the ball to be successful - whether that's a Hard Play like Lockout where the ball resets to spawn, or a Soft Play like Warlord or Midship clones where there's a wide open low area of the map that you will likely take damage if you blindly pursue the ball.

Shrine is too segregated and large -- if the ball is on one side of the map, the team with the ball has an ENORMOUS advantage -- and short of a full wipe, it's going to be much harder to wrestle control back... and once control is taken from you... there's little way to mitigate those pains... sort of the Rocks side play area... which isn't enough to really warrant the map to be in consideration.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wonder why they don't test 3 Plots in the HCS when they are willing to test Ricochet. I know nothing about the status of Ricochet in H5, but 3 Plots has a bit in common with Strongholds in H5, and there's a decent chance that it will be used in the H5 competitive settings.

they tested ricochet b/c its an easy gametype to understand for casual viewers. its like soccer/football/basketball. For the casual viewer the can understand that very quickly.  This is the same reason why uplink was pushed and forced into competitive CoD. Most of CoD community did not like uplink initially. However as a spectator I enjoy watching it. Many of the CoD community have come to like the gametype as well.

Same reason why the new Halo 5 gamemode "Breakpoint" is being added and developed. I dont like it however it is meant to make the game more spectator friendly.

i dont see ricochet working in halo. Maybe if they decrease throwing distance, shrink the scoring zone, and with the right map you can make it work. However like I said I don't see it fitting.

StK/Team 3D/Final Boss won 23 Halo tournaments out of 31 from 2003-2008, they won 8 in a row on LAN during Halo 2. EG has a hell of a run going on so far, but it's going to be hard to match that kind of success. With that too, the competition back them was a lot more than now.

Source.

I won't really ever compare us to FB, but I disagree with you when you say there was more competition back then. The game has evolved, and players and what it means to be a team are better than they were back then. Back then, there weren't even mics on headphones, communication is 10x what it was
  • Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I won't really ever compare us to FB, but I disagree with you when you say there was more competition back then. The game has evolved, and players and what it means to be a team are better than they were back then. Back then, there weren't even mics on headphones, communication is 10x what it was

While you're in this thread: Get Celeste to do interviews at LANs pls.  :ghost:

back then players played more on split screen and it was more screen watching then talking. (during hce days).

I think competition peaked during h3. Right now competition is pretty good but there is a significant drop in talent as you get passed top 6 teams.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know I definitely respect your opinions, I just think events with 256 or so teams at event coupled with open bracket/split screen etc made a big difference regarding competition overall. Like @@NinjaWuu said about current teams, there are about 6 really good teams then the teams drop off pretty dramatically, when in Halo 2/3 you could see 12-16 really really good teams.

We also have to factor in competitive Halo downward spiral since the end of Halo 3/players getting older and leaving the scene. It's really a matter of if's with that, but a lot have quit between MLG dropping Halo and the beginning of the HCS, which adds in another factor of possible competition.

Either way, I like the current crop of top players and teams, glad to see competitive Halo back, let's hope the tournaments continue to improve going into Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You know I definitely respect your opinions, I just think events with 256 or so teams coupled with open bracket/split screen etc made a big difference regarding competition. Like @@NinjaWuu said about current teams, there are about 6 really good teams then the teams drop off pretty dramatically, when in Halo 2/3 you could see 12-16 really really good teams.

We also have to factor in competitive Halo downward spiral since the end of Halo 3/players getting older and leaving the scene. It's really a matter of if's with that, but a lot have quit between MLG dropping Halo and the beginning of the HCS, which adds in another factor of possible competition.

Either way, I like the current crop of top players and teams, glad to see competitive Halo back, let's hope the tournaments continue to improve going into Halo 5.

Ehhh I don't know about 12-16 it probably peaked in H3 for a few events with 7 or so great teams and 4 teams that could realistically take 7th/8th that weren't already seeded there but those teams weren't ever really going to see top 6 without something crazy going on. There was definitely more competition for slots in the top 16 in general but the top end has always been pretty locked down by the pros that currently reside there outside of a few fringe cases over the years

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is just for an example. This is based from MLG Orlando 2010, look at the top 8 out of the top 16 for that event. The level of competition was clearly harder to try and make it pro. For this season 2 of the HCS I think there's more than 8 top teams that go to each event, but it just comes down to who actually show's up for the event. The multiple online tourney's in my opinion will help out some teams edge out coming towards season 2 finals.

Rank Final Standings        

1st (4) Instinct - Cloud- Lunchbox Roy elamitewarrior

2nd (6) UoR Classic - Soldi3r187 TiZoXiC Chig GH057ayame

3rd (7) Final Boss - Victory X .Totz. FearItSelf OGRE2

4th (8) Status Quo - FlamesworD. Asssault eNabLe lx Ace xl

5th (5) Believe The Hype -  MaNiiaC Destin. D3M0N-D a Pure Gangster

6th (1) Triggers Down - SK iGotUrPisto1a Hysteria Neighbor

7th (10) Darkest Hour - TwYLighT AnT [AsK]LeGeNd Cpt Anarchy

8th (2) Str8 Rippin - Tsquared Snipedown .Heinz. Legit

9th (9) Heaven and Earth KillerDrewDS -CIutch- Naded Karma

10th (13) Active Rush IceVayne ~Aries~ I FrOsty I Mimic

11th (3) Carbon Walshy Defy StrongSide BesT MaN

12th (14) Warriors Kevori Sypher. -Goofy- zNightMarE.

13th (11) Category 5 Thrust. Robbie.B ZooWuu Arkanum.

14th (19) Adrenaline rush a.realygoodnoob 7sblaze JeRawockee Dubay

15th (16) Ambush l BaTMaYnE l SeVeRiNcE GuN_ShoT Eli

16th (15) Chilled Reality Gilkey Elumnite ThuggishKlLLA I CallMeGod I

• Upvote (+1) 3

You know I definitely respect your opinions, I just think events with 256 or so teams coupled with open bracket/split screen etc made a big difference regarding competition. Like @@NinjaWuu said about current teams, there are about 6 really good teams then the teams drop off pretty dramatically, when in Halo 2/3 you could see 12-16 really really good teams.

I agree with Snipedown.

I am not sure how people think the H2 scene when a team wins 8 straight LANs is more competitive than H3 or halo now.

There was a higher chance that a top 8 team could win during H3, or even now, than during most H2 years. I believe that means that the wins are harder to come by. This may be because the games had less of a skill gap, or just the teams. Either way, it doesn't matter. It is harder for teams to repeat wins.

I think that by definition means the competition is stiffer. I wouldn't really look at the number of "registered" teams. Or numbers at all really.

• Upvote (+1) 1