CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

A few things need to happen if Ricochet is going to be a viable gametype.

-Throw distance must be toned down. Should not be able to score it from where it spawns on any map.

-Non-random rotating ball spawns. This forces teams to rotate and hold different areas of the map.

-Run in scores should be worth at least 2x more than a throw in.

-Scoring zones need to be smaller and possibly elevated. This makes throw ins require at least a tiny bit of skill or patience.

Right now the gametype consists of holding bottom mid, throwing the ball in the direction of the goal, rinse and repeat. Throws take no skill because the ball can roll in and the zones are big. In order for it to work it needs to be slowed down (shorter throws, smaller goals, rotating spawns), and needs to have more skillful mechanics.

Solid points. A hail mary throw should be a big deal, something that is repeatable with lots of practice, but very rare if you haven't already practiced that exact angle.

well when it's proven to be trash in this game just know we all heard it here first and wasted our time. The whole situation is a joke I just hope lord gaben has mercy on our souls.

Lord gaben clearly doesn't... not with all those blues you're getting  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I could understand adding Ricochet if we were in need of gametypes, but we don't. We need maps! Adding ricochet in to the settings is idiotic and pointless. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

It doesn't work in a REAL WORLD scenario because the audience will be put to sleep by the players being asleep. This will lead to HCS being put permanently to sleep.

Testing out new maps is fine but a new gametype that is proven to be ZERO FUN? I really feel bad for the pros right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It doesn't work in a REAL WORLD scenario because the audience will be put to sleep by the players being asleep. This will lead to HCS being put permanently to sleep.

Testing out new maps is fine but a new gametype that is proven to be ZERO FUN? I really feel bad for the pros right now.

I don't know about ZERO FUN. I would play it drunk with my friends. Never in a competitive scene though.

Guys guys. It's probably just their April Fool's joke that had some launch problems.

So its going to last a few months with no acknowledgement from 343i?
  • Upvote (+1) 3

So funny when "community leaders" try to come and tell us that we don't like a new gametype because we "just haven't given it enough of a chance".

No one here is making long explanation posts as to why ricochet is bad because it is so obvious to us, it's so intuitive, that this gametype does not work in its' current state on the maps provided, that we don't even want to waste time explaining why. Because we shouldn't! This shouldn't even be a discussion!! We are honestly shocked by 343's stupidity right now, so excuse us for not being able to make well thought out posts currently. We're simply upset about being ignored for the 1000th time. It feels like one giant prank at this point.

By the way- the burden of proof is with the person trying to make the claim. The logic that Ricochet should be in because it hasn't been proven to be bad is just inherently flawed.

Ricochet is a whacky gimmick gametype with no competitive value unless paired with a forge map made very very specifically for it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Very good point. The gametype has never been proven to be fun or work competitively so why should we have to prove it isn't fun or doesn't work? The politics, mind games and baby back House of Cards bull shit is pissing me off over at 343.

I was upset I couldn't compete in the first major tournament in my own hometown since 2005 but now I'm glad, lol.

Things like this should have been announced a week after Champs. In what sport do they have changes a week before the season starts?!

So funny when "community leaders" try to come and tell us that we don't like a new gametype because we "just haven't given it enough of a chance".

No one here is making long explanation posts as to why ricochet is bad because it is so obvious to us, it's so intuitive, that this gametype does not work in its' current state on the maps provided, that we don't even want to waste time explaining why. Because we shouldn't! This shouldn't even be a discussion!! We are honestly shocked by 343's stupidity right now, so excuse us for not being able to make well thought out posts currently. We're simply upset about being ignored for the 1000th time. It feels like one giant prank at this point.

By the way- the burden of proof is with the person trying to make the claim. The logic that Ricochet should be in because it hasn't been proven to be bad is just inherently flawed.

Ricochet is a whacky gimmick gametype with no competitive value unless paired with a forge map made very very specifically for it.

Any lawyer, judge, or police officer will tell you that it's always harder to prove a Negative.  i.e- that Ricochet does NOT work. 

The burden of proof should be on 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Things like this should have been announced a week after Champs. In what sport do they have changes a week before the season starts?!

Thats how 343 rolls. Just like when they waited until a few days before MCC's release to tell us that there wont be ranks. They wait to the last minute because they knew they were screwing people over. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can quote me bro it's all good. I don't view myself as a "community leader" I work at Twitch and help people stream. I have no delusions of being more than I am. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I have actually played Ricochet on stream (with people from this very thread) on various forge maps. My fault was not trying it on EVERY map. I enjoyed playing it and thought about different

Don't look at this as an opportunity to say "Goldenboy you're an idiot and I hate you" (which if you want to say that then go ahead, it's a free country) but rather a chance to actually get legitimate feedback for 343, from the community, that they can go off of.

How many countless times have we done this now...? And how often have they listened?

I actually am asking you.

.long post

Completely agree, especially on your last 3 points. Not only is this NOT the game for it, but its not the time for it. I'd be okay with testing it during PS cup 2 for future lans AFTER ATL... but if it makes it into ATL and EG loses game 5 of a series because of ricochet and @@LethuL boycotting it:

50a47e79afa96f1ff40012e4.gif

I disagree. Ricochet and these new maps deserve the opportunity to be taken seriously. 343i should be able to get feedback from the pro community on these maps and gametypes. After talking to both sides, it simply needs to be handled better on both ends. I work with far bigger and more organized leagues (WCS, LCS, TI, etc.) and it's clear to me that we're just experiencing growing pains here.

There needs to be more reliable and organized channels for feedback because ultimately, everyone has the same goal, the growth of Halo. People need to be working together not against each other if we ever want to be mentioned with the big boys again.

This is SUCH a good post. +1

The biggest issue is that Ricochet is simply so different from the current Halo competitive 4v4 meta. Imagine if we just threw Grifball into the rotation. It's an entirely different game that requires a different skill set with an entirely different concept of "teamwork". Ricochet isn't bad, but because it is SO different, you're pretty much asking pros to get good at an entirely different game. The concepts of throwing, catching, intercepting, etc introduce entirely new and unfamiliar factors that were never present in competitive Halo.

We might as well get the pros to play one round of table tennis in best of fives. Is table tennis competitive? Sure. Are the current top tier Halo players any good at table tennis? Maybe. Does being good at table tennis have any correlation with being good at Halo? No. That may be an extreme example but the point is still the same. Ricochet is a huge deviation from the rest of the gametypes that it's just not fair to force it down players' throats just because they're good at Halo and they should adapt.

• Downvote (-1) 1

This is the biggest problem I have with this site. I can only give this post +1 rep when it deserved at least 10.

I disagree. Ricochet and these new maps deserve the opportunity to be taken seriously. 343i should be able to get feedback from the pro community on these maps and gametypes. After talking to both sides, it simply needs to be handled better on both ends. I work with far bigger and more organized leagues (WCS, LCS, TI, etc.) and it's clear to me that we're just experiencing growing pains here.

There needs to be more reliable and organized channels for feedback because ultimately, everyone has the same goal, the growth of Halo. People need to be working together not against each other if we ever want to dream of being mentioned with the big boys.

We are all for promoting communication, the 343i HCS staff just needs to meet us half-way. Rarely have I've seen the 343i HCS come on here and talk or discuss things. Maybe they read our forums at times? But come on, there has to be more than that, we are the biggest competitive Halo community around.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Here's my problem with all of this.

There has not been visual evidence that this gametype was tested in a real-world scenario with people not scoffing at the gametype. All I've seen are videos of players, playing alone, throwing the ball into the goal from various angles.

That's sort of the point of the gametype...

I have actually played Ricochet on stream (with people from this very thread) on various forge maps. My fault was not trying it on EVERY map. I enjoyed playing it and thought about different ways players can approach strategy in it but the issues I have is that expressing that is considered taboo. I will go on the record and saying that my involvement in the HCS has been purely from a community growth angle (encouraging players to stream, helping them get started, event promotions, casting, etc) and I have no say on gametypes so I'm testing them out like everyone else and my opinion is just as valid as everyone else's.

Quality feedback is so much more than saying "I don't like it because it's bad" and more about providing evidence of faults in the gametype/map and then discussing the topic at length which I know 343 is looking for. I know people will disagree with me about this because that's just the nature of it but think rationally and ask yourselves these questions:

1. Has anyone played a full series where Ricochet was a gametype in the rotation AND taken seriously?

2. Is there any proof of REAL WORLD scenarios that Ricochet is a flawed gametype?

3. Can there be any improvements made to Ricochet?

Don't look at this as an opportunity to say "Goldenboy you're an idiot and I hate you" (which if you want to say that then go ahead, it's a free country) but rather a chance to actually get legitimate feedback for 343, from the community, that they can go off of.

You don't need to be a pro to give your opinion.  :wutface:

And here is my problem with this, the proof is out there... it was played in Halo 4(a game with SPRINT) and I did not work, it didn't improved viewership, pro's did not like it and newcomers to the scene did not like it at all. The feedback about Ricochet was given A LONG TIME AGO, a very much (and very decisive) NO from everyone. Yet here we are again dealing with Ricochet again, tell me why we are dealing with this again ? Why ? Because I can't think of ANY REASON AT ALL of why we should be dealing with this situation. HCS needs MAPS not new gametypes, plain and simple(this is my opinion but a lot of us agree on this).

What is even more sad is that 343i WILL SHOVE RICOSHIT down our throats  again in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This needs to be standard.

Ugh, theyre getting everything right EXCEPT this ricochet thing. This is good news at least.

• Upvote (+1) 1