CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

H5 topic:

I think the biggest flaw in H5 are the maps and I don't think that they are going to get any better :(

• Upvote (+1) 7

H5 topic:

I think the biggest flaw in H5 are the maps and I don't think that they are going to get any better :(

RYAN AND I AGREE ON SOMETHING?!

• Upvote (+1) 3

H5 topic:

But don't you both think/realize that maps will always be broken/big when you have sprint in the game?

But don't you both think/realize that maps will always be broken/big when you have sprint in the game?

Reach

• Upvote (+1) 3

Forge?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought the Halo 5 discussion was decided to be kept in the Halo 5 thread?  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I thought the Halo 5 discussion was decided to be kept in the Halo 5 thread?  :lxthul:

Never heard of it :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Serious question, just food for though.

343 decides to run a league with daily matches, or bi-daily matches online. Through spectator mode they are able to stream, and make it front page on twitch on a consistent basis.

Then at the end of the league you watch the top 8 teams compete for large sums of money, please explain to me how that won't see any type of growth from our 20-25k viewers right now.

If you say consistency and large prize pools doesn't pull in a bigger audience, I seriously question your logic.

One of the biggest issues Halo has right now, is the only content you guys get outside of tournaments is our scrims, or the very rare showmatch 343 decides to do on their twitch channel.

I am most worried about the long-term population Halo 5 will sustain. We saw how fast Halo 4's population drop-off was and from my experience with the beta most of my friends quit or lost interest within the first 2-3 days and these are people who have been hardcore fans since HCE/H2. Then with the MCC being an ongoing disaster online, its safe to say 343 is on a very short leash and I dont think Halo 5 will be a good comp Halo game people will want to stick around for. I am happy that 343 is stepping up their efforts to support the scene and will continue to do so, but If nobody is playing the game like MCC+H4 nobody will be there to watch and the scene wont grow. I really do hope the scene continues to grow because I want to see the community flourish but I am a realist, and what I saw from Halo 5 and 343's lackluster efforts to fix the real issues with the game makes me think its going to be the most divisive Halo MP yet.

• Upvote (+1) 7

343 really needs to start using their Twitch and Youtube more often outside of the promotional/big events. I saw today that HaloFollower has more subs on Youtube than the Halo account and that's just depressing. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am most worried about the long-term population Halo 5 will sustain. We saw how fast Halo 4's population drop-off was and from my experience with the beta most of my friends quit or lost interest within the first 2-3 days and these are people who have been playing since H1/H2. Then with the MCC being an ongoing disaster online, its safe to say 343 is on a very short leash and I dont think Halo 5 will be a good comp Halo game people will want to stick around for. I am happy that 343 is stepping up their efforts to support the scene and will continue to do so, but If nobody is playing the game like MCC+H4 nobody will be there to watch and the scene wont grow.

It's a valid worry, don't get me wrong.

but let me play devil's advocate here.

My cousins all played original Halo with me, they all quit when Halo 3 came out, said they didn't enjoy how it played.

They haven't liked/enjoyed a single Halo since Halo 2.

They didn't stop playing the H5 beta, literally every time I called them they would be like "Yo, I gotta call you back after this game" and I knew it was H5.

My little brother, I couldn't get him into any Halo to save my life (he's 11) had him play Halo 5, and now all he does is play MCC to prepare for H5.

Is there people that feel the same way as your friends, absolutely.

Are there people that feel the same way as my cousins and brother, absolutely.

So it's hard to say.

I think having a working matchmaking and ranking system on launch helps IMMENSELY with holding onto the population, and believe it or not. People do actually really enjoy Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Just going to comment this one thing because I think that's absurd. If you all want to discuss further, I suggest going to the H5 Thread. In fact, I encourage pros like @@LethuL, @@Mikwen, and @@RyaNoob to head over there. I thoroughly enjoy reading what you have to say about the new game.

Competitive settings have always had equal starts

Doesn't matter what the competitive settings do, it's about the default game and the approach 343 is taking. 343 has backtracked and returned to fair starts and even playing field (no AA's, etc.) for Halo 5, this is a good thing.

Halo 5 does plays like a continuation of Halo 4+CoD more than the original Halo trilogy

I won't say that we're going to go back to the original trilogy, because we aren't. But we certainly aren't anything close to Halo 4 or CoD. Other than the aesthetic Smart Scope that everyone writes off as ADS, and Sprint (which is flawed, obviously)... the game is heading far from the direction of Call of Duty. To name a few things that were removed from H4 -> H5:

• Instant Respawn
  • Ordnances
  • AA's
  • Flinch
  • Oversaturated Sandbox

​Feel free to question H5's competitive merit, but don't try to write it off as a Call of Duty clone.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The tournament tonight, does it count toward HCS at all or is it just a fun small tourney?

Fun, small tourney that IG does often.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what are the qualities that make for great maps in your opinion?

So what are the qualities that make for great maps in your opinion?

I thought Truth and Empire were good maps, tbh.

Regret, Eden, and the two forge maps I wasn't fan of you.

You need good lines of sight, symmetry, power positions, and counters to those power positions that aren't too abusable. 

Then on top of all those you need a half working spawn system, or it doesn't matter at all how good the map is.

You need good lines of sight, symmetry, power positions, and counters to those power positions that aren't too abusable. 

Then on top of all those you need a half working spawn system, or it doesn't matter at all how good the map is.

What were your thoughts on Breakout and the maps used for that? 

i think sprint breaks maps.

the halo reach maps played much better after we removed sprint. Countdown and Zealot.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the highest I've ever seen was 30%.

Most do around 15-20% and that's usually only for events that they cover.

Still seems fine with the monthly salary, because not every org is gonna win.

Win a tourney at 20k they take 20% 4k

Still walk away with 4k each and take care of everything right? 

Pretty much :)

I'll ask the Denial guys what I can and can't go into so I can spread some more light on how orgs work for the most part.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just going to comment this one thing because I think that's absurd. If you all want to discuss further, I suggest going to the H5 Thread. In fact, I encourage pros like @@LethuL, @@Mikwen, and @@RyaNoob to head over there. I thoroughly enjoy reading what you have to say about the new game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ8S2CwuJ50

I think its absurd, you think its absurd. When the default control scheme is the CoD control scheme on top of ADS, clamber, sprint, Spartan chatter, ect.. which game do you think 343 is pulling these ideas from? The Halo trilogy or any Arena-style shooter? If Epic did anything like this to UT, they would be looking for new jobs the next day because the community would drive them out of there. If 343 was a indie PC dev, they would be out of business. I really dont care anymore though, if you want to me to lie and say "Halo 5 is an original game and seeks to take Halo back to its Arena competitive roots" you wont get that from me because its not true.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You didn't like Pegasus?

Eden would be GOAT for Objective play.