CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 2 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The sides are just gonna play till everyone else's retires and they have no competition

HCS Cup Warlord Bomb Denial vs OpTic, Chig's PoV:

3:35:05 - Spawns on far right, banks one grenade off the opposite pillar and a second off the ramp.  This second grenade will hit anyone attempting to go ramp portal off the opening.  He then drops toward Green side and looks for targets to shoot.  His positioning here ensures anyone that can see his Camo player drop for Green shotty will be too busy fighting Chig to shoot the Camo player grabbing Shotgun.  Two die for Denial and Chig is stuck in an awkward situation with nowhere to go safely.

3:35:35 - Spawns on his flag and avoids peeking out while he gets a grasp of the situation and where OpTic players are.  He hits a grenade on one player and keeps eyes on both sides of his team's nades, putting shots in players in each direction.  After looping around to needles, he follows a callout of a player on his nerd/flag and chases, but gets killed from behind.

3:36:05 - Upon spawning in his ramp portal, Chig immediately ports to avoid being killed by any OpTic player looking for spawners while his team begins moving bomb.  He gets hit from a player hiding at OpTic's ramp port while he looks across to health port, but gets return damage before dying as well as shots in the player at health port.

3:36:46 - Chig ports off spawn again, getting behind an OpTic player bottom middle and getting the kill, then jumping up behind his bomb carrier to move in for the plant with him.  He communicates for the bomb carrier to stay near the side where he is standing to make it easier to continue the arm if he dies.  A player spawning health pack ends up killing Chig before he can finish the arm.  He had grenades handy, if he'd thrown them as he moved up to continue the plant, he could've blocked the spawn.

3:37:15 - The next bit of time is just Chig playing cautiously and trying to get damage in wherever he can.  Notice how he stays close to cover and as much out of sight from angles that he's not watching, avoiding as much as possible taking free damage.

3:37:50 - Chig stays in health pack for a long time until OpTic throw bomb up.  Because a player was on the far side of Flag as Chig pushed out of health to stop the plant, he grabs Bomb and runs it out to bottom middle, preventing OpTic's attempted plant.

3:38:25 - Lots of focus on one target at a time, with him focusing on targets his teammates are also watching, but from completely separate angles.

3:38:38 - Starts getting shot from Yellow ramp, immediately moves to put a pillar between him and the target, then drops while the sightline is broken.  He grabs bomb on his plat and since he sees a player at health port, he avoids running the bomb top middle, electing to drop with it to use the ramp to keep that player from seeing which direction he's carrying bomb.

3:39:06 - Chig spawns at his ramp port and believes the last player of OpTic alive to be at his nades.  Rather than chase that player, who has no potential to stop the bomb plant at all from his position, he moves across map to try to help pressure spawns.  Hearing a response to a callout of a player at Denial's shotty with "I'll finish, I'll finish" he avoids turning back for the player and focuses on the one in front of him.

3:39:30 - Chig's grenade gets shot out of the air, weakening him, but he backs Ace down from pushing nerd to flag.  While he waits for his shields to come back, he hugs the shit out of the flag box to expose as little of his body as possible.  During this entire life he constantly hugs cover and moves in directions that will keep sightlines broken if the players move the way he expects them to (backs up as Ace pushes forward with bomb). He ends up trade-killing Ace.

3:40:10 - Spawns with a sightline over a player who is backing down from combat and communicates "I'm watching you", letting the player know they have help should they get pushed, so they can either continue backing down or actually fight to ensure a kill.  He pushes across middle as a callout of 3 dead comes to prepare to plant the bomb, but spawners on flag cut him off, and he just deals whatever damage he can before he gets melted.

3:40:36 - Gets a kill off spawn and hard pushes the player backing up into Yellow health who had potential to damage bomb from their sightline.  He gets the kill, but bomb carrier was already dead, so he focuses on slaying from Yellow Plat.  As a player turns to fight him from Yellow ramp, he immediately uses the pillar to cut the sightline and drops, hiding from grenades until his teammate communincates the player is dead.  When calling out the amount dead, Chig simply calls out a number, saving time from adding the word "dead" (but kinda counters this by saying the number several times).

3:41:15 - Sees a player from third person view of Mikwen during deathcam and immediately looks for that player off spawn.  With that player not pushing, he turns, listening to a callout of a player porting health and gets an easy kill.  He then turns to see the previous player now 1 shot and running in front of him for an easy double kill.  With a numbers advantage, Chig jumps up top and gets an assist on a third player, then pushes into flag to try to disrupt spawns.  He communicates for the bomb to be thrown up, but the player starts arming on his own, so he instead changes to communicate for that player to arm while he slays / will finish the plant.  Realizing after the plant he's too close to the bomb circle, he communicates he is going to die to it and for the rest of Denial to stay alive.

3:41:45 - Rough patch as OpTic retake control, he gets killed quickly twice again, but focuses on using his deathcam to help his teammates.

3:42:20 - Focuses on a player his side, then looks to push out for last guy.  He waits in a position to see the only areas that player can retreat to and gets the kill.  He engages a player running off OpTic's nerd, but as he sees a second player spawn on OpTic's flag, he drops and hugs the ramp to cut off potential sightlines.  He gets cleaned up by a grenade.

3:43:00 - OpTic engage hivemind mode and swarm Denial, 3 BRs versus isolated targets.  The next life features him getting pinned in a portal by a player top middle.  He attempts to portaldance to escape, and gets in a 1v1 with a second player he engages from behind, but still weakened from top middle, the player turns on him and gets the kill.

3:43:30 - Spawns and cleans up two on Denial's side of the map, shooting the corpse of a third, and calling out the fourth.  He sees a player engaging the fourth and looks to leave him, focusing on grabbing Camo himself, but gets shot by that player as he leaps.  He puts shots on him to back him down, but OpTic's other players have had time to spawn and pressure Chig as he grabs Camo.  He flees to attempt to survive, but gets pushed across bottom mid.

3:44:10 - As he's moving bomb up he calls to Heinz on OpTic's plat to get into the flag area to help him plant.  Chig begins getting shot from behind and takes a wide angle up, but cannot break the sightline and gets killed.

3:44:30 - Spawns and ports, getting shots into the back of top middle, but two Optic players turn from flag/plat area to teamshoot him and he dies.

3:44:55 - Tunnels on chasing a player he thought he would kill with grenades, and chases across an open area, taking free damage in his side.  The player he was chasing then turns and gets the kill instead.

3:45:10 - Seeing a player at OpTic's ramp, Chig slow plays a situation and uses the walls under Blue Plat to keep himself hidden from that angle, waiting to see if the player pushes across to Yellow.  The player jumps to top mid, and Chig gets shots in the player's back.  He then ports to live as another player engages him, and once his shields are back, he charges a player shooting Heinz in the back from Red Health.  (He loses the 1v1, but his play kept Heinz alive.)

3:45:45 - All of Denial frantically grenade and rush the bomb and it somehow works out.  This really should have been a successful plant for OpTic.

3:46:05 - Spawns, assassinates a player, ports, and gets into a 1v1 (loses).  Player gets finished by Mikwen.  He uses deathcam again to help direct his teammates on how to play the situation and OpTic are 4 dead briefly.

3:46:30 - Sees bomb has only 3 seconds to reset, and instead of running for bomb, runs to bottom middle to get the reset.  He runs bomb in, and seeing a player in health pack stays on the FRONT of the flagbox, using the brick to cut off the sightline from health port.  Once he starts taking fire from outside, he jumps over the brick to finish the plant.

3:47:05 - Upon being shot from enemy ramp port and breaking the sightline, Chig immediately grenades his own ramp port, setting himself up for a kill as the player ports through to finish the kill.

3:47:20 - Starts to run Bomb but sees a player at Blue health, and grenades the area before continuing to run.  He gets the kill but doesn't communicate he was grenading, and Heinz lifts into the grenades.  OpTic get a spawn on their flag as Chig throws bomb in, and turn to beat him down.

3:47:40 - Uses Deathcam to watch Camo player, saves team's lives with good Camo eyes.

3:48:00 - Game gets really fast paced from here and Denial overrun OpTic with fast slays and get two really fast bomb plants to finish the game, not much to analyze from Chig's perspective, since he spent a lot of the time dead and just using deathcam :D

Overall: Numerically, not a fantastic game from Chig, but there are two very visible strengths in his play, relating to his use of cover and his use of deathcams.  His communication is strong, with quite a bit of "small talk" (I hate that term.) focused on letting players know when he has their help or is watching them.  He could do a bit more communicating of where he is going, and say when he's grenading near a teammate more, but other than that his communication was strong.

He rarely made stupid pushes and tended to take safe routes, but just didn't do well in 1v1 situations over the course of this game.

The only other aspect of his gameplay I thought was worth noting, compared to other players' is the amount of time Chig will spend in one place.  While a lot of players are in a hurry to get out of wherever they are, Chig seems to be substantially more patient, and will wait in an area until it's either safe to push out or until he's completed whatever short-term objective he intended to do (such as waiting on OpTic to push the bomb all the way into their base and then pulling it out).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I highly doubt Ogre 2 will compete in H5 anyway, he said one of the reasons he almost retired in the first place is because there wasn't a fun modern Halo game to compete in. Halo 5 will continue the trend of modern Halo titles alienating the hardcore old-school fan-base.

He said he is competing on his stream several times #debunked

I feel like season 2 is turning into a joke and teams don't really seem to be taking it that serious.

With all the problems lately I don't blame them either.

Good, more targets for me :)
  • Upvote (+1) 5

What mindset? 

"Play eSports until you're a certain age that I consider too old for an eSports player and then stop"

• Upvote (+1) 3

He said he is competing on his stream several times #debunked

Well see how long that lasts but this is good news. I guess he did play pre-patch Reach and CoD ghosts so maybe H5 is a step up from that level of trash? Good lord I cant imagine competing in those games back-to-back... I dont know how Halo pros have remained so cordial let alone sane TBH.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i got excited hearing about MCC with a tournament setting being setup by 343. and after the shit show that ensued i dont think i could feel more jaded or hopeless for halo. i did not enjoy the h5 beta as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"Play eSports until you're a certain age that I consider too old for an eSports player and then stop"

It's more that he is not having fun and enjoying it as much anymore, it is very clear. Age itself isnt that much of a delimiter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i got excited hearing about MCC with a tournament setting being setup by 343. and after the shit show that ensued i dont think i could feel more jaded or hopeless for halo. i did not enjoy the h5 beta as well.

Maybe I am not understanding your post, but I wouldn't consider HCS anything close to a shitshow. Sure HCS has had some hiccups, but overall the competition has been great. All of the LAN tournaments have been progressively better and teams are competing weekly for 3k. Could it be better? Sure, but its the best we have had since MLG stopped running the game and its only going to get bigger and better. The game? Yeah it is a shitshow, and if that is purely what you were referring to then I apologize for the drawn out post. IMO, H5 was much more polished than MCC is right now and it was a Beta 10 months before the game even releases. I enjoyed it and I know many others who did as well. Hopefully 343 has learned what comp Halo entails from HCS and will apply those lessons to H5.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well it has to happen at some point

People aren't gonna be winning events at 60 are they?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe I am not understanding your post, but I wouldn't consider HCS anything close to a shitshow. Sure HCS has had some hiccups, but overall the competition has been great. All of the LAN tournaments have been progressively better and teams are competing weekly for 3k. Could it be better? Sure, but its the best we have had since MLG stopped running the game and its only going to get bigger and better. The game? Yeah it is a shitshow, and if that is purely what you were referring to then I apologize for the drawn out post. IMO, H5 was much more polished than MCC is right now and it was a Beta 10 months before the game even releases. I enjoyed it and I know many others who did as well. Hopefully 343 has learned what comp Halo entails from HCS and will apply those lessons to H5.

Hooray for optimism :D

I know it's naive / insane of me to think this way, but I'm honestly somewhat hopeful for H5 ... at the very least it should have enough toggles that we can create proper competitive settings.  The gameplay itself (from the beta) was legitimately better than H3 and H4, despite the annoying aspects

I know it's naive / insane of me to think this way, but I'm honestly somewhat hopeful for H5 ... at the very least it should have enough toggles that we can create proper competitive settings.  The gameplay itself (from the beta) was legitimately better than H3 and H4, despite the annoying aspects

Can you count on 343 to use those toggles though. If they have a succesfful launch tourney without using them, do you think they will want to start using the toggles?

The "mindset" is a reality.  eSports will always favor young teenagers who have no responsibilities and can therefore play/practice all day every day.  The burnout factor is also incredibly hard to avoid in the realm of eSports; which grants another significant advantage to a young kid over a "veteran" who has literally spent the last 10+ years devoting their life to a video game: the kid will be "fresh" and still hungry to play, the veteran will undoubtedly eventually lose passion and instead strive to experience real life.

People try to use actual sports as some sort of comparison otherwise, but its not really similar at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The "mindset" is a reality.  eSports will always favor young teenagers who have no responsibilities and can therefore play/practice all day every day.  The burnout factor is also incredibly hard to avoid in the realm of eSports; which grants another significant advantage to a young kid over a "veteran" who has literally spent the last 10+ years devoting their life to a video game: the kid will be "fresh" and still hungry to play, the veteran will undoubtedly eventually lose passion and instead strive to experience real life.

People try to use actual sports as some sort of comparison otherwise, but its not really similar at all.

Meanwhile the Japanese gods in Street Fighter.

• Upvote (+1) 2

yea i was mostly talking about the state the game launched/is in. i should of been more clear my apologizes.

Are we pretending daigos anything close to how good he was 8 years ago?

If Daigo's not good enough for you, let's try the Korean, Infiltration, 30 years old and still WINNING TOURNAMENTS.

Or Tokido, one of the other Japanese gods (who I think is 29, can't find a for sure birthday mention) who has a few top 4 placings this year.

Or Sako, currently 36, still staying in the top 8.

And courtesy of @@Munoz for pointing this out, but...

Daigo is still doing quite well for himself, having just won Stunfest.

And courtesy of Obscurica, a Smash/LoL journalist...

Daigo vs Momochi in the finals.

If Daigo's not good enough for you, let's try the Korean, Infiltration, 30 years old and still WINNING TOURNAMENTS.

Or Tokido, one of the other Japanese gods (who I think is 29, can't find a for sure birthday mention) who has a few top 4 placings this year.

Or Sako, currently 36, still staying in the top 8.

And courtesy of @@Munoz for pointing this out, but...

Daigo is still doing quite well for himself, having just won Stunfest.

And courtesy of Obscurica, a Smash/LoL journalist...

Daigo vs Momochi in the finals.

Lol I know the scene.

https://youtu.be/C-p075gnSTw

Mmmm baby