Proto

HCS Season 1 Feedback & Suggestions Thread

I'll be saying it for about the 700,00th time, and I want to make this extremely clear.

DO. NOT. TAKE. ANYTHING. SAID. IN TWITCH. CHATS. SERIOUSLY. 

I just facepalm every time I see people say something like "Well look at what this person said in Twitch chat" or "Wow this game's community is awful, look at how their Twitch chat is during an event for their game. How disrespectful." 

For ANY kind of tournament, it does not matter what game it is, Twitch chat is a cesspool of trolling, fighting, and once again trolling. Hell I watch LCS every single week and if a player - no matter the team - makes 1 bad play - people saying everything from "WOW LCS BRONZE NOOB LOLOL" to "FUCK YOU ____ YOU MADE ME LOST FANTASY. DIE YOU PIECE OF SHIT." The only way to compare Twitch chat to any real life event - and this is said with 0 disrespect to the CoD community - but when I see the videos of 13-17 year old Optic fans at events screaming at people in the crowd who aren't Optic fans as they are all swagged out with all their Optic gear on going bat shit crazy when Optic wins a game, that to me is Twitch chat in real life form. You cannot take it seriously and you need to ignore it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just so everyone is aware, I'm aware that twitch chats for tourneys are garbage

It still doesn't chance the fact that everyone participating in the chat are unanimously against h4 map reviews and other silly non worthy downtime content

You could also make the argument for tennis. Player A wins the set 6-0, Player B wins the second set 7-5, but at the end of it, it's still tied 1-1. There have been discussions about the pros/cons of continuation series vs series scores since MLG's first tournament. 

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying which one I enjoy to see/play more. I can see why people think the way it was played at the HCS finals is better, but I hope them same people could see why the continuation series has its reasons to be better too.

This was always done by accident at MLG in Halo 3, but I loved it when you had team chat going from the other team you were watching. It was fun to watch from the player's pov who they were calling out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Get the most out of the multiple player perspectives:

• Duel split screen (ala CSGO) should be abused in Halo. The obvious implementation would be when play breaks down to show both teams snipers facing off on something like Sanc TS. Also showing two players from the same team can be better than a quad screen if you're trying to get across a certain point (synergy between groups of players etc).
  • Have an objective perspective as a small window full right center to better present the pressure of the objective (should not be over used).
  • Two dedicated streams with Quad views of both teams + team comms. This is risky (shit talking etc) and excessive from a production point of view but there are benefits in giving people the option to watch the game their way and the artificial boost in overall viewers that will bring in more legit viewers.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

For next season, when new naps are introduced hopefully, having a short cinematic showing the map and power weapon spawns like in H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Simms was absolutely phenomenal and gave more life into Halo casting since Goldenboy joined up.  He needs to be at every event. 
  2. Online Cups need a little bit more incentive to play in.  (Since the points given are so low, individual points should be structured out from placements imo.)
  3. I still don't like the team structures point system, but I doubt that will be changing anytime soon.
  4. I don't see Gametypes changing unfortunately either.  There just hasn't been a decent "Forge" map worthy of competitive play and casual viewing.  Gray is :wutface:
  5. Downtime is getting better.  Montages and more "helpful" videos for new viewers.

Can't think of anything else right now.  HCS Finals were amazing to watch, and a great stepping stone into Season 2.  :weback:

Simms and Walshy best thing since Gandhi and Maven 

^ Agreed, Simms was great all tourney and Walshy is Walshy with the analysis. Really enjoyed commentary this last event which IMO has been a weak point for Halo when compared to most other esports.

I told yall about EU commentary ;) Always enjoy Insomnia for that reason.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I originally posted this in the "Why is Halo Tournament Viewership So Slow? thread but it's more about what change I believe should come to Halo then just what was done wrong.

In my opinion the 3 things that make an Esport sucessful are 

a.)Fun, entertaining and easy to understand gameplay 
b.)Quality of the event
c.)Out-of-game drama

Season 1 of HCS was good on all these fronts, but great at none. 

Halo 2A gameplay is fun to watch, but compared to Smash, CS or the original Halo trilogy it just doesn't stack up. To me this is because of the non-existent BR skill gap, lack of maps and lack of depth H2A has. 

The quality of most events ranged from okay (Iron Gaming) to really good (PAX East). However compared to a League of Legends or DOTA tournaments the just do not even compare. I'd say PAX East was on par with old MLG Halo events however that was years ago and the esports scene has grown so quickly that 2011-ish MLG events wont cut it. If every LAN event was on par with PAX East and the Finals had production quality like the Halo 4 Global Championship then I'd say we'd be a lot closer to our rival esports (I'm really hoping Halo 5 HCS is like this).

Lastly, while the out-of-game drama can be pretty entertaining, it's hard to compete on that front with COD when they have a personality with 1 million followers. People are so heavily invested into Nadeshot and other players that some how they find boring ass COD fun to watch. People are always going to root for someone they know and the only people who do a decent job at creating a fanbase for themselves are Ninja and Flamesword. The whole Str8 drama was great but compare it to this:

MLG made the whole dropping of Walshy into a huge story line. It was like a freaking Soap Opera. And while Zeke VS T2 fighting on Beyond is entertaining I wish the casters would bring it up, interview the players involved and not worry about anyones feelings getting hurt on stream. Also Zeke was essentially screwed after he was dropped because of the point system. Imagine Zeke came back the next event with a new squad and they have a series against Str8, it would have been crazy.

Also whats more entertaining, this?

or watching Clutch and some pros throw T-shirts?

HCS should feel more like watching WWF than golf. 

So, if you are a Halo fan H2A is a lot of fun to watch. However if you want intense gameplay full of depth H2A isn't the absolute best place to find that, if you want crazy event quality HCS isn't there yet and if you want out-of-game entertainment there are better places than HCS to do it.

It's up to 343 to make a game with more depth (I believe they're making strides with H5, feel free to disagree with me in a different thread), up to the event organizers to up their game and up to the pros to make people have a reason to root for them. 

So, as I reached the end of watching the end of this tourney like it always does it hits me how much I truly love Halo and want it to succeed so I started writing down some ideas for content since its what you guys SAY you want. I want to help get it near the Cod level and at the moment we don't have anyone doing content and if you go to cod or even if you don't watch cod, people still watch cod players videos because they aren't all focused on the game. So I'm going to make an extreme effort to start streaming and making content and I've said this before but I actually have a plan of attack this time compared to the other times. BUT what the point of this post is to get some feedback on some of my ideas and maybe you guys could help me expand the list a little more, just note I'm super paranoid about posting ideas on the internet afraid people will steal them but here ya go all feedback welcome =] 

1. State of Halo and issues that need to be addressed 

2. State of events and how they've been ran from IG to finals based off my experience 

3. Getting sponsors and what's worked best for me in the past

4. Getting your parents on board to going and competing at tournaments if you're underage 

5. Setup videos on each map and specific gametypes and how exactly to break certain setups if you find yourself against them

6. The spawn system and how to manipulate it to work in your favor

All I have right now but I think its a pretty good start, let me know what you guys think. 

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The deeper the game, the more avenues for content creation. I could spend an entire 48 hours watching nothing but videos of how to throw smokes and flashbangs in Counter-Strike. Videos about the state of various events etc. will appeal to the audience that's already there - people who already watch competitive Halo. If you want to expand then you need:

1) a game with a lot of new players interested in getting better

2) the ability to create tutorials, strategy videos etc that appeal to those players

All the stuff like vlogs about events and the like is basically filler, or I guess you could think of it as preaching to the choir. Only hardcore competitive Halo fans will be super interested in that stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So, as I reached the end of watching the end of this tourney like it always does it hits me how much I truly love Halo and want it to succeed so I started writing down some ideas for content since its what you guys SAY you want. I want to help get it near the Cod level and at the moment we don't have anyone doing content and if you go to cod or even if you don't watch cod, people still watch cod players videos because they aren't all focused on the game. So I'm going to make an extreme effort to start streaming and making content and I've said this before but I actually have a plan of attack this time compared to the other times. BUT what the point of this post is to get some feedback on some of my ideas and maybe you guys could help me expand the list a little more, just note I'm super paranoid about posting ideas on the internet afraid people will steal them but here ya go all feedback welcome =] 

1. State of Halo and issues that need to be addressed 

2. State of events and how they've been ran from IG to finals based off my experience 

3. Getting sponsors and what's worked best for me in the past

4. Getting your parents on board to going and competing at tournaments if you're underage 

5. Setup videos on each map and specific gametypes and how exactly to break certain setups if you find yourself against them

6. The spawn system and how to manipulate it to work in your favor

All I have right now but I think its a pretty good start, let me know what you guys think. 

Can you DM me in regards to number 5? Looking to get stuff like that up on halo.esportspedia 

I don't see Gametypes changing unfortunately either.  There just hasn't been a decent "Forge" map worthy of competitive play and casual viewing.  Gray is :wutface:

You are an idiot. There are good maps out there. Have you looked at the HCS map thread here? Several of those maps are easily HCS quality. You probably are opposed to anything that isn't Midship or by Salot. Silly bandwagon kids.

• Downvote (-1) 1

An extra overlay for the game score and game timer would be nice. The in game score and timer are small hard to see on stream and new people my not know what to look for. 

@@Prototype Thanks for making the extra effort to make content.

I personally want to see stuff I can't actually do or experience.

Examples

- Vlogs on going to Lan events. I don't go to LANs due to cost and school, so it would be cool to hear about the experience firsthand. Kind of "living through you," if you know what I mean. I'm sure a lot of other people would like to hear about the LAN experience as well.

- In-depth strategy videos and commentary. Nothing makes me more excited to play a game than hearing about the complex inner workings that go on at the pro-level. These videos help players appreciate the massive amount of decision-making that happens on the fly in pro tournaments, and make the game more fun in general (playing or watching). Example video with Quake:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can you DM me in regards to number 5? Looking to get stuff like that up on halo.esportspedia

Gotta be at school for a bit, but I will when I get back!

Gotta be at school for a bit, but I will when I get back!

Awesome ill talk to you tonight then :)

I wish 343/ESL would encourage trash talk and rivalries, by not censoring swear words. However, certain words should be discouraged: Rape, ******, etc.