Proto

HCS Season 1 Feedback & Suggestions Thread

My only Two complaits are:

- 4 player view, it was really annoying in the shrine TS between CLG and NB

Make it at most 2 player view

- I feel like CLG was really drained after the long series vs NB. Teams should have the option to rest some time before matches, at least in the finals.

The transitions between the 4 player view and back made the gameplay disappear for about a second each time.

During those clutch moments of CLG vs NB it was really bad for the viewers.

- There has to be a look into finding another pro player - current or retired - who could become another color commentator/analytical caster. This is said with absolutely 0 disrespect to Goldenboy and Bravo - I love both of those guys and 2 of the people in the Halo scene. But it hurts both of them when they are put together to cast. They can both easily mesh with anyone - Walshy in specific because he is a caster now - and provide excellent play by play along with keeping the cast going by bringing in questions and points for the color commentator to go more in depth with. 

Elamite please. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Elamite please. 

i think he did some guest casting. He wasn’t that great (not Walshy level).  The only other commentator that I have seen on Walshy level would be Ghostayme (in terms of explaining stuff). + Ghostayme is a 343 employee. Dont see why Ghostayme does not come out to commentate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Elamite please. 

Doesn't he normally coach OpTic though?

I know this event they had Joe Fries for some reason.

Doesn't he normally coach OpTic though?

I know this event they had Joe Fries for some reason.

Yeah he does but I would think he would take a commentating job over coaching. Joe Fries was coaching Optic this weekend because Elamite was at a wedding. 

Ghost would be good too. Don't know why he doesn't just come out with Bravo. 

Warlock is one of the most boring matches to watch IMO. It is just constant dying and respawning. This might be an unpopular opinion though - but I actually loved Sanctuary TS games, even though most people say it is too slow. 

Gameplay that speeds up and slows down are IMO the best way to showcase Halo... When I remember Halo 2 or Halo 3 matches, the ones that stick out are those types of games like The Pit slayer/CTF, Guardian ball, and Lockout TS. It allows for tension to build. 

Another thing I wish would have happened was more crowd noise being pumped through. I know someone mentioned background noise being a problem because it was at PAX, but when a new viewer comes onto Halo and see's the crowd going nuts for a double kill, they are going to gain more interest. Hell, I sometimes watch League of Legends just to hear big plays. It adds to the Hype. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

- In the case of a disconnect, slayers should restart from zero. Starting 16-16 with players losing all power weapons they previously had is unfair. With MCC parties being a lot more functional, there is no 30 minute downtime between match restarts meaning restarting from 0 is viable.

This LAN the case was 16-16 but what if it was 25-16? Its not fair to reset 0-0 . Ya they lose the power weapons they had but thats just the nature of the game.

Restarting the game 0-0 rather than 16-16 doesn't relate to the power weapons any differently. The team that had control of them loses them--which is obviously not very competitive as restarts aren't by their nature. 

It simply makes the game go faster as they want to stay on schedule. 

Downtime videos need to be improved.

To be completely honest, I'm fine with ads being played, as long as the downtime is short. A 5 or 10 minute break for ads is fine if it will make the HCS money.

If you are going to continue to use community content or 343 videos, please choose the HIGHEST quality videos (*ahem*).

Seriously. No Naked Eli Campaign speedruns. No acoustic guitar sappy montages. No 2 week old Bulletins. No pondering which Halo character you are.

Play ads. Or play REALLY good community content. Also, it is preferred that you play videos relating to the game being played (H2A). Seeing Bravo break down Halo 5 maps is a bit out of place and odd for viewers.

Everything else about this event was incredible. Keep it up.

As for Season 2? I don't prefer individual player points, but something needs to be improved regarding HCS points, we'll see what changes 343 has in store. In addition, it would be cool if more apparel was introduced for the HCS, I'm going to buy some of the current shirts on sale, they are awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 4

To be completely honest, I'm fine with ads being played, as long as the downtime is short. A 5 or 10 minute break for ads is fine if it will make the HCS money.

If you are going to continue to use community content or 343 videos, please choose the HIGHEST quality videos (*ahem*).

Seriously. No Naked Eli Campaign speedruns. No acoustic guitar sappy montages. No 2 week old Bulletins. No pondering which Halo character you are.

Play ads. Or play REALLY good community content. Also, it is preferred that you play videos relating to the game being played (H2A). Seeing Bravo break down Halo 5 maps is a bit out of place and odd for viewers.

As for Season 2? I don't prefer individual player points, but something needs to be improved regarding HCS points, we'll see what changes 343 has in store. In addition, it would be cool if more apparel was introduced for the HCS, I'm going to buy some of the current shirts on sale, they are awesome.

I agree with this, there are so...SO many good montages/funtages out there, some I bet the majority haven't seen that could be playing. The two week old bulletin was pretty bad.

I don't mind the content outside of the hardcore HCS/MLG exclusive videos. Just don't have anything outdated. 

Find a solution for the xb1 profile clusterfuck. It's so annoying having to call out player 'UGC 04 RED STATION 2' and recovering your profile is out of the question because people can see you enter your login info. It was also responsible for the 90 minute delay (and many others) at G4g bc Heinz's profile didn't recognized the digital version of MCC as purchased 

Please more maps. I can't take any more warlock ball or Koth

Simms and walshy were fantastic

Suggestion:

I think an Australian qualifier like the EU one would be a great boost for the hungry AU community. 

I'd like to see Ghost cast more events. He has a bit of knowledge of the games from his past, and is a pretty solid commentator IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Event was awesome.

Every 343/ESL person I spoke with I told to get Simms to every event  :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 2

i think he did some guest casting. He wasn’t that great (not Walshy level).  The only other commentator that I have seen on Walshy level would be Ghostayme (in terms of explaining stuff). + Ghostayme is a 343 employee. Dont see why Ghostayme does not come out to commentate.

This. Ghost was a great commentator. There's a lot to be said for casters who get genuinely excited, I find it better than just hearing a caster regurgitate the same buzz words and phrases over and over again. The only thing I'd like to thrown is maybe instead of quad view, show the two snipers, one full screen, one mini cam sometimes. Like they use to do on Sanc ts in h2c. Thought it was a nice touch.

I loved the Season 1 finals.  Thanks for the great production commenting and game play.

More maps and a ranked HCS playlist is all I could ask for please.

I enjoyed the finals a great deal more than the other events, that's all I have to say. Everything worked just fine and the quality was good, hopefully every event in Season 2 can be that good or even better. Of course we need more maps, but that's kinda unrelated.

I liked the quad view. Don't have the quad view for the hectic dying moments of a match as it becomes impossible to discern what is going on screen.

Why shouldn't there be Campaign speedruns or non-H2A content? H2A is apart of the MCC package so any content from CE - 4 should be in there, well maybe we can just not put Halo 4 in there at all actually.

Why shouldn't there be Campaign speedruns or non-H2A content? H2A is apart of the MCC package so any content from CE - 4 should be in there, well maybe we can just not put Halo 4 in there at all actually.

Because people in twitch chat are complaining

Plus there's limited time, the info should be relevant to the competitive experience IMO

They should explain the maps and gametypes so people understand what they are watching

Because people in twitch chat are complaining

Plus there's limited time, the info should be relevant to the competitive experience IMO

They should explain the maps and gametypes so people understand what they are watching

Come on, now... the Twitch chat of all places?

Does anyone else remember those quick and short videos MLG created which showed off the map they were about to play, including power weapon spawns and stuff?

That's the sort of stuff I'd like to see comeback for H2A and Halo 5 during HCS events. Play them just before the game starts so new players can get a feel for the maps and gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes I understand it is series, imo though the team that wins more overall games against the other should win.

Also good point on time restraints.

You could also make the argument for tennis. Player A wins the set 6-0, Player B wins the second set 7-5, but at the end of it, it's still tied 1-1. There have been discussions about the pros/cons of continuation series vs series scores since MLG's first tournament. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

When is that not the case?

Seriously.  Twitch chat is a cesspool.  Lets not make important decisions based on that.

• Upvote (+1) 1