BobDaOstrich

Why Is Halo Tournament Viewership So Low?

It is easy to shoot (though not as easy as H2C), but that's a key component of precisely why there is no danger of dying. It's partially due to the maps, and partially due to the longer kill times, but ultimately you play the game differently when you have no individual power. You're skittish and don't make pushes because you know you can't do anything by yourself, which means that players are always in a position to retreat and shrug off bullets from their enemies.

That way of looking at it makes more sense. I took it to mean that basically regardless of where you are, you run little risk of dying, which is obviously not what you meant.

H2A is terrible Halo, its on par with H4 IMO. I mean they're on the same engine if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention it only has three map rotation -- what a bad joke that is.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 7

H2A on par with H4? What a bad post this is. 

Take sprint out of H4, add H2A maps, and you've got the same exact game. No shooting skill gap (everyone can 4 shot blindfolded) Sniper has ridiculous magnetism as well - how does that make it fun to watch? I could maybe endure the last few matches if 3v4 was competent enough to add several more maps.

This one just adds to my dislike, but obviously doesn't change gameplay, but I HATE 3v4's art style. Their art style alone makes it look nothing like Halo to me. But that also concludes that it also looks like H4 aesthetically speaking as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Take sprint out of H4, add H2A maps, and you've got the same exact game. No shooting skill gap (everyone can 4 shot blindfolded) Sniper has ridiculous magnetism as well - how does that make it fun to watch? I could maybe endure the last few matches if 3v4 was competent enough to add several more maps.

This one just adds to my dislike, but obviously doesn't change gameplay, but I HATE 3v4's art style. Their art style alone makes it look nothing like Halo to me. But that also concludes that it also looks like H4 aesthetically speaking as well.

It's not on par if you have to take out core H4 features to compare them....

Also no descope alone makes it much worse and below its level. Along with sprint which was NOT REMOVABLE. Not sure why the salt on being wrong. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's not on par if you have to take out H4 features to compare them....

Also no descope alone makes it much worse 

It's not on par if you have to take out H4 features to compare them....

Also no descope alone makes it much worse 

There was a modded gametype they could have used that also had descope. That and no sprint would literally make it H2A.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

lol

"take out these game breaking, awful features and they are so similar!"

Nice logic. Also, I can almost taste the salt through my screen w/ the littering of 3v4 all throughout your post. This event was one of the best events I've watched in a while. Top 3 for sure. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

There was a modded gametype they could have used that also had descope. That and no sprint would literally make it H2A.

You don't compare what settings COULD have been used to settings that are being used.

It's like saying Reach was great because of Gold Pro and H2A is fine because there are good forge maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Today was a big step forward for viewership..... 24k on a dead game is impressive i think.

We need to wait for H5 with more online tourneys/Ladders, overall need more people on Halo, spectator mode, more money, great production like this event and great commentators like Simms and Walshy.

If H5 turns out to be an actual good game like H3 was and we get some really good tourneys. Then i can see us growing and one day get to them COD viewers with 200k+ 

And not rely on Optic for viewership like MLG does... Literally when either optic team is playing the viewership sky rockets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see how this is so hard to answer...

1) H2:A is boring to watch. The individual skill gap isn't there, BR fights are too simple, snipes aren't impressive, etc. There's only 3 maps but the main thing is the game is too simplified. Classic H2 at least has button combos and a skill gap which makes watching more interesting.

2) Halo itself just isn't s popular. No casuals are watching the tourneys like they did during H2/3. Its basically only diehard Halo fans still watching or even playing. Xbox as a platform is struggling against PC and PS4, etc.

Hopefully Halo 5 can bring back the scene. You need the game itself to be popular in order to have a high viewership. Nobody is playing MCC compared to games like LoL, Starcraft, CS, etc.

24k on a dead game is impressive i think.

If a top 10 game is "dead", does it have more to do with game or the platform? Having only 9 non-dead games on a platform kinda makes it seem like its more about the platform than the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the viewership was pretty good for this tournament I think it hit 25k.

The viewership will probably increase as the game is getting fixed.

If a top 10 game is "dead", does it have more to do with game or the platform? Having only 9 non-dead games on a platform kinda makes it seem like its more about the platform than the game.

Well compare it to Halo 3 when there was 250k+ people online everyday for more then a year.

So yes i consider this game fucking dead.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Well look at it this way.

MCC has been broken for.. 3+ months? That literally sucked the hype out of the game, and the general gaming community has mostly written the game off as a disaster/failure.

+ This weekend you had an MLG CoD event and an LCS event happening.  Despite all of these outside factors the Season 1 Finals peaked at about 24k+ viewers, which in all honestly is a win considering the things I listed above. 

I would not worry too much about MCC viewership, Halo 5 is where it matters. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Well look at it this way.

MCC has been broken for.. 3+ months? That literally sucked the hype out of the game, and the general gaming community has mostly written the game off as a disaster/failure.

+ This weekend you had an MLG CoD event and an LCS event happening.  Despite all of these outside factors the Season 1 Finals peaked at about 24k+ viewers, which in all honestly is a win considering the things I listed above. 

I would not worry too much about MCC viewership, Halo 5 is where it matters. 

Said it better than I ever could. Also, thank you for those hype ass videos on Twitter. Can't stop watching 'em. 

After CLG vs Noble Black I don't see how anyone can say this game can't be entertaining. Halo 4 Global Champs was entertaining and that was Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well compare it to Halo 3 when there was 250k+ people online everyday for more then a year.

So yes i consider this game fucking dead.

There is also 2 million less Xbox ones sold than halo 3 disks so obviously MCC couldn't possible come close to H3 numbers. Didn't ask you if you thought the game was dead anyway.

I was at the HCS finals at Pax. It was very enjoyable for me and other Halo fans who were watching, but even then there wasn't that much hype. Winners finals was sick and losers finals got some attention, but grand finals was very anticlimatic. It was enjoyable to see so many pros and ex pros watching (sat near Ghandi) but overall the game lacks hype. Lack of maps and gametypes is hurting HCS. Hopefully they can raise the hype for season 2 and get more people watching by mixing up maps and gametypes #forge

• Downvote (-1) 1

Here was me thinking we done pretty damn good yesterday.

We did, god dammit we did.

24,000 peak during the finals after 3 months of absolutely terrible PR with CoD and LCS both going on in the background

• Upvote (+1) 2