Sign in to follow this  
Moa

New Rule: .gif sizes

Hey guys.

Across the past few weeks, we've noticed a few users posting .gifs that were extremely large (sometimes up to 40-50MBs in size). Whenever this happens, Google Chrome will just crash and make the topic unreadable until those not using Chrome make enough posts to create a new page. This situation worsens when somebody quotes said .gif and it is displaying multiple times.

This also affect mobile users - phones in general have a lot less power than computers and a lot of users, including myself have a limited amount of internet usage per month. Whenever I open Beyond when I'm not home and I choose a topic with a huge .gif on it, I'm sometimes losing a lot of my data because of it.

After talking it over with other staff members, we have decided to create a new rule that goes into action effective immediately:

Any .gif posted that is over 5MB in size will be removed and you will run the risk of banned from our forums.

If you don't know how the size of the .gif you are about to post, try saving it locally first before posting it on the forums. If you are posting a .gif from Imgur, please change the url from http://i.imgur.com/7hmJ1YX.gif to http://i.imgur.com/7hmJ1YX.gifv. This will turn the .gif into a HTML5 video and will allow mobile users to optionally choose to view it.

If you see a user posting a .gif over 5MB in size, please click the report option.

f1l2wJR.png

We hope you guys can understand where we are coming from with this new rule. If you have any questions about this new rule, please don't hesitate to send myself or anybody on staff a private message.

Thanks,

Beyond Staff.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

every1 raise ur pitchforks to faeyrin!

but a good way to tell is: if it takes awhile to load, its too big. If it looks sharp as hell, it's definitely too big unless its like 8bit color.

Or we can just convert to gfycats like reddit

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's unfortunate people aren't aware that posting images with giant files sizes is a bad thing

Are 50 gifs with each 1mb on one site as bad as one gif with 50mb?

Are 50 gifs with each 1mb on one site as bad as one gif with 50mb?

Justin-Timberlake-Blank-Stare.gif

Can we post them in a spoiler with a warning?

firefox-logo.bee1d85af18f.png

Yeah if you like memory leaks and having 20 tabs open at most. Plus you can't cast in firefox.  :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we post them in a spoiler with a warning?

They still load when in a spoiler :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kinda funny that this thread is 20MB alone

• Upvote (+1) 2